PDA

View Full Version : walker to the knicks?

Mandyahl
07-01-2003, 12:48 AM
link (http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0630/1575035.html)

New York Knicks fans have been so desperate for a trade, they were heard chanting at the NBA draft for a swap involving team president Scott Layden.

Well, Layden reportedly is eyeing a different kind of deal. And no telling what fans would make of it.

According to the New York Daily News, which cites a league source, the Knicks and Celtics have had serious discussions in recent days about a deal involving Boston All-Star forward Antoine Walker.

The newspaper reports a potential deal may include Latrell Sprewell, whose contract matches Walker's, or that possibly Boston hopes to cut payroll and would look at players with lesser salaries, including Kurt Thomas. A third team might be needed to complete the deal, the paper reported.

Walker, who turns 27 this summer, has averaged 20.8 points and 8.7 rebounds in seven NBA seasons. He struggled mightily, however, these last playoffs when Kenyon Martin outplayed him during the Nets' second-round sweep of Boston.

Walker has been the subject of several trade rumors, but he's not necessarily easy to move because his contract pays him $28 million over the next two seasons -- same as Sprewell.

The Knicks have been looking to move Sprewell for some time but haven't found any takers. The team also has five power forwards since drafting Mike Sweetney and Maciej Lampe, making that position ripe for unloading some players.

Nash13
07-01-2003, 12:57 AM
I've come to the decision that Sprewell should not be traded. And even if he was, it wouldn't be for Walker.

Houston, although good, is not worth the $102mil that the Knicks pay him. He in my eyes is the one to trade for lets say a Walker and a sign-and-trade for Walter McCarty.

MavKikiNYC
07-01-2003, 11:18 AM
Then Ash,

Houston's contract is precisely what makes him less tradeable than Sprewell, and thus makes Sprewell more likely to go. Spree's contract, however disproporitonate to his production, is smaller and shorter than Houston's.

The other factor is that Sprewell has a bad attitude and is a disruptive influence in the lockerroom with his refusal/inability to adhere to the most fundamental team policies. Houston, OTOH, is seen as a team anchor and is one of the most active NYKs in terms of community service.

To be sure, there is an element of the NYKs' fanbase that prefers LaTrine's thug image to Houston's cleancut image. But that's just part of what makes it so fun to hate NYK fans.

jayC
07-01-2003, 02:59 PM
BUt so is mobley to the rockets and who better to bring in to help ease the situation by bringing in a van gundy guy. As far as the trade goes , oh hell yeah I would do the trade if I were the celtics but I am a little hesistant to do the deal if Im NY it makes no sense for NY.

Tony tha Mavs fan
07-01-2003, 03:56 PM
i dont think the trade makes sense at all for NY , they drafted like 2 PF's in the draft, and now you add on another power forward with a huge contract? I can understand if your just making the trade to get rid of Spree's contract, but your just adding more salary to your team and not giving the rookies enough playing time.

MavKikiNYC
07-01-2003, 07:01 PM
From NYKs perspective, trade makes at a conceptual level--acquiring a frontcourt scoring threat, which they haven't had since a year or two before Ewing left.

But Walker isn't enough--he's second-tier all the way, and dropping fast. He can't get off the ground anymore offensively, has always been a liability defensively, and is not a power rebounder. His eroded physical skills are a large part of why he's such a 3-point gunner.

And the cap effect would be to the NYK's detriment.

Typical Layden foolishness though.

mavsfanforever
07-01-2003, 07:04 PM
I am not sure if this helps boston much.

Boston will have two very good back court players now. But they will still have the weakness in the inside unless Vin Baker does something extra ordinary.