PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this quote from SI's Phil Taylor?

Hitman
07-02-2003, 08:37 PM
I am kind of suprised by it.

"There's no longer any doubt about whether players from other continents are good enough to play in the NBA. Stars like Dirk Nowitzki and Peja Stojakovic have answered that question. The issue now is whether those guys can help the league reconnect with American fans. If they can, it will be a strong indication that the popularity of the NBA is as dependent on the complexion of the players as it is on the quality of the play, and that's not the answer anyone is looking for."

So if the league gains any popularity in the next couple of years, it is because the fans are racist?

cookies_n_mavs
07-02-2003, 08:39 PM
That didn't make any sense at all.

Mandyahl
07-02-2003, 08:41 PM
that's not very logical at all. just because one thing happens after another doesn't mean there is a cause/effect relationship.

MFFL
07-02-2003, 08:52 PM
I think European players are popular because they can play fundamental basketball - not because of their "complexion".

MavKikiNYC
07-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Taylor misses the point completely--it's not so much the American public that the European players are going to take the game to.

The Euros, the Chinese players, and South American players are going to make the game more popular to the world. Who cares what the fickle American viewing public thinks?

Why didn't this question arise when Olajuwon and Mutombo and Yinka Dare were imported into the league? Did the league's popularity go down then? No. It was at one of its high points.

The NBA is about to go big-time global. The American market is no longer the target. Manufacturing racism is sooo 1990s.

OzMavs
07-02-2003, 10:34 PM
Its pretty obvious Taylor's opinion is very outdated and regressive. I think I've said this before, but when you call the top NBA team the World champions and only include teams from two countries, it detracts from it a little. With the globalisation of the NBA, it kind of gives that title a little more legitimacy. I realise that he was speaking about the disenchantment of existing fans, but I would say the NBA is developing a better product now.

Can anyone see the NBA going global with overseas franchises?

Considering the scale and cost of operations in the US, I doubt whether it would be feasible to do so.

Drbio
07-02-2003, 10:36 PM

I can see it happening in 10 years maybe. But, the next non US or non Canada team will be in Mexico City or Monterrey Mexico.

MFFL
07-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio

I can see it happening in 10 years maybe. But, the next non US or non Canada team will be in Mexico City or Monterrey Mexico.

The travel will be too much.

I think the NBA will try to go to a minor league type system with leagues in other countries but I'm not sure how successful they will be.

Drbio
07-02-2003, 10:53 PM
I am convinced that the NBA will have a team in Mexico soon. A developmental league or a minor league idea is a good one. Like the NFL is doing with NFL Europe maybe.

MFFL
07-02-2003, 11:33 PM
I don't know. The NBA's experiment with Canada was a flop - one team has moved already. MLB had a problem with Canada as well. The most successful Hockey teams are in the US as well.

The problem with having teams in other countries is that the dollar exchange rate can KILL those franchises since they are collecting in local currency but paying the athletes salaries in US currency.

Hitman
07-04-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by: OzMavs
Its pretty obvious Taylor's opinion is very outdated and regressive. I think I've said this before, but when you call the top NBA team the World champions and only include teams from two countries, it detracts from it a little. With the globalisation of the NBA, it kind of gives that title a little more legitimacy. I realise that he was speaking about the disenchantment of existing fans, but I would say the NBA is developing a better product now.

Considering the scale and cost of operations in the US, I doubt whether it would be feasible to do so.

The NBA will be a global league in the next 10 - 15 years. Air travel is getting faster, and the world is getting smaller. David Stern recognize that while basketball is decreasing in popularity in the US, it is booming worldwide.

In the beginning, I could see a situation where there was an "NBA league" in Europe with European teams that was pretty much seperate from the US NBAl, but played a season in conjunction with the NBA and had the respective winners face off in a true "World Championship"

That...would be awesome.