PDA

View Full Version : Clippers offer Brand 5yr/65 million contract

MavsFanFinley
07-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Clippers: Brand weighing the five-year offer

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Thursday, July 3, 2003

News

Los Angeles has offered Elton Brand a five-year, $65 million contract, but the power forward has not decided if he will take the deal, the Los Angeles Times reported. Brand may hold out for a longer deal. "We've consistently said we like our players and would like to re-sign them," Executive Vice President Andy Roeser said of Brand and other Clippers' free agents. "Our first choice is to sit down with them and make a fair deal. We respect their right to go out and see what their alternatives are, but we would be inclined to match any offers."

Views

Another potential factor in Brand's decision may be the free agent situation in San Antonio. If the Spurs are unable to sign Jason Kidd or Jermaine O'Neal, Brand may be the champs' next target. We have to believe that Elton would relish the thought of playing alongside Tim Duncan.

Dooby
07-03-2003, 10:44 AM
I think it is funny that the Clips can't even nut it up and offer a max-year deal to their best player.

Drbio
07-03-2003, 11:17 AM
I'm stunned that Sterling offered that much money at all.

Tony tha Mavs fan
07-03-2003, 11:23 AM
If Elton Brand is smart he would sign a one year deal, and go to a contender next year.

MFFL
07-03-2003, 01:09 PM
I think Brand would sign that contract if he knew that the Clips were going to sign at least 2 more of their free agents. It's a very good contract.

Drbio
07-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by: MFFL
I think Brand would sign that contract if he knew that the Clips were going to sign at least 2 more of their free agents. It's a very good contract.

13 mil per season isn't chump change to be sure. But like MFFL stated, if there is no guarantee that other guys will be playing around him, he may not see the incentive to stay since he will likely get that kind of money somewhere else if not more.

jayC
07-03-2003, 03:08 PM
I believe the deal matches a max deal to the fifth year. Brand hasn't exactly ressurected the clippers franchise either. Hes mr. connsistent with 20 points and 10 boards but hes not a superstar and a max deal should only be reserved for superstars.

Mandyahl
07-03-2003, 03:15 PM
if i were him, i would want to get the heck out of la. the money is nice though.

ClipFan
07-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Elton will probably accept that deal, and the Clippers have to start somewhere. And this is a very good please to start IMO, and when they sign Odom to go along with him that will be the 2 players that can build a winner against. I am not sure about the person who made the contender comment but there is only 2 contenders every year. The Champion and the runner up, in which this year the contenders were the Spurs(Champions) and Nets(runner-up). I think it's a fair offer for Brand, and the Clippers shouldn't overpay him like some teams do with players. Take Bibby for example, he is certainly not worth what he was given, and the same goes for LaFrentz and alot more guys for that matter. Teams will be stuck overpaying them, and not able to move them in the future.

Fidel
07-03-2003, 08:05 PM
I think thatīs a very good contract for Brand. About what heīs worth. And because itīs only going 5 years he can sign another huge contract after this ones up (if he still got game). Heīll be only 29 years old then.

mavsfanforever
07-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
if i were him, i would want to get the heck out of la. the money is nice though.
Can you explain why he will want to get the heck out of LA?

What do you know about the relation Brand has with Sterling? Maybe sterling has promised brand something in future. Why would he get out of LA when he will be the GOTOGUY there. He will not get that privilege even with Cavs now.

ClipFan
07-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Brand is good but he wont be the go to guy next year.

mavsfanforever
07-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by: ClipFan
Brand is good but he wont be the go to guy next year.

Oh Okay. That answers all the questions I had for several years.

I wish I was so descriptive in just one sentence.

OzMavs
07-03-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Clippers: Brand weighing the five-year offer

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Thursday, July 3, 2003

News

Los Angeles has offered Elton Brand a five-year, $65 million contract, but the power forward has not decided if he will take the deal, the Los Angeles Times reported. Brand may hold out for a longer deal. "We've consistently said we like our players and would like to re-sign them,"

Wow. A team that actually likes their players. Keep it coming, Clips.

Mandyahl
07-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever

What do you know about the relation Brand has with Sterling? Maybe sterling has promised brand something in future. Why would he get out of LA when he will be the GOTOGUY there. He will not get that privilege even with Cavs now.

i don't know much about the relationship between sterling and brand, but i do know that the clippers have been a joke for forever. i can see why brand might want to get away from that.

mavsfanforever
07-03-2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by: mavsfanforever

i don't know much about the relationship between sterling and brand, but i do know that the clippers have been a joke for forever. i can see why brand might want to get away from that.

Can you name a few worthy free agents that clippers should have kept? They did offer Kandy the amount he is worth.

Mandyahl
07-03-2003, 11:27 PM
i am not saying i know what the clippers should have done. i am not a gm, and i am certainly not an expert on the situation with the clippers. all i know is that they have never been a contender and aren't expected to be one in the next few years. if brand wants to win more than he wants money, i can see why he would want to go somewhere else.

ClipFan
07-03-2003, 11:58 PM
The Clippers haven't been good because they didn't have the right group of guys together, and once they resign Brand/Odom this summer they will be a playoff team. The Clippers will win this upcoming season but like I said there's only two contenders every year. I don't expect the Clippers to be one of those 2, but if the Mavs dont land Malone, Brown, or one of those types do you really think they will be? The Clippers are finally showing a commitment to win, and still all people can do is bring up their past.

And mavsfanforever, sorry I didn't explain my post to well but the Clippers go to guy this season will be Lamar Odom.

jayC
07-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Its the max in dollars:
Friday, July 4

Clippers reach out to their restricted free agents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Power forward Elton Brand is considering a five-year, nearly $65 million offer from the Los Angeles Clippers, but might wait for a longer-term deal from the team. The salary figures are the same for the first five seasons of a maximum seven-year deal, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday.

Free agents can sign with new teams or re-sign with their current ones starting July 16. Contract negotiations began Tuesday.

Corey Maggette and Denver Nuggets executives met for two hours Wednesday. Center Michael Olowokandi expressed interest in playing for the Nuggets and possibly the Miami Heat, but has reportedly not ruled out re-signing with the Clippers. "We've consistently said we like our players and would like to re-sign them," Clippers executive vice president Andy Roeser said of Brand, Maggette, Andre Miller and Lamar Odom, the team's restricted free agents.

Meanwhile, talks between the Clippers and Mike Dunleavy stalled again after it appeared the two sides were close to an agreement that would fill the team's coaching vacancy. Dunleavy also is being courted by the Atlanta Hawks. The Clippers fired Alvin Gentry on March 3, replacing him with assistant Dennis Johnson for the remainder of the season.

Dunleavy turned down the Clippers' initial four-year offer. He was believed to be close to accepting a shorter-term deal this week but failed to receive assurances from the team that it would retain restricted free agents such as Brand and Maggette.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 02:48 PM
why do all of the clippers want to go to the nuggets? i find that quite amusing.

ClipFan
07-04-2003, 03:19 PM
Who's all of the Clippers? The only Clipper that wants to go to the Nuggets is Corey Maggette, simply because he may have a chance to be the 1st or 2nd option there. He knows he wont be niether for the Clippers next year, nor is he garaunteed to start. Andre Miller wants to go to Utah, as everyone knows. Odom and Brand wants to be, and will be Los Angeles Clippers next year. But it's only Maggette, and that's hardly amusing if you ask me. Olowokandi is an UFA, so don't even consider him a Clipper.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 03:30 PM
sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

i was only noticing that a bunch of guys that were clippers last year have expressed interest in denver (maggette, olowokandi, maybe a third guy, i can't remember).

thebac
07-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Five years is reasonable, and the money is great for a player like Brand. Unless he really hates LA or the Clippers or both, I think he'd be nuts not to sign. It's $65 million, and as Fidel pointed out, he has another payday to go in his career unless he really tanks it in the near future.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 04:34 PM
right, that's what i was saying. it's a lot of money, but if he hates the clippers, he could probably get good money somewhere else too.

ClipFan
07-04-2003, 09:23 PM
He likes Odom, and they both love LA and the Clippers.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 10:11 PM
ok, then maybe he will accept it and stay. i am sure you have a better idea of what is happening than i do.