PDA

View Full Version : Malone and GP a Laker?

Tony tha Mavs fan
07-04-2003, 11:49 AM
Los Angeles Times: The Lakers' negotiations with Karl Malone have gone so well that they are considering the possibility they could sign him and still offer their full mid-level exception to Gary Payton.

Sources with knowledge of conversations between Malone and General Manager Mitch Kupchak said Malone expressed a desire to sign with the Lakers as well as an appreciation for their wish for a guard, namely Payton.

Malone, it appears, has made the Lakers the perfect offer: his services for as low as the veteran's minimum exception ($1.5 million for the first year), or whatever rate they agree would be necessary to top off their roster with Payton. It is possible the offer is dependent on the mid-level money going to Payton. If not, the Lakers could split the mid-level to improve their depth in the backcourt and sign another front-court player, perhaps Robert Horry, or use the entire mid-level exception for Malone. The Lakers also could lose Malone if Payton declines their offer.

In the process, Malone has convinced the Lakers that his only agenda, in what would be his 19th NBA season, would be to win the championship that eluded him in Utah.

It would be an extraordinary gesture by a 39-year-old player still skilled enough to have been selected to last year's All-Star game and next year's Olympic team. Last season, Malone averaged at least 20 points for the 17th consecutive season and was the only power forward endorsed by Horry on the day Horry's option was not exercised.

Malone, who as a free agent also has drawn interest from the San Antonio Spurs, is still well regarded as a rebounder and defender, enough that Shaquille O'Neal already has given his blessing to any deal that would bring in Malone.

Payton is expected to sit down with Kupchak sometime this holiday weekend, perhaps today. He earned $12.6 million last season, which he split between the Seattle SuperSonics and the Milwaukee Bucks, and in the open market or in a sign-and-trade deal could fetch nearly three times the $4.7 million or so the Lakers have available for their mid-level exception.

As it stands, Malone is waiting on the Lakers, who are waiting on Payton

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2003, 11:55 AM
What a nightmare that would be. Can you imagine?

Shaq, Malone, Fox, Kobe, Payton

Tony tha Mavs fan
07-04-2003, 11:57 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing. Only question is, will there be enough looks for all the players to keep them happy?

Evilmav2
07-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Arrrrrrggghhh!!! This is a foolish nightmare. Malone will sign for $1.5 in LA? We have dropped the ball on Malone, and unfortunately our championship aspirations may pay a terrible price for our misguided Mourning pursuit...

Hitman
07-04-2003, 12:51 PM
This is not good news. I would reach out to Malone IMMEDIATELY. I thought he hated Shaq and Kobe?

LakerMania
07-04-2003, 01:01 PM
http://photos.gznet.com/photos/1151576/1151576-R!aHVkJ3Ms.jpg

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Hitman
07-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by: LakerMania
http://photos.gznet.com/photos/1151576/1151576-R!aHVkJ3Ms.jpg

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Nice, but I hope Malone is not wearing 32 in that picture!

LakerMania
07-04-2003, 01:16 PM
^^^^

lol

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 02:47 PM
are you even kidding? malone in la for the 1.5?? noooooooo.

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2003, 05:10 PM
The Lakers are probably the only team that Malone would settle for that low of pay. I don't think he'd even come to Dallas for that salary.

I think Payton would take the MLE and you'd have your 2004 world champions with that starting lineup.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 05:14 PM
i agree, i don't think malone would come to dallas for that.

but if he does go to the lakers and they do get payton, that team is the instant favorite to win the championship, no matter what we do in the off season.

MavKikiNYC
07-04-2003, 05:57 PM
I wonder what the triangle will look like with Glove and Malone in the lineup.

Cuban (and Nellie) had better know what he's doing with his pursuit of Mourning. He will cement a reputation as a billion-dollar dolt if he lets Malone and GP get off to LA, while all he ends up with is a worn out pair of kidneys.

seelenjaeger
07-04-2003, 06:35 PM
I donīt think Malone will go to LA.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 07:08 PM
any reasons or just a gut feeling?

mavsfanforever
07-04-2003, 07:26 PM
If this is true, all the teams can forget about championship.

Lakers lineup will have -

a). Best Centre
b). Best SG
c). Arguably best PG.
d). Top 5 PF.

e). Put anyone and it will work.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 07:49 PM
the only things that could keep them from a championship would be injuries or an implosion.

jayC
07-04-2003, 08:09 PM
I was with you said malone a top five pf not any more hes not.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 08:12 PM
wow, jayc, that has to be the most confusing sentence ever.

mattyd
07-04-2003, 08:13 PM
This is very troubling news...

just when a lot of us were thinking that L.A. was taking a step down, it looks like they may become an unstoppable force.

I hate to say that the pursuit of Mourning is foolish - I really think he can help - but if the Mavs did this at the expense of giving away Malone to L.A. then shame on the Mavs.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 08:17 PM
it's all just a bunch of rumors right now. but malone and gp to la would be bad news.

ClipFan
07-04-2003, 09:28 PM
VERY BAD NEWS, I mentioned a few days ago that the Mavs should definitely go after Malone. And if Malone and Payton both went to LA, the only thing that would stop them would be a injury or something. But Malone hasnt missed many games in his career, and Payton is not injury prone either but Shaq has missed games over the last few seasons. I still think if they have Malone, Payton, Kobe, Shaq, Whoever as their starting 5 going into any kind of playoffs, they may sweep the playoffs. I am not sure, but can someone please tell me why the Mavs aren't very high on Malone? I think he would be a perfect fit here.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 10:12 PM
well, we aren't that high on him because dirk plays the same position: pf. also, he is old. i am not saying i wouldn't like him, but that's my guess as to why cuban and nellie didn't go after him first.

ames7
07-04-2003, 11:27 PM
I never thought it was that great of an idea to go after Malone, at least not as a top priority, & this is especially the case after he whined about not being anyone's top priority, but this would still be very very scary. That being said, I just don't believe it will happen. $1.5 mil?? Really? C'mon. I would be very surprised if this actually went down.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 11:33 PM
it's kinda like what happened with the avs, eh?

MFFL
07-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
it's kinda like what happened with the avs, eh?

Too scary - I wonder if Malone got the idea from that scenario?

ames7
07-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Oh jeez, I wasn't even thinking that avenue. Creepy.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 11:44 PM
it's actually a pretty similar situation. malone has been loyal to a team for years, but they part on bad terms, so he decides to take a massive paycut to try and win a championship, as long as gary payton comes, too.

ClipFan
07-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Malone maybe old, but he is still producing at a very hgih level. Why can't the Mavs play Dirk at the 3 like they have done in the past, I would think Malone being at the 4 would be better defensively for the Mavs, right? I think it's obvious to everyone around the league what the Mavs need to become a contender, I don't really understand why they wouldn't make Malone their top priority. I do remember him saying that Dallas was on his list of places he would like to play next season. I think Zo would be a good fit, if healthy but Malone is definitely the guy. He is still producing, and has made it clear he wants to play in Dallas. There's just to many question marks about Zo for any team to rely on him to take them over the top, now Malone on the other hand? Perfect fit IMO, but that's just my opinion.

Mandyahl
07-05-2003, 12:27 AM
dirk can't really play defense at the three, and neither can malone. if healthy, zo is better for this team than malone is. the question is if zo is healthy.

kg_veteran
07-05-2003, 11:15 AM
I really feared something like this. You just can't snub a guy like the Mailman. He has too much pride.

Chicago JK
07-05-2003, 11:24 AM
I will eat my shorts if malone signs for the veteran minimum. Malone has one of the biggest ego's as anyone in the league and is as Money driven as anyone else is too. Malone will take the highest offer in all probability. Expect more Malone rumors than anyone else in free agency. Malone is a attention whore and I am sure he doesn't like that both Mourning and Kidd are stealing all his thunder. Expect a lot more Malone rumore over the next week and a half.

Hitman
07-05-2003, 01:25 PM
No one has a bigger ego than Jordan and he played for the minimum with the Wizards.

If I were Cuban I would have at least called and offered him something.

Hitman
07-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Nash vs. Payton
Finley vs. Kobe
Dirk vs. Malone
Zo vs. Shaq

Who do you like in that one?

Chicago JK
07-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by: Hitman
No one has a bigger ego than Jordan and he played for the minimum with the Wizards.

If I were Cuban I would have at least called and offered him something.

Remember though that Jordan thought he had ownership in the team after he stopped playing. Ted Leonis(SP?), one of the big guys in AOL will have first right to purchase the team when Pollin sells soon. Leonis and Jordan are close and Jordan was promised ownership stake in both the Wizzards and the Capitals. In fact, I believe he had a small percentage before he came back to play for the Wizzards. He had to give back the portion because you cannot have any ownership stake when playing in the NBA.

Mandyahl
07-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by: Hitman
Nash vs. Payton
Finley vs. Kobe
Dirk vs. Malone
Zo vs. Shaq

Who do you like in that one?

let's see
nash vs. payton: very slight edge to nash
finley vs. kobe: kobe, duh
dirk vs. malone: dirk, duh
zo vs. shaq: shaq, duh

so it is 2-2, but the lakers have the two more obvious advantages. if we couldn't match up with them when it was just shaq and kobe, how would we do it if they added malone and payton into the mix?

foglemann
07-06-2003, 02:56 AM
this is dumb to even talk about. Chicago said the truth, Malone would NEVER play for some pocket change. I don't think winning a champ. is as high on his list as getting the scoring title. If he goes and takes that 1.5, I will eat major crow. But adding both Malone, who wants even more money, and Payton, a guy that could get around 6 or 7 mil. from a pretty good team, I think LA is last on their list.

ClipFan
07-06-2003, 04:17 AM
I would take Payton over Nash, but the only winner of those matchuips is Dirk but not by much IMO. And really it wouldn't matter since Kobe and Shaq are so much better than their counterparts individually.

Mandyahl
07-06-2003, 01:08 PM
yes, clipfan. it doesn't really matter how you slice it, if gp and the mailman went to la, we would be screwed.