PDA

View Full Version : Peter May is an idiot

Hitman
07-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Are there certain hoops analysts who strike you as complete idiots? For me, there a few - Sean Deveney at the Sporting News (who I exchange emails with and claims that Finley is still the best player on the Mavericks) and Peter May from ESPN.com.

I respect Bob Ryan immensely. Same goes for Kenny Smith, Mark Stein, Chad Ford, and many others. But there are a lot of guys that go out of their way to make silly predictions and half the time they have no idea what they are talking about.

Here are some thoughts from Mr. May from January.

"The Kings will beat the Pacers in the Finals. And all of those people who doubted Isiah Thomas' ability to get this team to that point will, in unison, offer their mea culpas."

Ummm..no.

"The supposed mega free agent class won't be what it's cranked up to be for one reason -- most of the big names will stay put. The one known team-changer will be Michael Olowokandi."

Ummm..no.

"Yao will show what the fuss is all about, but he also will unavoidably crash in the spring. "

Ummm..no.

"We all know who's going to be No. 1 in the draft. Well here's an early projection about No. 2 -- Syracuse's Carmelo Anthony. Can't see any team bypassing (him) for some foreign big. "

Ummmm..no.

"It's going to be a long, cold summer in Denver. GM Kiki Vandeweghe has done wonders ridding the team of the many, ill-advised moves by his predecessor, Dan Issel. But even with all that cap room, it's hard to see star- quality guys want to go to a team like that. It didn't happen in Chicago. "

Ummmm..no.

Mandyahl
07-04-2003, 03:28 PM
yeah, he was pretty much way off on all of those. either he is going for the shock value or he is just plain dumb.

thebac
07-04-2003, 03:49 PM
I'm shocked that you left out Vecsey. Unless, of course, he doesn't quite qualify as a hoops analyst due to his very limited knowledge. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif