PDA

View Full Version : Parker Doesn't Welcome Net's Kidd

Tony tha Mavs fan
07-07-2003, 11:35 AM
New York Times: While Jason Kidd visited San Antonio yesterday in his first free-agent recruiting trip, Tony Parker, the Spurs' point guard, was vacationing in the Bahamas, wondering if he would be left out in the cold next season.

Parker recently told his friends, family and teammates that he did not want to take a back seat to Kidd in the backcourt, a person briefed on Parker's stance said.

If the Spurs choose to spend their free-agent money, close to $16 million, on Kidd and not on a forward like Jermaine O'Neal or Elton Brand, then Parker will consider asking for a trade, he recently told Spurs officials.

With no disrespect intended toward Kidd, considered the league's top point guard, Parker, who has played the position since learning the game in France, told people close to him that he wanted to run his own team.

"He loves San Antonio and would love to finish his career there," the person said. "But he feels like he's a point guard and doesn't want to play a two-guard position. Nor does he want to play a backup to a player he won a championship against.

"He's made it clear to the team that if they choose to do that, he would want to be playing elsewhere."

MavKikiNYC
07-07-2003, 11:42 AM
"He's made it clear to the team that if they choose to do that, he would want to be playing elsewhere."

Hel-loooo, elsewhere.

signoftimes
07-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Parker has every right to feel this way. He is a tremendous guard for his age. I don't think any guard that just won a championship at his age should be forced to play second chair to anyone.

This could have a prfound impact for the team harmony if they do bring in Kidd

hero = dirk
07-07-2003, 12:07 PM
yeah parker has a right ot play somewhere else. if he wants to start as PG and play most of the game, he will have to look elsewhere if kidd goes to SA. wonder where he'll end up?

kg_veteran
07-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC

Hel-loooo, elsewhere.

Yep. If the Spurs do acquire Kidd, I fully expect Parker to be gone as part of a package to try and acquire a frontcourt mate for Duncan.

Bayliss
07-07-2003, 10:09 PM
And from a Dallas standpoint, which is a better matchup for us?

Kidd/Duncan or Parker/Duncan?

Yes, Kidd is the better player. But Parker gives us fits because of his quickness. In all seriousness I hope the Spurs do get Kidd and let Parker go. We match up better.... and add to the fact that it will probably be harder for them to get frontcourt help if they go after Kidd......

Nash13
07-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Bayliss, Kidd doesn't perform that well when he plays against Dallas.

Anyways, I know how Parker feels, but at the same time, he hasn't really done anything to impress me since he's been in the NBA. I mean yeah he started as a rookie, but he beat out players like Antonio Daniels and Speedy Claxton. He does play more like a shooting guard, and he really didn't play that well in the finals with the exception of one game.

What i'm trying to say is that if i were Greg Popovich, i would certainly sign Kidd b/c he fits the Spurs type of game.

MFFL
07-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by: signoftimes
Parker has every right to feel this way. He is a tremendous guard for his age. I don't think any guard that just won a championship at his age should be forced to play second chair to anyone.

He shouldn't and he won't - if the Spurs sign Kidd then Parker will be gone so fast that his head will spin. I wonder if the Spurs would trade him to the Nets in a sign and trade?

Nash13
07-07-2003, 10:50 PM
MFFL, they wouldn't need to do that b/c they'll have cap room to sign Kidd. I believe that the Spurs should get a scorer at the 2 and trade both Parker and Jackson.

MFFL
07-07-2003, 10:59 PM
To give Kidd the max salary then Spurs will need to do a sign and trade. There's a substanstial difference in salary between what the Nets could give (and trade) and what Kidd could get as a FA

Mandyahl
07-08-2003, 12:01 AM
umm i swear i read somewhere that parker said he and kidd could fit in the same backcourt and that he could easily slide to the two guard. i am not saying the spurs wouldn't trade him if they got kidd because they probably would, but that directly contradicts what this article said. weird.

Nash13
07-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by: MFFL
To give Kidd the max salary then Spurs will need to do a sign and trade. There's a substanstial difference in salary between what the Nets could give (and trade) and what Kidd could get as a FA

I realize that, but he still should get quite a grip. Also, there's no point of trading for player that you are going to get anyway. I wouldn't trade Parker for Kidd, but i would trade Parker for someone else if Kidd signed.

cookies_n_mavs
07-08-2003, 01:17 PM
I like this matchup if we keep Nash. Nash can play well against Kidd, but Parker seems to give him some trouble sometimes.

Let Parker go his own way

Intruder
07-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Parker makes somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 million. It is not in the best interest of the Spurs to trade him right now. Maybe next year by offering an extension and then trading him.... What crap are the Spurs going to get in return for Parker as a million dollar player?

Intruder

Mandyahl
07-08-2003, 04:23 PM
they could package him with someone else, but they don't have a lot of overpaid crap on their roster, so it would probably be difficult.

Nash13
07-08-2003, 04:27 PM
Good point Intruder, that's why they should throw an extra player like Jackson, Steve Smith, or maybe Bruce Bowen.