PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 2 reports Payton has agreed to sign wtih the Lakers

FilthyFinMavs
07-08-2003, 04:04 PM
Did anyone else hear this? This is bad news for any West team. Turn on ESPN 2 now and you may still see it on the bottom of the screen.

Mandyahl
07-08-2003, 04:13 PM
yeah...two threads started at almost the exact same time. this is really, really horrible news if it is true.

FilthyFinMavs
07-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
yeah...two threads started at almost the exact same time. this is really, really horrible news if it is true.

Yea my comp is so slow that when I looked to see if anyone posted it no one but just knowing my comp I knew this would happen lol. I think this puts the Mavs in the position that now they have to do something. I hope Payton's decision wasn't made because has somehow agreed to play for the Lakers.

Nash13
07-08-2003, 04:19 PM
since someone already posted in this one, i'll use this one.

Anyways, who cares. We already knew he was b/c Miami wasn't going to give him 11mil, or resign ZO. I don't think he's going to do well in the first half of next seasons. He'll see that his number are going to go way down, and there's a probable chance that he's not going to make the all star team.

signoftimes
07-08-2003, 04:23 PM
espn.com I posted in the other thread also, but this one is getting more traffic. Here's what espn.com has so far:

Money isn't everything, at least not to Gary Payton. The All-Star point guard will sign with the Lakers, choosing their $4.9 million salary over teams with more salary cap space, ESPN.com learned Tuesday afternoon.

DNNF
07-08-2003, 04:26 PM
IMO, lakers only make a difference if a healthy, in shape Shaq comeback. Payton have to get used to playing with two ball hogs players, and put his ego aside

FilthyFinMavs
07-08-2003, 04:33 PM
The way I see it 3 things will happen. Either chemistry and egos stop this team from winning it all or the additiion of Payton does nothing similiar to when the Clipps added Andre Miller or this team puts all egos to side and just plays. I don't know just the thought of Payton and Kobe is scary to me. Don't forget yes he is old but this guy put up 20/8 last season and it might've been higher if he would've stayed with the Sonics. While I am thinking about Payton and Kobe everyone is forgetting they still have the best player in basketball with Shaq. This is horrible news for the West.

Blonde Bomber
07-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Shaq will be old Shaq this year and paring that with Kobe and Payton is damn scary, even without Malone they just jumped over everybody else in the west.

It will make me sick if Malone sign for 1.5

Damn I hate the Lakers!!!i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

Mandyahl
07-08-2003, 04:58 PM
cuban better be talking to malone RIGHT now. but i fear it is too late.

DNNF
07-08-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
Shaq will be old Shaq this year and paring that with Kobe and Payton is damn scary, even without Malone they just jumped over everybody else in the west.

It will make me sick if Malone sign for 1.5

Damn I hate the Lakers!!!i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

I think Dallas is just not an attracted free agent city regardless of our winning records. All other people think that Dallas only have cows and horses. Maybe all dallas woman would dye their hair blonde and get some silicone would attract more of them to come i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

DNNF
07-08-2003, 05:22 PM
I rather let the Lakers sign Malone too, then I will call MTV to advise them to start a show because, there will definitely be some Drama going on next year with two old guys standing around bitching about Kobe taking 40 shots , and shaq is taking 30.

Mandyahl
07-08-2003, 05:44 PM
i wouldn't bet on the fact that that team will implode. it might happen, but i still wouldn't want to face a team with gp, kobe, malone, and shaq.

FilthyFinMavs
07-08-2003, 05:48 PM
i wouldn't bet on the fact that that team will implode. it might happen, but i still wouldn't want to face a team with gp, kobe, malone, and shaq.

It's bad enough facing a team with Shaq and Kobe. You get 2 more potential all stars? With that state tax being involved in Cali you mean to tell me Malone would pass up our non state tax state to sign a 1.5 mill deal and deal with the state tax?

Mandyahl
07-08-2003, 05:51 PM
well, if he is even considering signing for the 1.5, then that means that money isn't really the object for him. now that the lakers have payton, too, it is obvious that that would be the best place to go in terms of championship chances.

Mandyahl
07-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Agent: Lakers look 'very attractive' with Payton
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Dwight Manley, the agent for Karl Malone, told ESPN.com Tuesday that he expects Malone to make a decision on his free-agent future Wednesday or Thursday, after hearing that Gary Payton plans to join the Los Angeles Lakers.

"Karl is at his ranch in Arkansas right now, and it'll probably be a day or two before he decides," Manley said. "As far as the Lakers (adding Payton), it really clarifies the Lakers for Karl. It definitely makes it very attractive."

Malone has shown strong interest in the Lakers from the start of the free agent negotiations on July 1, to a degree that the Hall of Fame-bound power forward is apparently willing to join the dethroned champions for a mere $1.5 million -- a cut of almost $18 million from his 2002-03 salary.

The $1.5 million figure is the most L.A. can offer Malone next season after committing its $4.9 million mid-level exception to Payton. Manley, though, emphasized that Malone's decision is "really not about the money at this point."

"Karl is going to go somewhere he is made to feel wanted," Manley said.

The Lakers practically would be panting at the prospect of signing Malone to fill their longstanding void at power forward, especially after Payton sent word through agent Aaron Goodwin on Tuesday that he plans to sign with L.A. on July 16, the first day NBA teams can sign players this offseason.

To add both of those heavyweights, for a combined $6.4 million next season, is a dream scenario for Lakers coach Phil Jackson, even though there will inevitably be concerns about fitting four Hall of Famer personalities into the same locker room. Given the history of struggle between Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, tossing in the headstrong tag team of Payton and Malone guarantees that Jackson will have plenty of egos to massage.

It's a gamble, though, the capped-out Lakers would happily take, after a tumultuous season that ended with O'Neal and Bryant lacking the help to avoid a second-round playoff loss to San Antonio that halted L.A.'s run of three successive championships.

Manley stopped short of saying Malone has ruled out a return to the Utah Jazz, the only team Malone has played for in his 18-season career. Manley did, however, say that Malone is intent on "going where he can win a championship," which can only enhance the Lakers' chances. If Malone elects not to follow Payton to Hollywood, he is still drawing interest from San Antonio and Dallas.

It's believed that Malone, who turns 40 on July 24, will not consider re-signing with the Jazz for less than the $8 million earned by John Stockton in his final season. Should Malone sign elsewhere, and with Stockton having retired after the season, Utah would have nearly $20 million in salary-cap space to undertake a dramatic restructuring of its roster.

link (http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1578261.html)

seelenjaeger
07-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Im not sure if this will work for long. Actually, Im crossing my fingers on Lakers not having enough spotlight for those egos.

The Crippler
07-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Maybe all dallas woman would dye their hair blonde and get some silicone would attract more of them to come i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

obviously you don't live in Dallas b/c that is the definition of most Dallas women.

Lvubun1
07-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Not too worried, having a bunch of all-stars mean nothing. Couple years ago the Lakers had 4 players that made the all-star team, Shaq, Kobe, Quick, and Eddie Jones, and they lost in the WCF. Of course, with Phil Jackson as head coach instead of Del things might have been different, but I can't remember the last time a "all-star" team won a NBA championship. Spurs, Lakers, Rockets, Bulls, Pistons, those are the teams have won titles the last 15 years and they all had no more then 2 top-level players. Its not like Hockey(Red Wings) or Baseball(Yankees) where you can buy up all the best free agents and win, it doesn't work like that in Basketball. Kobe(if he isn't in Alcatraz) isn't going to concede to Payton and Malone, he can't even do it to Shaq. By the all-star break somebody gets traded.

Mandyahl
07-08-2003, 07:38 PM
the lakers with shaq, kobe, nick, and jones weren't as good as this team will be. kobe has gotten better, gp is better than nick, and malone is better than jones. i am still scared of this team.

MFFL
07-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
The way I see it 3 things will happen. Either chemistry and egos stop this team from winning it all or the additiion of Payton does nothing similiar to when the Clipps added Andre Miller or this team puts all egos to side and just plays. I don't know just the thought of Payton and Kobe is scary to me. Don't forget yes he is old but this guy put up 20/8 last season and it might've been higher if he would've stayed with the Sonics. While I am thinking about Payton and Kobe everyone is forgetting they still have the best player in basketball with Shaq. This is horrible news for the West.

The Lakers MIGHT implode year after next but next year everyone will be trying to win the championship.

OutletPass
07-08-2003, 07:56 PM
This is just horrible news...and if Malone follows, it'll be a lot worse.

The whole complexion in the West has been changed by a team WITH NO CAP ROOM WHATSOEVER.

If we don't get something of impact done, I want to see everyone grade our off season vs. the Laker's offseason....

FilthyFinMavs
07-08-2003, 08:30 PM
If Malone is willing ot take the 1.5 exception wouldn't Cuban be all over him right now?

FilthyFinMavs
07-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by: MFFL

The Lakers MIGHT implode year after next but next year everyone will be trying to win the championship.

I agree.

BTW, this team is no way in hell like the Jones, Nick, Shaq and Kobe era. While that was a great team and if they were in the same position now they would've been even better (Don't forget Elden Campbell was apart of that team) but this team is full of hall of famers. That team you had with Del is a team that was full of young talented players who weren't at full potential. This team right here is not only hungry for a championship but have hall of famers. This is scary.

jayC
07-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Yeah it sucks but the triangle isn't predicated on point guard play. GP is 35 and is out of his prime its not like LA got him when he went to the finals in 97. I just wonder if Karl Malone really will take 1.5 million I hope not. I think Karl stays on this one. duncan is the best in the west he dominated shaq. Imagine san antonio with candiman and lamar odom.

MFFL
07-08-2003, 09:32 PM
If Malone is willing ot take the 1.5 exception wouldn't Cuban be all over him right now?

Malone is willing to take the 1.5 exception FROM THE LAKERS. The Lakers have a mystique about them like the Cowboys do - EVERYONE loves or hates them. And almost every player would kill and die for the chance to play for them.

Mandyahl
07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
also, the lakers now have gp, kobe and shaq. if malone wants to win a championship, that's the logical place to go, no matter how much he gets paid.

MavsFanFinley
07-08-2003, 10:23 PM
I don't understand those that believe the Lakers will implode. How? Why?

Shaq is supposedly getting himself back in shape and rededicating himself for the upcoming season. The management focused on needs in the draft by selecting a pf (Brian Cook) and a sf (Luke Walton).

And they've managed to go after Payton and most likely Malone when they have NO cap room. Malone and Payton are at the end of their careers, why wouldn't they sacrifice a bit for the guarantee of winning a championship?

Sorry folks, but you can only WISH they will implode.

mattyd
07-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Wishing they implode is pretty much all the rest of the league can do...if GP and Malone sign with L.A. they will be far and away the best team in the league.

Getting 2 HOF players at bargain prices just doesn't seem fair...did Cuban blow it?

Mandyahl
07-08-2003, 10:48 PM
if he could do it over again, i bet he would go after malone hard and fast on july 1. but there's no way he could have seen this coming.

Nash13
07-08-2003, 11:35 PM
I'm not buying the fact that this team is oh so frightening. I know they're all stars and all, but the lakers still haven't answered a couple questions.

1. How good will George and Fox be?

2. How will Fisher react to this?

3. What will happen when one of those players go down? Will they be deep enough to win?

4. Who will be their go-to-guy?

No matter what people say, it's not going to be easy for all 4 players to cooperate all 82 games and in the playoffs.

Mandyahl
07-08-2003, 11:39 PM
1. it doesn't really matter
2. who cares?
3. yes. they will still have three all-stars. and the same question can be asked for any team.
4. that's the thing...they can go to anyone, which makes them impossible to defend at the ends of games.

MavsFanFinley
07-09-2003, 12:08 AM
1. How good will George and Fox be?

George should be fine or even better. The ankle injury slowed him down but he'll be a solid starter or off the bench guy behind Fox. Fox is getting older and one of the pieces they need to replace, imo. Especially with George more than capable of starting and having the luxury of bringing along a young guy like Walton. However, there are worse things than having a guy like Fox starting for you when you upgrade other positions or off the bench if need be.

2. How will Fisher react to this?

Does it matter? Who is he to throw a fit of any kind? Payton just took his place and he better be satisfied coming off the bench behind him if he wants to stay in LA. Surely he'd know just how damn lucky he would be.

3. What will happen when one of those players go down? Will they be deep enough to win?

Who're we talking about? If it's Shaq, yeah, that could be a problem. But, Malone is still a force and Slavo could possibly fill in enough with the talent that surrounds him. If it's Malone? They do have Madsen off the bench and Brian Cook. If it's Kobe? I think they get by just fine with guys like Rush and Pargo. If it's Payton? They still have Fisher to get things done. I don't think they'd have to worry about one player going down, but if you're talking 2 or more then maybe. But, isn't that so for any team?

Who will be their go-to-guy?

I think you have to go back to Shaq, especially if he's gotten back into shape and refocused. Can you imagine having Kobe and GP moving without the ball? Not to mention Malone roaming around and one of the better passing big men.

Nash13
07-09-2003, 12:29 AM
2. who cares?
3. yes. they will still have three all-stars. and the same question can be asked for any team.
4. that's the thing...they can go to anyone, which makes them impossible to defend at the ends of games.

1. There still needs to be a SF in the starting lineup.

2. Fisher has been there starter for the past while, and how will he respond to being bench. While i'm on that subject, the Lakers have too many 1/2s that don't play that consistently.

3. The other 3 teams have enough depth on their bench to be well-off, not LA.

4. Maybe that part of the reason that Garnett can't make it past the 1st round, cause he passes too much, so there is no go-to-guy. The Lakers will need to address that issue, b/c it could turn out bad if all 4 stars try to be the guy all at once, it'll look sloppy.

5. MFF, you made some good points.

6. Mandy, my point is is that it takes more than four people to win a championship, no matter who those four people are.

one long blue sock
07-09-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by: Nash13

2. who cares?

1. There still needs to be a SF in the starting lineup.

It doesn't matter if they stick anyone from T-Mac to Dirk's cuzin, they are perfectly filled for 1,2,4, and 5... which is alot more than Dallas, Sac-town, SA, or NJ can say.

Lvubun1
07-09-2003, 08:01 PM
http://38.118.133.180/recap0203/2003_07_08_TheBigFour.jpg