PDA

View Full Version : 7/10 ESPN INSIDER (Kidd ultimatum and More)

OutletPass
07-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Kidd to Nets: Scott must go
By Terry Brown
NBA Insider
Thursday, July 10
Updated: July 10
8:47 AM ET

The New York Post is reporting that Jason Kidd has given the New Jersey Nets the mother of all ultimatums.

Either head coach Byron Scott goes or he goes.

Kidd

"Jason expressed concerns, ranging from team personnel, to life after basketball to the current coaching situation," said an unnamed source to the Post. "This has been brewing for some time."

For his part, Scott said he was shocked and refused to acknowledge any rift between him and his star player. He immediately sent his agent, Tim McInerney, to talk to Kidd's agent, Jeff Schwartz.

"I talked to Jeff Schwartz frequently and we both believe that whatever is decided should be decided in a professional manner and not in a public debate," McInerney said. "I doubt the validity of this meeting without an official comment from Rod Thorn. These releases harm the franchise, harm the players, harm players' families. Everything should only be released through Rod Thorn."

Rumors of the rift between Scott and Kidd surfaced shortly after the San Antonio Spurs defeated the Nets in the NBA Finals, with Kidd reportedly saying that his son T.J. could have done a better job of coaching.

This week, Kidd was in San Antonio discussing a free-agent deal that would put him on the Spurs roster and leave the Nets without their franchise player.

Gilbert Arenas, who?

Lon Babby, the agent for restricted free agent point guard Andre Miller, is saying that it is his client who the Denver Nuggets really want and not the Golden State Warriors' Gilbert Arenas.

Miller

"We certainly came away with the idea that (Miller) is someone they are very anxious to have here," Babby said in the Denver Post. "Obviously, that makes an impression. We had a chance to look around the city, and it was a very impressive trip. But he promised himself that he wouldn't make relative judgments until he visits all the places. . . I won't get into the financial point, but it's obvious they want him here. He just has to decide. He has to go through the process. I wouldn't imagine if he decided to come to Denver that working out a financial deal would be an issue."

Miller, who played collegiately in Utah and for the Clippers last season, still has a scheduled visit with the Jazz, his agent saying he will take as much time as he needs to make a decision.

Mulling over Mourning

The Dallas Mavericks and New Jersey Nets seem to be in a tug of war over Alonzo Mourning and it's left Miami Heat coach Pat Riley stuck in the middle with little more than $1.5 million to offer his free-agent center despite having $11 million in cap space.

Mourning

"There are five guys I really have targeted [and] I don't believe I'm going to get any of them," Riley said in the Miami Herald. "I'm not saying the next level is mediocre, but I'm not sure it's going to be the right player that's going to get us over the top. . . . We'll have to make some decisions, or we'll just preserve the [cap] room."

Meanwhile, both the Mavs and Nets are reportedly offering Mourning four- year deals worth $22.5 million.

"I want to win and Jason wants to win," Mourning is quoted in the Herald. "Who wouldn't want to play with Jason Kidd?"

He also had some nice things to say about Dallas.

"You know Mark (Cuban's) swagger," Mourning said in the Ft. Worth Star Telegram. "He wants to win at any cost, so that's what he's about. He's going to do what it takes to make that a winning franchise. You've got to respect him for that, because he's dedicated in doing it. He has the ability to do that."

But even with that, Mourning still hasn't made up his mind.

"Obviously I want to be paid for my services, but it's not just about the money," Mourning said. "It's about winning, trying to get to the Finals and having an opportunity to win. I want to be here, but I understand Riles has to make the right decision for this franchise. He's already explained to me that he has to rebuild, and I told him I want to win . . . I understand my value and what I bring to the game, and I know that a lot of teams are trying to get to that championship level and they're a piece or two away from doing it. I'm still trying to filter some things through my overall decision-making and hope that I do make the right one for the future."

Newble to the Bulls?

Ira Newble isn't sure if he'll be playing for the Atlanta Hawks, his current team, or the Chicago Bulls next season, but either way, it could be under coach Terry Stotts.

The free agent was in Chicago this week to discuss a deal that would pay him about $1.8 million this season while the Bulls also try to sign small forward Scottie Pippen to the $4.8 million mid-level exception. Of course, other teams are looking at Newble, which could drive his price up, but he seems to be already looking forward to the Windy City.

"I can bring toughness, energy and I'm a defensive-minded player," Newble said to the Chicago Tribune."If they double-team Eddy Curry, who will demand a lot of attention now, I can score too."

The only difference, though, could be the job title of Stotts. Currently, he is officially the head coach of the Atlanta Hawks. But with ownership of the franchise up in the air, he was in Chicago and actually bumped into Newble while interviewing for an assistant coach's position with Bulls GM John Paxson.

"There's real chaos down there right now," Newble said in the same article. "It's confusing. That is the team I played with the past two years and I would like to be there too. But the situation doesn't seem too positive. They may want me, but their hands might be tied with the ownership."

MavsFanFinley
07-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Does that not tell you something about Mourning?

I understand Riley not wanting to strap the Heat again after clearing up so much cap space, but there must be a reason he's not offering more than $1.5 million to Zo.

madape
07-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Because Zo is a broken down, washed up, shell of his former self. And Riley knows that better than anyone.

jayC
07-10-2003, 12:35 PM

Mavs_Rule2003
07-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by: madape
Because Zo is a broken down, washed up, shell of his former self. And Riley knows that better than anyone.

Just what i think of it right now too!

I hope Cuban miss out on ZO and KIDD! and get malone and PJ or someone like rasho. I really dont worry about kidd coming to SA. nothing will improve that much in that team with KIDD.