PDA

View Full Version : The Mavs New Core

LAM0015
03-13-2001, 10:15 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that within the next 2 or 3 years that this core of Mavs players has a chance to make up the best Mavs team ever?

djb
03-13-2001, 10:44 AM
You're definitely not the only one i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

03-13-2001, 10:53 AM
I think we are a center away from the title...

LonestarROB
03-13-2001, 10:57 AM
I certainly think they'll be the best Mavs team ever in a year or so. There already damn close.

erub
03-13-2001, 12:03 PM
don't jump the gun on the being one center away from a championship - there are plenty of great teams in the West that won't go down so easily. Unless the center you are talking about is Shaq...i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

madape
03-13-2001, 01:00 PM
If you consider Rasheed, Dale Davis, Duncan and Webber power forwards, I'd be willing to say that the Mavs will have the third best center in the Westen Conference playoffs. I don't give a damn what Stern says, Bradley is a better player than Divac, and he's sure as hell better than Polynice, Nesterovich, and Dudley. At this point in his career, he's better than Sabonis too. So quit complaining about our center and realize that we CAN get pretty far in the playoffs this year.

djb
03-13-2001, 01:06 PM
You must be on crack madape! Are you forgetting Greg Ostertag?! What about Chris Dudley! ..and Big Country Reeves! GEEZ!!! And if you think Bradley's better then Patrick "Hall of Lame" Ewing, you've got another thing coming to ya bub!

LonestarROB
03-13-2001, 01:08 PM
And the Kandy man....and uummmmmm......well do the Warrior even have a center i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif .

djb
03-13-2001, 01:11 PM
I'm sorry if I've made you look like a complete fool madape, but here's another name to disprove your theory: CHEROKEE PARKS

03-13-2001, 02:41 PM
This is hilarious... I have to interject here. Bradley is a decent center and good thing the Mavericks have so many other options, so all Bradley has to do is stand there and rebound and block shots. Which is fine, the only problem I have with it is that's not what he was expected to do when he first came to the NBA.

djb
03-13-2001, 02:51 PM
Now that we have a legit low-post presence in Howard, that's all Bradley has to do. Just look back to the 98-99 season and you'll see how effective the big guy can be when there's someone else the team can count on to score and post-up down low (that someone being Trent of course). He's quite the complementary player imo.

Oh and speaking of Cherokee Parks, look what I found over at Playboy.com (I swear I was there for the articles!):

Tatooed tower: Cherokee Parks is the NBA's color man (http://www.playboy.com/sports/qa/index.html)

* Kids, if you're under 18..hmm..aww screw it! Like anyone cares on the Net i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Evilmav2
03-13-2001, 06:44 PM
On the subject of Bradley... Since my favorite Mavericks center is the subject of discussion again, I am going to repost something I wrote defending the big man on Sportstalk about ten minutes ago... Incidentally, I really believe this...

The Bradley Show

Bradley won't get the maximum this Summer, so y'all don't need to worry about that. What Nelson has said about Bradley is that he is a "difference maker" who will win eight or nine games more a year for you. He has done that this season, and he has done it in previous seasons. Nelson uses him exactly as he should, by giving him lots of minutes against teams where he has good matchups, and by limiting his minutes against teams with powerful pivot presences who can exploit his physical weakness... That said, I will again assert what I have been saying for a long time: When Bradley plays well we win. There has not been a dominating performance by Bradley this year in a game that we lose. Face it, regardless of what you think of him, it is awfully hard for any team to have a chance of beating a team whose center grabs 20 rebounds or makes 9 blocks in a game (and that is not even considering all of the altered shots that Bradley creates whenever he plays- that doesn't show up on paper)... Y'all can give me some flak for this, but I say that without Bradley on the team we might not even be in position to make the playoffs. Without his yearlong defensive presence we might have lost a few more of those ridiculous 4th quarter comeback games, we might have dropped a couple of dumb games against poor teams who Bradley shut down offensively, and we really might be fighting with the Denvers and Houstons of the world down to the last days of the season. Bradleys' play this year has been critical to our team defense (and you know that without him playing we have to be a run and gun team, and try to win games by outscoring the opposition), and that ultimately might be the "Difference Maker" in our (knock on wood) making the playoffs..."

Evilmav2
03-13-2001, 07:06 PM
Nice stats from DallasBasketball.com...

Bradley Check out these numbers: When Bradley plays 30 minutes or more this season, his average line is 9.44 points, 51.6-percent shooting, 10.78 rebounds, 4.0 blocks and 3.5 fouls. Oh, and Dallas is 15-3 in those games.

Evilmav2
03-13-2001, 11:32 PM
People don't like talking about Bradley when he is dominating... Maybe that will change during the playoffs...

MFFL
05-05-2001, 08:47 AM
I certainly believe that this group CAN be the best Mavs team ever. We just need some effective bench players.

Murphy3
05-05-2001, 08:56 AM
bradley was good in the utah series and he is key..him and booth are both key this series.

dirk and finley are also key because they do have a bit of mismatches offensively this series.
the guard spots and the small forward spots are where the mavs have to dominate if they want to win this series. and the mavs must hve solid play from booth and bradley down low

turbo.mav
05-06-2001, 07:34 AM
you forgot nash, murph

giostar
05-06-2001, 11:26 AM
Just think of how young this team is too... Nowitzki is only in his 3rd year for example. If players like harvey, Najera, and zhizhi take a step forward next year, this team could have a decent bench. The one player I am real interested in seeing how he develops is Harvey. Im sure the coaching staff saw something there to NOT have him included in the Howard/Booth trade. I think this team is only 1 or 2 players away from winning it all. Heck, they may grow some in the offseason and have those 1 or 2 players already here...

MFFL
05-06-2001, 12:56 PM
I think Booth will stay now. How many times in your career do you get a series-winning shot? We've got enough pieces now to put together a winner for the next 5 to 6 years. We just need to acquire/develop a superstar.

giostar
05-06-2001, 01:01 PM
If Dirk develops a better inside game... he can be that superstar. He has the most potential anyway.

scooterj5
05-06-2001, 05:12 PM
Dirk hsd got to be close to superstar anyways

MFFL
05-06-2001, 11:06 PM
Next year or the year after, Dirk will be included in the roll call of superstars.

Murphy3
05-07-2001, 08:40 AM
no, i didn't forget nash.
i said the mavs need to dominate at the guard spots..that includes him.

next year, i would think dirk would have to be an all-star if he has a season anything like this one.

ReggieThetaChi
05-07-2001, 10:12 AM
Yall are forgetting someone. Finley will forever be the catalyst. Whether he be scoring, playing defense, rallying the troops, rebounding, any of that, he is the key. Alot of you don't see him as the leader of the team in the future, but I do. He may not be the best player on the team in a few years, but he will forever remain the locker room leader. Look at San Antonio, a team loaded with talent. Robinson, Duncan, Anderson, of all the talent I just mentioned, who is the leader? Terry Porter, the old guy from Portland, Minnesota, and another team I think. He is the locker room leader, and he is no where near the best player.
A leader is not someone who is the best player, he is the guy that the other players are inspired by, who they would walk through a fire for. I really don't see Dirk as that guy. He'll be the best player, but I think Finley will forever be the leader.

Murphy3
05-07-2001, 10:30 AM
personally, i think the mavs have alot of catalysts.
i also think that this mavs team is mature. i really don't think that dirk and nash are followers of finley. maybe i'm missing your point, but i think dirk and nash are catalysts to themselves.
i really don't see why everyone thinks the team is inspired by finley.
it's more a question of one person getting hot and everyone feeding off of it.
sometimes it's dirk, sometimes it's finley, sometimes it's bradley's blocks, sometimes it's nash's drives or his threes..or his ability to dish.
this isn't a team that needs someone in the locker to say, "come on now guys, we can beat them, let's just keep our heads high"
this team is young, and they are confident. they know already that they can beat anyone. what is more important, the expect to win. they don't expect to lose a game when they start. what makes each of the top players on this team key is that all of them have a tremendous drive to win, all of them. dirk's not going to stop shooting and get scared when the team gets behind until finley puts his arm around him and exhibits leadership qualities that will get dirk going....the same thing for nash.
this is a team that is full of confidence. and that doesn't come from ONE guy. it comes from a core group of guys that are extremely confident in their abilities. it comes from a core group of guys that want to win. it comes from a core group of guys in which any one of the players can step up and lead the team at any time. we've seen it time and time again where that person has been finley. we've also seen it time and time again where it has been dirk, or it has been nash. we've seen it alot of times where it's been bradley blocking a shot and starting a fast break that gets this team going. it's not some guy on the bench or in the locker room saying, "let's go guys, we can do it"

This team is inspired by getting a fast break, or getting a block, or a three pointer, or a key defensive stop. that is what makes this team dangerous., any number of guys can do something..then, all of the sudden this team is hot.

i tell you what, you're fooling yourself if you think dirk or nash would walk through fire for michael finley. nash and dirk will walk through fire to WIN. and that is what's important

Murphy3
05-07-2001, 10:33 AM
and whoever said that mavs fans see through rose colored glasses, that is definitely the case. definitely

Murphy3
05-07-2001, 02:19 PM
!
just bumping this one up

MFFL
05-08-2001, 11:34 PM
I agree with you murph. The Mavs have a lot of catalysts. Anyone on the Mavs roster can ignite the team for a 10 point run. But I think Finley is the MAIN catalyst. Maybe in a couple of years that will change when Dirk starts his rise to elite status. But I think you would agree that right now this is Finley's team - mainly because Nellie says it is.

Murphy3
05-09-2001, 08:36 AM
you have to realize what nellie is doing.
he is saying that it is finley's team all of the time because he doesn't want to do anything to jeopardize re-signing finley.
if finley were already signed, and dirk was going to be a free agent this year, nellie would be saying how this is becoming dirk's team.

Murphy3
05-09-2001, 04:11 PM
i think if you wanted to classify this as one person's team or another, it would probably be finley's this year.
but i don't think he's as much of a leader to the other players that everyone is claiming. yes, he speaks to the media, but so what.
yes, he's a leader, but this is a team full of hard working gym rats. they lead themself, actually.
yes, everyone feeds off of one another. finley may feed off of a three by dirk, dirk may feed off of a nice drive by nash, nash may feed off a block by bradley, bradley may feed off of a slam by finley.
that's how this team works.

Mavinator
05-09-2001, 05:14 PM
Bradley feeds off the stale and sickly carcasses of his victims...

MFFL
05-09-2001, 11:08 PM
I thought the Mantis would catch its prey and eat it alive.

LonestarROB
05-09-2001, 11:10 PM
It's hard to catch prey when YOUR standing still. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

MFFL
05-09-2001, 11:11 PM
LOL i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

TheKid
06-19-2001, 10:58 AM
Thought this was a good one that I wanted to bring up. Mav you should like this one, it's predominantly about Bradley.

Mavinator
06-19-2001, 11:34 AM
Wow, that is a really great post by Evilmav on the first page.

When Bradley plays well we win. There has not been a dominating performance by Bradley this year in a game that we lose.

Unfortunately this streak ended in the playoffs when Bradley was crushing people (read: Tim Duncan) in the post and no one else on the Mavs was playing was playing.

TheKid
06-19-2001, 12:28 PM
I thought you would enjoy this one.