PDA

View Full Version : Peja hurts his ankle

MFFL
09-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Stojakovic goes down with a sprained ankle
The Kings forward is hurt at the European Championships.
By Bee Sports Staff and The Associated Press -- Bee Staff Writers
Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Tuesday, September 9, 2003

With training camp three weeks away, the Kings received troubling news Monday that forward Peja Stojakovic sprained his left ankle at the European Championships in Boras, Sweden.
Stojakovic, playing for defending champion Serbia and Montenegro, was hurt in the first quarter of an 80-76 victory over Turkey. He lost his balance and fell, left the game and did not return.

Kings spokesman Troy Hanson said he did not have an update on the severity of Stojakovic's injury. He also said that president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie was en route to Sweden for the tournament, unaware of Stojakovic's injury. The Kings expect to learn more today.
The Kings open training camp Sept. 29 for players with four years or less experience. Veterans such as Stojakovic, entering his sixth year, report Oct. 3. The season begins Oct. 29 against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

In May 2002, Stojakovic sprained his right ankle in Game 3 of the Western Conference semifinals against the Dallas Mavericks. He missed six playoff games, then came off the bench for Games 5, 6 and 7 of the conference finals against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Shaq Attack2
09-10-2003, 12:18 AM
Yikes, first Dirk and now Peja. If I were a GM, this kind of stuff would keep me up at night.

Still, like Dirk, it looks as if Peja will heal within a couple weeks or less. This is definitely good, but there's always that possibility that it'll linger. Having several ankle injuries from bball myself, even the minor tweaks linger. He's young though, it probably won't be too bad until he's well past 30.

MavsFanatik33
09-10-2003, 07:28 AM
General Managers in the NBA really need to stop and think if the european games are really worth risking your player for the season, or even forever.

Drbio
09-10-2003, 08:52 AM
A lot of people bash Cuban for his statement about prohibiting players from playing for their national teams, etc, but you have to understand where he is coming from. If I was paying guys millions to play on my NBA team and they got hurt playing non-NBA basketball I would be pissed. And yes...I'm talking about the dream teamers too. And I don't want to hear any crap about them being hurt in pickups games or practices. That is a totally different topic. This is about NBA contracted players being injured when playing with non-NBA teams. The NBA teams aren't covered by the measly policy that may be in place. They lose the players contribution as well as salary dollars, medical expenses, etc.

madape
09-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Looks like the Kings are going to go into next season possibly without both Webber AND Peja. It looks like the worlds deepest team may actually get a chance to prove whether that depth is worth the money. Too bad they decided to jettison their bench for salary cap reasons. Turkoglu, Jackson, Clark, and Pollard and gone, and they managed to replace them with only Miller and Peeler. In my opinion, if Webber's knee injury is serious and Peja misses much time, the Queens may be fighting it out with Utah for last place during the first half of the season. They will need a Laker like second half surge to even make the playoffs.