PDA

View Full Version : Stoudamire Reinstated

dirno2000
10-01-2003, 09:06 PM
[/quote]Associated Press
PORTLAND, Ore. -- Trail Blazers guard Damon Stoudamire was reinstated Wednesday after a suspension for his arrest on drug charges and will not have to pay a $250,000 team fine.

Stoudamire

Stoudamire said he would instead donated $100,000 to a Head Start program in North Portland. He also said he had voluntarily entered a drug treatment program and had been clean for 90 days.

"We plan to move forward and not spend a lot of time dwelling on the past," team president Steve Patterson said. "Damon has taken great personal steps to be successful both personally and professionally."

The reinstatement came a day before the team's veterans were set to report for training camp.

Stoudamire's July 3 arrest in Arizona was his third for marijuana possession in 18 months.

Stoudamire pleaded innocent to misdemeanor counts of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia after a package of marijuana allegedly fell out of his pantleg at the Tucson International Airport.

At a hearing on the charges Tuesday in Tucson, Ariz., Stoudamire's attorney Steve Houze told a judge that officers failed to read Stoudamire his rights prior to questioning him, and that authorities didn't have a warrant when they opened a tinfoil package that contained marijuana.

Judge Paul Simon continued the hearing because a key witness, a Tucson Airport Authority officer, was unable to attend due to a medical problem. The judge didn't set a new hearing date.

At the news conference, reporters asked Stoudamire what he was thinking before the arrest.

"I don't really know where my mind was," Stoudamire said. "Maybe I was at a point were I was not thinking clearly about things."

Patterson wouldn't comment Wednesday on the pending charges.

Police responding to a burglar alarm in February, 2002, found marijuana in Stoudamire's Lake Oswego home. Charges were later dismissed after a judge ruled the search inadmissible.

Nine months later, a Washington state trooper arrested Stoudamire and teammate Rasheed Wallace for smoking marijuana when they were pulled over on Interstate 5. Both received suspended sentences.

"A lot of childish things have happened," Stoudamire said. "It's a situation I'm embarrassed about for myself, my family, my Blazers family and everybody that's supported me."

Patterson said the team welcomed Stoudamire's efforts at rehabilitation, including a voluntary drug treatment program. Stoudamire said he has been clean for 90 days.

Without Stoudamire, the Trail Blazers were thin at guard, following the offseason departures of free agents Scottie Pippen and Antonio Daniels. And efforts to trade Stoudamire after the arrest fell through because there were no offers, Patterson said.

Stoudamire starts training camp Thursday.[/quote]

Good to see Portland's new get tough policy is working out. Damon missed the whole offseason. That'll teach him.

Drbio
10-01-2003, 09:17 PM
Portland buckled under their own cowardice. Damon is an idiot.