PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft

grbh
10-03-2003, 01:07 PM
Ok, so if there was a draft of all the NBA players today. What would the first 10 picks look like. I will give it a shot. You have to take into account what the players have done, how much more you think they can develop age etc.

Here goes:

1. Duncan: Star, and still young
2. Garnett: Ditto
3. Ming: Don't know what his ceiling is, but once Shaq is gone he will likely end up being the only dominating Center in the league
4. Dirk: Though I think a couple players behind him are better. Those other play a position that is easier filled.
5. Kobe: Better than Dirk but playing in a position easily filled.
6. TMAC: Same as above
7. J' Oneil: Not yet 25 and he is a 20/10 guy
8. Eric Piatowski: Great range, a monster on the boards.
9. Eddie Curry: A risky bit, but really came on strong at the end of last season. Last 30 games 16 Points, 6 Rebounds, and shot over 60% from the field. Can't even drink yet.
10. James: Also a risky pick, don't know what you are getting, but to many scouts are drooling over this guy for me to avoid
11. Shaq: Better than everyone on this list, but I think in 3 years Shaq is done. If you could pick one player to get over the top he is probably your guy. If you are building for the future you might want to look elsewhere.

I may have forgotten someone pretty obvious I put this list together pretty quickly.

Murphy3
10-03-2003, 01:13 PM
i'm not sure what yao's ceiling is..but, it would be difficult to move him ahead of dirk.
dirk and KG would be just about neck and neck. dirk has slowly been catching him over the past 3 years. will he ever pass KG? I think so, but it's by no means a definite thing

and i'm thinking that Piatkowski is just shock value
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

grbh
10-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Only reason I have Yao ahead of Dirk, and it wasn't an easy call was position. A dominant center is more valuable to me than pf. You can't go wrong with either.

As far as KG you are right he has closed the gap, but I just think he will always be able to do more than Dirk. Just a more complete game. I hope I'm wrong though.

Piatowski is certainly not shock value. If you don't think he belongs then you must be a racist.

CALL THE MODS LOCK THIS POST. MURPHY HATES POLES.

Murphy3
10-03-2003, 01:24 PM
I just think that dirk's offensive game will be leaps and bounds ahead of KG's by the time it's all said and done.

and sure, a dominant center such as shaq is worth more than a dominant PF. I just haven't seen enough from yao to lead me to believe that he'll ever be close to that dominant. An all-star for 10-12 years? yeah, sure.

dirno2000
10-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Good list

I have my doubts about Yao also. He extremly skilled for his size, and I'm amazed at how well he passes the ball at his age. He just seems slow to me, and I get the feeling he'll aways struggle with quicker players. As big and strong as Shaq is, he's pretty quick.

jayC
10-03-2003, 04:20 PM
No way Eric P. did he take the clippers to the playoffs no so their is no way he should be in the top five.
You should never play to potential every one has potential to do something if they haven't done it then they shouldn't be on the list. That doesn't make anyone a racist to think otherwise that my friend is a post-hoc fallacy.

Based on potential and what they have shown as of know
1) Tim Duncan- most dominant player in the game and hes only 27 and has won two nba titles.
2)Kevin Garnett- yeah i know he hasn't gotten past the first round but wilt had a hard time with bill russell doesn't make wilt any worse then russel.
3)Kobe- I know he has shaq but to avg 40 for a month or what ever that streak was amazing the guy is just as young as dirk and just as good. No their aren't many guys that can get to the hole 10 times a game and that have the handles that kobe has just ask mike finley
4) Dirk- yeah I know what your thinking you homer right. Wrong this guy keeps improving remember where he was in year one to now. I don't get how he can be so good offensively and not as good defensively. I think he will be as good someday when hes not chasing after threes on the perimeter.
5) Shaq- Hes the key to the laker success. But hes in his 30's and big men usually wear down when they are over thirty.
6) T-Mac-led the league in scoring but hasn't proven anything in the playoffs as of yet. The fact that its the east and their are no big men to impede his progress puts him behind these other exceptional players.
7) Elton Brand- the guy is a man on shot blocker, hes a 20 point 10 rebound guy , and before last year it looked as if the clippers were going to get into the first round of the playoffs.
8) Yao Ming- the only guy I have ever seen block shaqs shot someday might be number one on the list. Note a lot of huge players rick smits, manute bol and our shawn bradley never pan out.
9) Jason Kidd- he does everything but shoot the ball. If he were on the mavs he would avg 15 assists no doubt. And the fact he can post up smaller point guards helps his overall game.
10) Eddy Curry- he has beaten shaq twice enough said. But I will continue anyway I think this guy avd 25 points a game towards the end of the year. His defense needs to improve but he has all the post moves and a slick hook shot.
Other potential filled players
Lamar Odom if he just got his head right he has all the tools to be a good to great player in this league.
Lebron James the guy has an nba body right now. He has to work on his jump shot. And life in the nba.

And as far as white guards go steve nash is the best. Hes a clutch shooter, a guy that could score thirty a night if it was just him. He shoots an exceptional 46 to 47 percent from the field which is great in todays NBA. Piatowski shouldn't be there at least not yet.

dirno2000
10-03-2003, 04:23 PM
I'm pretty sure he was joking about Piatowski

Jeremiah
10-03-2003, 04:29 PM
and as far as under 6 foot guards go, AI is the best.
and as far as butt ugly alien guards go, sam cassell might be the best.
and as far as pretty boy guards/forwards go, WallyWorld is the best, though Casey Jacobson should catch him.
and as far as fata** forwards go, Robert Traylor is the best.
and as far as extremely tall centers go, Shawn Bradley is the best.

I could go on ad nauseum with this nonsense, but I'll just let it go.

EricaLubarsky
10-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by: grbh
Ok, so if there was a draft of all the NBA players today. What would the first 10 picks look like. I will give it a shot. You have to take into account what the players have done, how much more you think they can develop age etc.

Here goes:

1. Duncan: Star, and still young
2. Garnett: Ditto
3. Ming: Don't know what his ceiling is, but once Shaq is gone he will likely end up being the only dominating Center in the league
4. Dirk: Though I think a couple players behind him are better. Those other play a position that is easier filled.
5. Kobe: Better than Dirk but playing in a position easily filled.
6. TMAC: Same as above
7. J' Oneil: Not yet 25 and he is a 20/10 guy
8. Eric Piatowski: Great range, a monster on the boards.
9. Eddie Curry: A risky bit, but really came on strong at the end of last season. Last 30 games 16 Points, 6 Rebounds, and shot over 60% from the field. Can't even drink yet.
10. James: Also a risky pick, don't know what you are getting, but to many scouts are drooling over this guy for me to avoid
11. Shaq: Better than everyone on this list, but I think in 3 years Shaq is done. If you could pick one player to get over the top he is probably your guy. If you are building for the future you might want to look elsewhere.

I may have forgotten someone pretty obvious I put this list together pretty quickly.

Oh c'mon this is all just garbage and we all know the Polish rifle is just shock value.

Avrillicker
10-03-2003, 04:57 PM
TD = MVP - for a long time
LeBron = MVP to the owners
Garnett = MVP (V is for versatile)
T-Mac = a bad back still beats a bad criminal record
Kobe = worst time to be picked in a draft
Yao = MOP (most overlooked player - by Steve & Cuttino)
Nowitzki = a riddle for defenders
Amare = picking him so low could be the steal of the draft (again...)
Marbury = woah,he finally seems to be focused on winning! what a surprise!
Darko = he's worth taking a chance