PDA

View Full Version : NVE Reports To Camp

MavsFanFinley
10-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Van Exel reports to Warriors' camp

Friday, October 3, 2003
By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

Nick Van Exel's first inclination was to stay far, far away from the Golden State Warriors after his trade from the Mavericks this summer.

Then he mulled his options and thought of worse places to be an NBA player.

Van Exel debuted Friday at the Warriors' training camp in Oahu and confirmed reports that he was less than thrilled with the trade.

"How would you feel?" he told the Bay Area's Contra Costa Times. "I wasn't disappointed with the fact I got traded to Golden State. I was more disappointed with the fact that I was closer to winning a championship in Dallas. Not disappointed I came here because it's a pretty good opportunity for me.."

Van Exel was part of a nine-player deal that brought high-scoring forward Antawn Jamison to Dallas.

Mavericks officials said it was difficult parting with Van Exel, the team's second-leading scorer in the playoffs. Van Exel refused to criticize his former team.

"I'm not ... [ticked] off at anybody," Van Exel said. "Definitely not ... [ticked] off with Dallas because I got a chance to get back to the NBA again [after 3 seasons with Denver]. Dallas gave me an opportunity to play good basketball again and get back to the playoffs."

MFFL
10-03-2003, 11:49 PM
NVE back to the Mavs?

It would be fun just to hear murph strangling.

Drbio
10-04-2003, 12:02 AM
I played hoops at lunch today wearing my NVE Nuggets jersey. I went off for a couple of games and then couldn't hit the floor if I dropped the ball in the late games. Just like NVE. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif Seriously.

I hope NVE does well in Oakland.

MavsFanFinley
10-04-2003, 12:28 AM
Van Exel `good with' his new situation

BY MATT STEINMETZ
Knight Ridder Newspapers

LAIE, Hawaii - (KRT) - They're all here now. The young guys, the free-agent invitees, the veterans - including point guard Nick Van Exel.

All the Warriors have made it to Oahu, where on Friday coach Eric Musselman for the first time put his entire roster through a practice at the Cannon Activities Center on the campus of BYU-Hawaii.

For now, though, it's all about Van Exel, the key player acquired by the Golden State Warriors in a nine-player trade made with the Dallas Mavericks on Aug. 18, and in many ways the man who will be most responsible for the team's fortunes during the 2003-04 season.

And here's the good news for Warriors fans: Nick's OK.

``Right now, I'm good with it,'' said Van Exel, who for the first time talked at length about his feelings about becoming a Warrior. ``There's a lot of talent here. Last year, they did some good things as far as trying to improve the team and get to the playoffs. ... I'm wanting to see what happens this season to get this franchise over the hump. I'm excited for that challenge.''

Back in late August, in the days following the trade, Van Exel wasn't pleased with leaving the Mavericks, one of the league's elite teams, and going to the Warriors, who haven't made the playoffs since the 1993-94 season.

``How would you feel?'' he said. ``I wasn't disappointed with the fact I got traded to Golden State. I was more disappointed with the fact that I was closer to winning a championship in Dallas. Not disappointed I came here because it's a pretty good opportunity for me. I'll get a chance to start, play more minutes. I was very comfortable in Dallas backing up Steve (Nash). I'm not saying I was doing back flips when I got traded. But I wasn't going to kill myself, either.''

Nobody really knew what Van Exel thought about the trade at the time. There was no news conference, and Van Exel chose to lay low in his home in Houston while everyone else was left to guess about his frame of mind.

``I keep hearing all these reports, but nobody's talking to me,'' he said. ``Everybody is saying this is going to happen, that's going to happen. But nobody heard from me.

``My feeling at first was that I wasn't eager to come to Golden State. But after looking at the situation and realizing there were a lot worse places I could be in this world as an NBA player, this is a great opportunity. So, I can't help but go out there and try to do the best I can and try to help this team get to where they want to be at. That's what we play basketball for. I'm paid pretty good money. I don't have a choice but to go out there and do the best that I can do.''

Van Exel's best is pretty darn good. He was instrumental in Dallas' run to the Western Conference finals last season. He averaged 19.5 points in 20 playoff games and three times scored 35 or more points as Dallas beat the Sacramento Kings in the Western Conference semifinals - which Van Exel said was the best basketball he's played in his 10-year NBA career.

``I'm not (ticked) off at anybody,'' said Van Exel, 31. `` This is not a down for me at all. I'm very positive and upbeat about it and I'm going to roll with it.''

Van Exel gave up the final year of his contract - in 2005-06 - in order to facilitate a trade from Denver to Dallas in February 2002. He said he would love for the Warriors to reguarantee that final season, although the Warriors have said that likely won't happen right now. Van Exel can opt out of his contract after this season, which would mean giving up $11.8 million in guaranteed money.

``I left 13 or 14 million (in 2005-06) on the table so I could win basketball games,'' he said. ``That should tell you right there I'm not an individual person. ... I would love to be a Warrior. I want to be somewhere where that team wants me. Golden State traded for me so that shows they have an interest in me as a basketball player. That makes me feel good. If they came to me and everything was right, of course, I'd love to play for Golden State (long term).''

But what about telling reporters in New York a few weeks ago that he would love to be a Knick?

``I said I wouldn't mind playing for the Knicks when I was in Dallas (too),'' Van Exel said. ``The Knicks are like the Mecca of basketball. I wasn't saying this is where I want to go and I was demanding a trade. I think every player would love to have a chance to play for the Lakers at some point, have a chance to play for the Knicks, maybe the Celtics.''

Much also was made of Van Exel's silence after the trade, when he remained out of touch to Warriors officials.

``I haven't returned a phone call since I've been in the league,'' he said. ``Whether it's (Dallas owner) Mark Cuban or (former Los Angeles Lakers general manager and current Memphis general manager) Jerry West.''

On the surface, the table seems set for Van Exel, who has averaged 15.5 points and 7.2 assists over his NBA career, to have a big year. He's on a better team than the ones he played on in Denver, and his role is likely to be much bigger than it was with Dallas.

``That motivates me, but I feel that this team last year under (Warriors coach Eric) Musselman, they were building themselves into something pretty good, that the league was starting to look at,'' Van Exel said. ``So I'm not looking at it as me being the savior because those guys were doing it on their own last season. But with my help, Clifford's (Robinson) help, Avery (Johnson), Popeye (Jones), George (McCloud), the veteran guys, I think we will all feel happy if we can get Golden State over the hump.

``It's something that coming in as an opposing player playing against Golden State, this was a team you could chalk up a win against. What we want to do is wipe that label off. When people see the Golden State Warriors, they know they're going to have to play good basketball and be in a tough game. That's what we want to do. It's tough and it's a long season, but we feel confident in our chances.''

EricaLubarsky
10-04-2003, 01:29 AM
Im really excited that Van Exel showed up with a good attitude and ready to play. You know, I hope Van Exel whoops some ass this year and gets the Warriors into the last playoff spot. Who knows? Dunleavy could replace Jamison. You never know?

Tony tha Mavs fan
10-04-2003, 01:34 AM
It's good to see Van Exel stepping up and not blaming the Mavs for trading him, and taking his new role in Golden State in stride.

Murphy3
10-04-2003, 01:36 AM
i'm tired of his sorry-ass attitude
i wish for nothing but failure for the guy for the rest of his basketball career

someone has to fail..and I pick him

dallas_esq
10-04-2003, 01:54 AM
I miss him already, it's wierd seeing NVE in the Around the NBA threads rather than the General Mavs Discussion.

Murphy, police this!

Lvubun1
10-04-2003, 03:19 AM
Looking at the West, their are 7 teams who are pretty much a lock for the playoffs, Lakers, Kings, Spurs, Mavs, T-Wolves, Suns and Rockets. If the Blazers players continue to get arrested every other day, like the ESPN power rankings said they might have a slim shot of challeging for the 8th seed. Its not a ring but the 2nd closest thing would be to get the Warriors in the playoffs.

QCarFan
10-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Rockets have been locks for so many years now and haven't made it, they are hardly locks. They may make it, but they aren't locks. Portland is more of a lock than they(Rockets) are in my honest opinion.

Nellie
10-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by: Lvubun1
Looking at the West, their are 7 teams who are pretty much a lock for the playoffs, Lakers, Kings, Spurs, Mavs, T-Wolves, Suns and Rockets. If the Blazers players continue to get arrested every other day, like the ESPN power rankings said they might have a slim shot of challeging for the 8th seed. Its not a ring but the 2nd closest thing would be to get the Warriors in the playoffs.

Umm...I don't know. I think it's pretty bold to say that the Rockets are a lock for the playoffs. Portland should make it again. Jazz is definitely out unless Jerry Sloan pulls another rabbit out of his ass. That leaves Seattle, Houston, and GS who are all in the same catagory to me.

MavsFanatik33
10-04-2003, 10:54 AM
So I guess he wont be a Knick anytime soon...