PDA

View Full Version : Nets waive Mutombo

Tony tha Mavs fan
10-04-2003, 10:19 PM
Nets waive C Dikembe Mutombo

October 4, 2003
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker) - Dikembe Mutombo likes to wave his finger at opponents who try to challenge him. On Saturday, the New Jersey Nets waived Mutombo.

Potentially eating more than $35 million in salary, the Nets released Mutombo, making the four-time Defensive Player of the Year a free agent.

There have been reports that the Nets were trying to trade Mutombo, 37, who has two years and $37 million remaining on his contract. The Nets did not announce whether a buyout or settlement had been reached.

"Dikembe is a first-class individual, and we wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors," Nets president Rod Thorn said in a statement.

Thorn traded for the 7-2 Mutombo after the 2001-02 season, when the Nets reached the NBA Finals for the first time in franchise history but were manhandled by Shaquille O'Neal and the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Nets sent forward Keith Van Horn and center Todd MacCulloch to the Philadelphia 76ers for Mutombo, who in his prime was the most intimidating defensive player in the NBA. He often would block a shot and wag his finger at his foe as if to say, "Not on me."

After helping the 76ers reach the 2001 Finals, Mutombo signed a four-year contract worth an estimated $65 million. Last December, he suffered a broken wrist that forced him to miss four months.

Upon his return, the lumbering Mutombo found himself out of the rotation as coach Byron Scott went with a smaller, quicker lineup. He averaged career lows of 5.8 points and 6.4 rebounds in just 24 games.

The Nets returned to the NBA Finals, losing to San Antonio in six games. Mutombo had a minor impact with his defense in Game Two but otherwise was not a factor.

Thorn's decision to release Mutombo was made a bit easier by the offseason signing of free agent center Alonzo Mourning, who played collegiately with Mutombo at Georgetown. The Nets also have Jason Collins and Aaron Williams as options at center.

A future Hall of Famer who is building a hospital in his homeland of Africa, Mutombo has averaged 12.2 points, 12.1 rebounds and 3.33 blocks in 864 games with Denver, Atlanta, Philadelphia and New Jersey. He is a seven-time All-Star.

OutletPass
10-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Incredible. Has any team ever eaten 18.5 million per year on one player ?

Next up on the Nets dinner plate, Alonzo Mourning (unless of course, Shaq Attack2 's got a cure for kidney disease)

Drbio
10-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by: OutletPass

Next up on the Nets dinner plate, Alonzo Mourning (unless of course, Shaq Attack2 's got a cure for kidney disease)

*giggle*

MavsFanatik33
10-04-2003, 11:37 PM
I thought they would play him as the backup to Mourning, would of been the best tandem centers in the league behind Sacramento. He costs too much for NJ though, I guess.

mavs_afroman
10-05-2003, 12:02 AM
I would say Shaq and anybody is twice as good as and aging center and an average center who made his living in the Least.

MFFL
10-05-2003, 12:16 AM

Good one OP!

LRB
10-05-2003, 03:28 AM

I'm just glad Alonzo decided to give NJ the munchies instead of us.

Murphy3
10-05-2003, 10:52 AM
in fairness to dikembe, before last year, he had averaged double-doubles for over a decade.

is he through? possibly, but maybe he still has something left in the tank

madape
10-06-2003, 08:31 AM
A stupid decision by the Nets. I can almost guarantee that Deke will play more games next year (and the next four for that matter) than the more than washed up bleeding kidneys of Alonzo Mourning. I hope Mutumbo finds a team that respects his skills and abilites. He's a first class person who can still dominate of the defensive side of the ball.

MavKikiNYC
10-06-2003, 10:01 AM
If Mavs don't make a serious move toward Mutombo, they aren't serious about a championship.