PDA

View Full Version : Butler has knee surgery

MavsFanFinley
10-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Heat's Butler could be out a month

October 4, 2003

MIAMI (AP) -- Heat forward Caron Butler had arthroscopic knee surgery Saturday and could be sidelined a month, a setback for a Miami team featuring a retooled lineup.

Butler bruised his left knee during the first day of workouts Wednesday. Tests showed no cartilage damage but revealed loose particles.

If Butler misses a month, as coach Pat Riley estimates, he would be out through the first three games of the regular season, which opens for Miami on Oct. 28 in Philadelphia. Butler finished third last season in rookie of the year balloting.

``It just sort of sets everything back,'' Riley said. ``This is very disappointing.''

Butler averaged 15.4 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.7 assists last season and is the cornerstone for a lineup that includes guards Dwyane Wade and Eddie Jones, forward Lamar Odom and center Brian Grant.

Butler decided to have surgery rather than deal with continued stiffness and swelling.

``I didn't want to take a chance with it,'' he said. ``And the swelling wasn't going down. We tried to wait two days. It still didn't go down.''

EricaLubarsky
10-04-2003, 10:52 PM
Surgery for everything. I am so amazed at how many times players get surgery even at non-necessary times. It's amazing how many times it works out too.

MavsFanatik33
10-05-2003, 08:59 AM
Does that month include the preseason? If so, it won't hurt Miami too bad. Not like they're going to make a playoff run or anything anytime soon.

Nash13
10-05-2003, 09:42 AM
The heat have a very good team down there even though it may not seem like it.

MavsFanatik33
10-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by: Nash13
The heat have a very good team down there even though it may not seem like it.

They got some young'ns that might be decent. Plus, they got the under-rated free agent "Skip-To-My-Lue" Rafer Alston.

ItalianMobbstah187
10-07-2003, 01:18 PM
I wish Caron a safe and speedy recovery....he is going to be a great one in this league down the line.