PDA

View Full Version : Jordan to the Lakers?.......

Rod1975
10-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Anyone else hear the speculation that Jordan may actually be in talks with the Lakers and Phil Jackson?
I would'nt count on him staying retired yet......He still does'nt have a gig doing anything else, and with Kobe's impending trial and/or imprisonment (hopefully), the possiblility remains for Jordan to go join the old folks home in LA.
(I hope not)

Murphy3
10-07-2003, 01:35 PM
i haven't heard anything that would lead me to believe that Jordan is talking to the lakers about coming back..

but, i did hear that Phil Jackson wouldn't mind having Jordan around if Kobe were unable to play because of conflicting court dates towards the end of the season for the "alleged" rape

dirno2000
10-07-2003, 01:35 PM
I hope he does. Talent wise, he could help them in limited minutes at small forward. Personality wise, there is no way in hell that would work. Kobe is trying to establish his legacy and likes to shoot all the time. Shaq already fells he doesn't get the ball enough. Payton dominates the ball. Malone is used to having touches. If we learned anything the last couple of years it's that Jordan defers to no one.

Murphy3
10-07-2003, 01:38 PM
actually, i thought jordan didn't look for his shot enough while with the wizards. he even agreed to come off of the bench for the GeeWiz last year. But, he quickly found out that there wasn't anyone on the team that needed to be taking shots ahead of him (which, there wasn't)

I would love to see jordan playing..but not with the lakers. if he came back, he'd be a more than willing third option on that team (and i have only heard of Jackson mention the need for jordan if kobe were unable to play).
let's just say that it wouldn't be good for the mavs..jordan would know his place on that team

dirno2000
10-07-2003, 01:44 PM
If he would be ok with his role your right, it would be bad for the Mavs. I just can't see it. In the heat of the moment, when the game is on the line, Jordan still thinks he's the best player in the game. I could be wrong, but I can't see him running down the court, watching Payton bring the ball up and pass to Shaq while he just stands floats around on the wing. I don't think his mental makeup would allow it.

Rod1975
10-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Murph, I heard the same. But come on, why would Jackson give that quote the the Trib if he was'nt indirectly or otherwise already getting the message to Micheal.
This thing is in it's infancy, and Phil is gonna do whatever he can to salvage a postseason if Kobe get thrown in the clink or is otherwise detained for trial.

Rod1975
10-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Not to mention, in the absence of Kobe, Micheal would be a great fit on that team: He's over 35 and in the twilight of his career.i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

EricaLubarsky
10-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
If he would be ok with his role your right, it would be bad for the Mavs. I just can't see it. In the heat of the moment, when the game is on the line, Jordan still thinks he's the best player in the game. I could be wrong, but I can't see him running down the court, watching Payton bring the ball up and pass to Shaq while he just stands floats around on the wing. I don't think his mental makeup would allow it.

Shaq had problems with not being the only answer
Payton was the answer
Malone was one of two solutions
Kobe wants his hands on it

think about how much fun it would be if they added Jordan to complete the starting five. Five allstars who all want the ball. The guys at NBA tonight would love to have something that fun to cover.

OutletPass
10-07-2003, 02:34 PM
I love the idea...that would blow the Lakers all to hell. nothing better than a super duper 5 ring circus.

MFFL
10-07-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by: OutletPass
I love the idea...that would blow the Lakers all to hell. nothing better than a super duper 5 ring circus.

Hell, I'd watch every game just so I could say that I saw the EXACT second that the team exploded. Last year Jordan would have been a fit with the Lakers, this year no.

Murphy3
10-07-2003, 02:58 PM
i believe y'all are selling jordan a bit short. the guy tried to take a back seat on the Washington Freaking Wizards..of course he'd take a back seat with the lakers. sure, they might implode, but I would think they'd be less likely to do so with jordan than they would without him.

and rod, that's what phil's doing..just throwing the idea out there and seeing if it sticks. he wouldn't have said it if he didnt' believe that there'd be some type of interest from jordan

MavsFanatik33
10-07-2003, 03:12 PM
This guy is not going anywhere. He is officially retired, not coming back ever again..

Murphy3
10-07-2003, 03:14 PM
how many times has he retired before?

i'm not saying that i think he will retire..but, when jordan says he's retiring, it's not exactly written in stone..more like invisible ink

MavsFanatik33
10-07-2003, 03:19 PM
This time it's for real. I don't believe for a second he'll be back....

QCarFan
10-07-2003, 03:37 PM
i agree with murphy3 on this one, with everything he said

Simon2
10-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Anyone else hear the speculation that Jordan may actually be in talks with the Lakers and Phil Jackson?
I would'nt count on him staying retired yet......He still does'nt have a gig doing anything else, and with Kobe's impending trial and/or imprisonment (hopefully), the possiblility remains for Jordan to go join the old folks home in LA.
(I hope not)

That would be crazy. The sad thing is I think it might work! If Kobe isn't around MJ can adequately fill in. Please don't let that happen!

Shaq Attack2
10-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Any discussion is moot really, there's been no indication from Kobe that he'll sit out the first 4-5 months of the season, and I would be shocked if Jordan came back in the middle of season, when Kobe is missing games due to the trial, just to fill the void. Jordan has too much pride.

FilthyFinMavs
10-07-2003, 05:26 PM
If Jordan is on the Lakers put your bets down for the Lakers to implode. Imagine 5 future hall of famers on the same team. Wow. Not as a Mavs fan but just as a fan of the NBA i'd love to see it. Everyone knows how players look up to MJ. Everyone knows how the players listen to MJ before they listen to Phil in Chi-town.

one long blue sock
10-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Murphy, I agree with you that they are selling Jordan a bit short. And the whole Laker team for that matter, I really think that this whole idea that the Lakers won't when is an emotional excuse, but it might just happen.

But I do remember Jordan being critisized for not allowing Brown and other young talent to develope, now I didnt watch enough of the Wizards to form my own conclusion, but I don't think he wouldn't have gotten critisized for no reason.

Dooby
10-07-2003, 05:37 PM
No matter how big the ego, when a guy suits up in the same lockerroom with Michael Jordan, he'll shut up and listen to what Mike tells him. Until further notice, retired or not, Jordan still owns this league. At 60, the NBA will still be fawning all over him. Jordan played for years with two of the biggest walking chemistry problems of recent memory. Scootie Quitten is the antichrist and Dennis Rodman was a sociopath. The thought that Jordan would cause chemistry problems is laughable.

Shaq Attack2
10-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by: one long blue sock
Murphy, I agree with you that they are selling Jordan a bit short. And the whole Laker team for that matter, I really think that this whole idea that the Lakers won't when is an emotional excuse, but it might just happen.

But I do remember Jordan being critisized for not allowing Brown and other young talent to develope, now I didnt watch enough of the Wizards to form my own conclusion, but I don't think he wouldn't have gotten critisized for no reason.

Stackhouse criticized Jordan (though, it wasn't a direct criticism) for not letting the younger players develop. I watched a bunch of Wizards game last year (like 35 or so, too much i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif) and I could see where Stackhouse was coming from. Honestly though, I don't think Jordan would be a negative influence on the Lakers, even though he'll never join them.

MavsFanatik33
10-07-2003, 06:28 PM
ďLast year, I had a couple tanks, a couple grenades. Now I got atomic weapons, Iím going nuclear. Iím Colin Powell, and I can drop the bomb anytime I want to.Ē
- Shaquille O'Neal, upon learning that Karl Malone and Gary Payton had joined the Lakers.

What a dope that Shaq is....

Chiwas
10-07-2003, 06:32 PM
I had...
I got...
Iím...
Iím...
I can...
I want...

-Shaq
With Jordan or not Jordan, this is going to be the biggest enemy of the Lakers. The "I's".

If they can beat the "I's", they will beat everybody.

But "IF".

Just remember the US team in Indianapolis and compare it to the US team in Puerto Rico. I know, the latter an easier tourney, but even so, a better and very different attitude for playing.

Becareful with the "we's" of the Lakers. IF they appear.

Shaq Attack2
10-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33

ďLast year, I had a couple tanks, a couple grenades. Now I got atomic weapons, Iím going nuclear. Iím Colin Powell, and I can drop the bomb anytime I want to.Ē
- Shaquille O'Neal, upon learning that Karl Malone and Gary Payton had joined the Lakers.

I think he's stuck one too many Crunch bars up his nose.

Originally posted by: Chiwas

I had...
I got...
Iím...
Iím...
I can...
I want...

-Shaq
With Jordan or not Jordan, this is going to be the biggest enemy of the Lakers. The "I's".

If they can beat the "I's", they will beat everybody.

But "IF".

Just remember the US team in Indianapolis and compare it to the US team in Puerto Rico. I know, the latter an easier tourney, but even so, a better and very different attitude for playing.

Becareful with the "we's" of the Lakers. IF they appear.

Huh? i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

Rod1975
10-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33

If shaq had paid attention in government class he'd know that the Secretary of State is'nt in charge of atomic weapons....if he's gonna get it wrong, at least get it wrong by saying Donald Rumsfeld.

LRB
10-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Kobe would not survive MJ's wrath for his selfish and showboating ways.

Fah Q
10-08-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by: LRB

he wouldn't have to.

thats Kobe and Shaq's team.

It's not Malones team, its not Paytons team, and it wont be Jordans team.

LRB
10-08-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by: Fah Q

Originally posted by: LRB

he wouldn't have to.

thats Kobe and Shaq's team.

It's not Malones team, its not Paytons team, and it wont be Jordans team.

Doesn't matter who's team, in a team there's no place for show boating and ball hogging. Kobe would be getting constantly knocked on his boney ass if he tried that. I can see Malone doing it anyways.

superheadcat
10-08-2003, 12:53 AM
hope this will end the speculation:

Jordan, through a spokeswoman, said he isn't the least bit interested in coming out of retirement.
"One-hundred percent no," Jordan said in a statement.
(http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_158813.html)

Fah Q
10-08-2003, 12:58 AM
I'm glad.

I really don't think he really would've helped that much anyway.

MavsFanatik33
10-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by: superheadcat
hope this will end the speculation:

Jordan, through a spokeswoman, said he isn't the least bit interested in coming out of retirement.
"One-hundred percent no," Jordan said in a statement.

At least he didn't say 99.9 percent sure, that .1 percent got him to be a Wizard last time...

Murphy3
10-08-2003, 08:46 AM
well, you know that athletes aren't on the same percentage scale as normal people. They give 110%. Some have even given 120% or even 150%.

So, 100% for Jordan is only equates to 75-90% for the non athletes. It's difficult to know the exact percentages considering the varying scales that athletes use.

Shaq Attack2
10-08-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3
well, you know that athletes aren't on the same percentage scale as normal people. They give 110%. Some have even given 120% or even 150%.

So, 100% for Jordan is only equates to 75-90% for the non athletes. It's difficult to know the exact percentages considering the varying scales that athletes use.

Bwahahaha!

LRB
10-08-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3

I'm sure there is a correlation there somewhere between athletes and our educational system.

Simon2
10-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Jordan already declined Phil's "offer".

Ummmmm Ok
10-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Think we could trade Mills to Utah, open up a backup spot for Jordan? i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif I would bring Jordan on the team just to give and show Dirk what a Killer Instinct is.

jayC
10-09-2003, 04:05 PM
He already said no. Phil was just joking.