PDA

View Full Version : NBA plans to realign

Dooby
10-15-2003, 04:24 PM
NBA plans to realign;
NEW YORK (AP) The NBA plans to switch to six five-team divisions for the 2004-05 season, when the Charlotte Bobcats become the league's 30th team.
The proposal, which includes having three divisions per conference instead of two, is expected to be approved formally by the board of governors, deputy commissioner Russ Granik said Wednesday. A vote could come as early as next month.
Eight teams from each conference still would make the playoffs: the winner of each division plus the teams with the next five best records in each conference.

The NBA will realign along geographic lines. New Orleans will move from the East to the West, and Charlotte will be in the East.

Granik said the regular-season schedule would be affected only minimally by the realignment.

No names were discussed for the new divisions. Currently, the Eastern Conference has the Atlantic and Central, while the West has the Midwest and Pacific.

Drbio
10-15-2003, 04:33 PM
I saw this yesterday buried in a WNBA article. I can't find anything indicating which teams will go where outside of the new Charlotte franchise. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out though.

grndmstr_c
10-15-2003, 04:37 PM
You know, if they stuck to the geography Dallas would probably find itself in a divison with San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, and Phoenix. Can anybody say stacked.

LRB
10-15-2003, 04:49 PM
Too bad we can't move to the east. Dallas would almost assuredly be guarranteed a spot in the finals every year. I guess we'll just have to do it the old fashioned way and earn it. It will be intersting to see how not only the alignment breaks out, but how the scheduling will take place with the new alignment. I could see us playing the Lakers and Kings 3 times each with 4 of those games being in California. That would be a real handicap.

MavsFanatik33
10-15-2003, 04:57 PM
The rumor is west's new division would be a mountain league, which would add teams like Minnesota, Portland, Denver, and Utah. Not sure who would make up the 6th lague in the East.

Dooby
10-15-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
You know, if they stuck to the geography Dallas would probably find itself in a divison with San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans, and Phoenix. Can anybody say stacked.

Hey, it could be worse. Minnisota has to go somewhere. And Memphis.

If you go by pure geography, I guess it goes like this (I am not using specific teams when considering LA or the 3 teams in Texas, but I don't think both LA's are in the same division):

(i)LA1, GS, Sac, Port, and Sea;

(ii) LA2, Utah, Den, Pho, and TX1;

(iii) TX2, TX3, NO, Mem, and Minn.

grndmstr_c
10-15-2003, 05:09 PM
Forgot about Memphis. They would fit better than Phoenix. I can't imagine they'd break up the Texas teams, though

jayC
10-15-2003, 08:46 PM
LRB,
I wish the same thing. But Id rather do it by time zones rather then neccesarily regions. Have all the central and eastern time zone teams together and all the pacific and mountain time zones together. That way it reduces travel time and it keeps players on the same sleep schedule.

Either that or I want a reseeding of the playoffs so that the best team plays the worst team etc. Something like how tennis works.

superheadcat
10-15-2003, 09:36 PM
my question:

if a team finishes second in her division, will the team be seated no higher than 4th in playoff?

one long blue sock
10-15-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by: LRB
Too bad we can't move to the east. Dallas would almost assuredly be guarranteed a spot in the finals every year. I guess we'll just have to do it the old fashioned way and earn it. It will be intersting to see how not only the alignment breaks out, but how the scheduling will take place with the new alignment. I could see us playing the Lakers and Kings 3 times each with 4 of those games being in California. That would be a real handicap.

Well I don't think it would really matter, because the Mavs already don't have respect, well if they move to the East then they would be looked at like the Nets are. And it doesnt really matter if you go an extra round if you cant win it.

LRB
10-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by: one long blue sock

Originally posted by: LRB

Well I don't think it would really matter, because the Mavs already don't have respect, well if they move to the East then they would be looked at like the Nets are. And it doesnt really matter if you go an extra round if you cant win it.

You're right it doesn't matter if you go an extra round if you can't win it with "it" being the championship I assume. The advantage would be that the Mavs would only have to win 1 series against one of the tough teams in the West and not 2 or 3. I don't think that the Mavs would got any more respect unless they won a championship. I just think that it would be easier to win the championship. However it's pretty much a moot point, because I just don't see any scenarios for that happening.

Drbio
10-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by: superheadcat
my question:

if a team finishes second in her division, will the team be seated no higher than 4th in playoff?

Good question SHC. I heard on ESPN radio today that a division title would not guarantee a top 3 seed. Take that for what it is worth, but it makes sense. You could be a champ and be seeded fourth if they were correct.

LRB
10-15-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio

Originally posted by: superheadcat
my question:

Good question SHC. I heard on ESPN radio today that a division title would not guarantee a top 3 seed. Take that for what it is worth, but it makes sense. You could be a champ and be seeded fourth if they were correct.

Then why not do away with the divisions all together and just have 2 conferences?

superheadcat
10-17-2003, 03:33 AM
if that happens, i can think about one good thing: there is a bit more to play for during regular season.

but the disadvantages are also obvious: for example, it is quite possible lakers and kings are in same division, and so are spurs and mavs. if they are the top 4 teams recordwise in the conference, which is highly likely, it'll be guaranteed that 2 of them meet in the 1st round playoff.

superheadcat
10-17-2003, 04:57 AM
according to sacbee's Scott Howard-Cooper:

"the proposal that was informally accepted Wednesday and will be voted on within weeks will include:

Western Conference Division A: Golden State, Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix and Sacramento. No great surprises.

Western Conference Division B: Portland, Seattle, Denver, Utah and Minnesota. The Loose Change Division. The Pacific Northwest teams had to stay together, the Rockies teams had to stay together, and the Timberwolves had to go somewhere and didn't have any neighbors in the West. So they all ended up together.

Western Conference Division C: Dallas, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans and San Antonio.

Eastern Conference Division A: Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Orlando and Washington.

Eastern Conference Division B: Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana and Milwaukee.

Eastern Conference Division C: Boston, New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia and Toronto."

what is not there is the playoff seating policy and names for the divisions.

Dooby
10-17-2003, 08:23 AM
I am telling you. Think how silly that is. Putting Minnisota in the same division with Seattle. Portland is closer to San Francisco than Memphis is to New Orleans or Dallas. It is naive to assume that both LA teams will be in the same division and the 3 texas teams will be in the same division. Well I can see both LA teams being in the same division, I well bet anybody that the 3 texas teams won't be in the same division.

Anyway, this isn't college or highschool. The team is still taking a plane wherever they go. Dallas isn't gonna take a bus to Houston. Travel costs aren't an issue. I am telling you that I have it right.

J Hill
10-17-2003, 03:52 PM
I think you have been smoking too many doobies.... I am sure that all three Texas Teams will be in the same division, and I'd be willing to bet $ on it. Minnesota isn't that much further from Seattle than Dallas is from LA.... your prediction is whack!

EricaLubarsky
10-19-2003, 12:05 AM
Wait there will be six divisions? That doesnt make any sense because the pacific states would have too many on their own. Would Seattle move into the midwestern? Clips? Just in California, Oregon and Washington there are
30teams
/ 6 divisions
---------------
5teams/division

1)the Clippers
2)the Lakers
3)the Warriors
4)the Kings
5)the Jailblazers
6)the Sonics...

EricaLubarsky
10-19-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
The rumor is west's new division would be a mountain league, which would add teams like Minnesota, Portland, Denver, and Utah. Not sure who would make up the 6th lague in the East.

that makes sense...kinda

wouldnt another Eastern team have to come West to make up for the Bobcats? Memphis is already rediculously east.

OzMavs
11-17-2003, 04:46 PM
NBA Approves Realignment for 2004-05 Season (https://http://www.nba.com/news/realign_031117.html)
Eastern, Western conferences each to have three divisions
NBA Approves Realignment for 2004-05 Season

NEW YORK, Nov. 17 The NBA Board of Governors has approved a realignment plan that will take effect with the start of the 2004-05 season, NBA Commissioner David Stern announced today.
The NBA's newest member, the Charlotte Bobcats, will tip off its inaugural season as part of the Eastern Conference while the New Orleans Hornets will move from the Eastern Conference to the Western Conference. Each conference will now have a total of 15 teams with three divisions of five teams.

The newly approved divisions are:

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division: Boston Celtics, New Jersey Nets, New York Knicks, Philadelphia 76ers, Toronto Raptors
Central Division: Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks
Southeast Division: Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Bobcats, Miami Heat, Orlando Magic, Washington Wizards

Western Conference

Southwest Division: Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets, Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Hornets, San Antonio Spurs
Northwest Division: Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Portland Trail Blazers, Seattle SuperSonics, Utah Jazz
Pacific Division: Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns, Sacramento Kings

Under the new plan, teams will play divisional opponents four times each (two home games/two road games), conference opponents outside the division three or four times each and opponents outside the conference two times each (one home game/one road game).

The three regular season divisional winners in each conference will earn a playoff berth and one of the conference's top three playoff seeds based on regular season record. The remaining five playoff berths for each conference will be based on regular season records with no regard to divisional alignment.

Home-court advantage throughout the NBA playoffs will be based solely on regular season record, not playoff seeding, thus a divisional winner that has a higher playoff seed than an opponent will not necessarily have home-court advantage in the playoff series.

arsenalth9
11-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Southwest looks pretty dang stacked, but i would say that the other 2 divisoins are no push-overs. you can't argue the queens and lakers would have it easy, or even the wolves and blazers.

I tihnk the NBA should not base anything on geography, and make whole new conferences.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Big Boy Laroux
11-18-2003, 11:02 AM
as it stands right now, the southeast is pretty weak...

northwest is weakest of the west, but not an entirely shabby division.

kingrex
11-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by: arsenalth9

I tihnk the NBA should not base anything on geography, and make whole new conferences.i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

yeah, but don't you love the in-Texas team rivalries?