PDA

View Full Version : Lakers vs Cavs on TNT

Simon2
10-15-2003, 08:19 PM
Tomorrow night? I guess its because of Lebron James. Why don't they show Mavs on national TV during the preseason? Could it be because Nellie doesn't coach to win those games?

Murphy3
10-15-2003, 08:31 PM
the premiere team in the NBA (lakers) vs the most hyped rookie to come along in years..

reason enough

MavsFanFinley
10-15-2003, 10:18 PM
I can't help it, I'm so desperate for basketball games I'll probably watch this game.

Just to get a look at both the new Lakers and Lebron.

Drbio
10-15-2003, 10:24 PM
I almost bought a Lebron jersey today. It was on sale for 50% off. I probably should have done it and put it up on Ebay. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

I'll be watching the game.

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 12:35 AM
I'll end up watching it. Both teams are struggling, but it is basketball.

QCarFan
10-16-2003, 03:03 AM
It's only preseason.............

MavsFanatik33
10-16-2003, 08:32 AM
Cavs will televised a lot this year, and it's all because of Lebron. Who wants to watch a blowout all the time?

Nash13
10-16-2003, 08:36 AM
The Cavs have a lot of talent on that team. And if they use it right, they may make the playoffs or at least come close.

ReDIRKulous
10-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Cavs will televised a lot this year, and it's all because of Lebron. Who wants to watch a blowout all the time?

He already is the new Jordan... we had to watch crappy Wizard games on TNT... now we have to watch Crappy Cavs games because of LeBron. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif I am Joking... I am genuinely excited to watch a superstar develop from day-one in the league.

dirno2000
10-16-2003, 09:19 AM
It would be hard for them to come up with an NBA game that I wouldn't watch at this point. Althouth, without Shaq and Kobe, the Lakers are a pretty boring team.

Between that and Bos/NY it should be a great sports night.

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Between that and Bos/NY

...and hockey, there should be a few notable brawls. =)

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Lebron James isnt all that people think he is. He has the jump shooting of Josh Howard, and his court vision is fairly weak at this point, but he does make some exciting looking plays. His showboat low post passing is thrilling, and its nice to watch a few more dunks in a game.

ReDIRKulous
10-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Lebron James isnt all that people think he is. He has the jump shooting of Josh Howard,

There is a slight difference though... LeBron is 18 and a rookie... J-ho is 22 and was in college for 4 years. Also, IMO LeBron's passing isn't just showboating... he has truly uncanny passing abilities.

Nash13
10-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Lebron's dunking is overrated. All he does is that ugly one hand dunk.

Lebron's passing is also overrated. It seems that he goes out of his way sometimes just to make a pretty pass. All his passes seem rushed or forced.

But in Lebron's defense, Kobe didn't come in the league with great shooting. Now, he's a pretty good shooter.

Murphy3
10-16-2003, 11:51 AM
If LJames has one thing, it's amazing court vision for a player of his age...well, for an NBA player of any age.

ReDIRKulous
10-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Lebron's dunking is overrated. All he does is that ugly one hand dunk.

I guess you missed his between the legs dunk that was in a game. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif I have never even heard of Kobe pulling one of those off. It was in a highschool game... but still it was a breakaway dunk... should translate. He gets some serious air too. One dunk looked like his head was above the rim.

grndmstr_c
10-16-2003, 12:08 PM
I have never thought his passing looked rushed. The guy's a beautiful passer with uncanny vision and anticipation. His dunks are not the most creative (between the legs aside, he does tend to favor that one hander), but I still get a kick out of watching his athleticism. He'll get challenged on those dunks now, and I think that will make for some more exciting ones (and some "get that $#!t outta here" blocks). Definitely needs to improve his shooting, but he's got time. If he's still chunkin bricks and airballs in a couple years I'll start doubting.

Drbio
10-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Who gives a crap if his dunks are vanilla? He won't miss vanilla dunks....those who showboat often hit the rim or the back of the hoop and end up looking like a fool. Lebron seems to understand that the one hand dunk is a high percentage shot. He's more court mature than probably half of the players in the NBA. I for one like that.

Murphy3
10-16-2003, 12:26 PM
doc, he's probably more 'off the court' mature than three-fourths of the NBA as well.

ReDIRKulous
10-16-2003, 12:30 PM
I think people just forget how young this kid is... and that he is 18, 6'8 and weighs about as much as Dirk yet does everything but shoot like a professional NBA guard. And unlike Kobe... his teammates actually like him! lol That is what really impresses me about him, the kid has a ton of charisma, and believe it or not he actually isn't cocky. He is very confident... basically a realist, he knows he is talented.. but he isn't boastful.

dirno2000
10-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3
If LJames has one thing, it's amazing court vision for a player of his age...well, for an NBA player of any age.

That and an NBA body at the age of 18. Amare Stoudamire hit the league unlike any previous high school player. He's skills were still developing, but physically, he could already hold his own with anybody in the league. Labron is younger then him but looks like he's been on an NBA weight program for 2 or 3 years.

I don't like the form on his jump shot. He has a low release point and his motion is not fluid. Then again, Michael Adams was a good shooter, so I guess if you practice enough form becomes less important.

sike
10-16-2003, 01:00 PM
these young guys are bringing about a new era....one in which you can be 18-20 and have the body of a man and the skill of a vet....pretty soon all us old timers will be saying "remember when guys played college ball, boy those were the days....."
"dear collage hoop fan....sorry, you are losing your game and I can do nothing about it....yours truly, D. Stern."

Drbio
10-16-2003, 01:21 PM
doc, he's probably more 'off the court' mature than three-fourths of the NBA as well.

Good call murph.......

sage
10-16-2003, 02:36 PM
it is true that he has been in the process of becoming a superstar for many years...he is much more prepared for the "big time" than most...but how will all that pampering payoff???? other than huge $ I mean.....will his 19 year old head be able to do that which most can't ...in the battle between James and Demise, many seem to be betting on demise (or at least let down) for his first year.....but seriously, what would be considered a good year...12ppg, 4rpg, 5apg....or must he have spectacular numbers??? What would be deemed a good year for the kid?

grndmstr_c
10-16-2003, 02:49 PM
If he's getting plenty of time on court (which he probably will) I'd be most focused on his numbers the last month or two of the season. What I'd be looking for: minimum 12 ppg on at least 40% shooting, minimum 4 rpg (with that athleticism he should be a great rebounder even at the SF slot), a respectable (well...at least as good as Steve Francis) A/TO ratio. I wouldn't hold some inconsistency against him, but there should also be some performances in there that demand recognition (think Amare last year in that game vs. Minny or Kidd's first triple double back when he was a rook).

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 06:29 PM
Well I sure hope he averages
more than 8ppg
on 33.3% shooting
while having a 4.1as/3TO ratio

4.6 rpg is good
so is 1.3spg and 1.3bpg

He has a national audience tonight, but the real test is going to be the regular season.

Carmelo Anthony is averaging 50% shooting 18ppg
Chris Bosh is averaging 53% 15ppg
Josh Howard rounds out the rookies on the top 50 with 10.8ppg and .457 FG%

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by: QCarFan

that added a lot of substance to the thread...

edit: took out words like "idiot" and ""shut up"

dirno2000
10-16-2003, 06:33 PM
Chris Bosh is the real deal. Vince will grow to appreciate him.

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 06:35 PM
Could it be because Nellie doesn't coach to win those games?

Dont tell me the Lakers play to win preseason games. They dont even play to win regular season games.

This game is all about the old meeting the new. Malone and Payton are on their way out and LeBron is on his way in.
Also it doesnt hurt ratings to have Shaq, the Mailman, Payton, Kobe and King James on the floor at the same time.

Kobe schooling James was probably why they televised it. The head to head could be hyped pretty well.

At least they will have three of the five on the floor...

dirno2000
10-16-2003, 06:56 PM
I don't Shaq is playing

Drbio
10-16-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

that added a lot of substance to the thread...

edit: took out words like "idiot" and ""shut up"

It's easy to add those when dealing with dunderpates. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

ReDIRKulous
10-16-2003, 09:01 PM
First real basketball game of the season for me!

Edit: NO! More Charles Barkley! i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif Mark my words -- Barkley will be politicing(sp) for Kobe's innocence and against the Mavs ALL season.

Also, notice how TNT is painting Kobe as an innocent already.

FreshJive
10-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Barkley just said Kobe shouldn't play, because it will hurt the Lakers.

10-16-2003, 09:33 PM
it hurts my eyes to see Malone in a laker jersey...

ReDIRKulous
10-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Barkley has taken the Mavs bashing to an entirely new level.!According to Barkley there is no longer a "big four"... just a" big three" and it doesn't include the Mavs. I guess Barkley is still really bitter about Dirk calling him a moron. lol

grndmstr_c
10-16-2003, 09:44 PM
I was so glad when Dirk called him a moron. It's made it so much easier to deal with Barkley's BS.

FreshJive
10-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Miles at PG is just comical.

grndmstr_c
10-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Yeah. That's not going to last long.

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 10:00 PM

I'm not questioning it, but Kwame Brown was supposed to be more mature than 3/4 of the players in the NBA, and he fell apart. Remember the fiasco with the order out food and the expensive suits?

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 10:02 PM
this is one of the worst games Ive seen for a while. It's sloppy, slow, and no one is into the game.

grndmstr_c
10-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Lebron's jumper has too much arc on it. It's looks more like a lob pass than a shot. His jumping ability is just stupid though.

FreshJive
10-16-2003, 10:07 PM
this is one of the worst games Ive seen for a while. It's sloppy, slow, and no one is into the game.

It's still the most beautiful thing I've seen on TV since last season.

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 10:08 PM
His jumping ability is just stupid though.

stupidly amazing

ReDIRKulous
10-16-2003, 10:08 PM
I am surprised so few fans are there. BTW, is this Chenowith guy related to Bradley.. there is an odd resemblance.

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by: FreshJive

It's still the most beautiful thing I've seen on TV since last season.

Im watching it...

Are you happy now? Are you happy to see how much of an addict I am?

i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
I am surprised so few fans are there. BTW, is this Chenowith guy related to Bradley.. there is an odd resemblance.

Laker fans suck...they leave in the third quarter and they dont show up for the preseason.

one long blue sock
10-16-2003, 10:12 PM
I love how win Bron, or Malone makes a good shot, it will be spectacular

And when anyone else does the same thing, its nothing, I don't see anything resembling a LA championship team.

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by: one long blue sock

And when anyone else does the same thing, its nothing, I don't see anything resembling a LA championship team.

I'd like to think the players are all confused with the triangle, but there arent many phenomenal players. Even Payton wants to run it, but he seems smothered, not to mention way slower than he used to be 4 years ago. He went up for a steal and got the ball but smacked the guy in the face and pouted about it. Cant get away with that anymore

grndmstr_c
10-16-2003, 10:15 PM
stupidly amazing

That is indeed what I meant, Erica. I take it you saw the fast break dunk in quarter # 1.

FreshJive
10-16-2003, 10:18 PM
Yeah Erica your right. After the initial rush from the first few minutes its becoming less satisfying.i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

EricaLubarsky
10-16-2003, 10:25 PM
its thrilling to watch a slow half-court game where both teams are shooting under 35%

Neither team has made a 3 either.

Even the dunks suck because there isnt any D being played

Simon2
10-16-2003, 10:26 PM

My wife just said the same thing.

Simon2
10-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Watching Malone again makes me regret not having him on the Mavs. He would surely have helped the Mavs in some way or another. People say he's old but he looks like he's still better than most of the players. Mavs dropped the ball on that one.

FreshJive
10-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Get that S$#T outta here KawlMuhlone!

Rod1975
10-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000

That and an NBA body at the age of 18. Amare Stoudamire hit the league unlike any previous high school player. He's skills were still developing, but physically, he could already hold his own with anybody in the league. Labron is younger then him but looks like he's been on an NBA weight program for 2 or 3 years.

I don't like the form on his jump shot. He has a low release point and his motion is not fluid. Then again, Michael Adams was a good shooter, so I guess if you practice enough form becomes less important.

I like the old school Micheal Adams reference. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif
Adams could only shoot like he did when he was open, however James can rise up over the defense to shoot his ugly J.

ReDIRKulous
10-16-2003, 10:59 PM

Steve Kerr just said his shot looked like it had a lot of potential. Ah.. but what does that guy know!

QCarFan
10-16-2003, 11:58 PM
malone should be in a mavs uni

ReDIRKulous
10-17-2003, 12:04 AM
You think Malone was going to come to the MAvs so he could potentially get worked over by Shaq? I don't believe it for a second. I don't think he had any intentions of playing for the Mavs... if he did he would of let them know about it.

Max Power
10-17-2003, 12:13 AM
malone should be in a mavs uni

He's wearing Laker yellow. I hate him now.

EricaLubarsky
10-17-2003, 12:16 AM
I wish everyone would shut up about Malone already. We didn't get him, and we probably never had a legitimate chance to get him.

Should I talk about Jermaine O'neal? That was a rumor for a while too.

O'neal should be in a Mavs uniform. Waah Waah

dirno2000
10-17-2003, 02:10 AM

Steve Kerr just said his shot looked like it had a lot of potential. Ah.. but what does that guy know!

That's a nice way of saying he can't shoot.

QCarFan
10-17-2003, 03:15 AM
I just remember him saying that he wouldn't mind playing for the Mavericks and that they also never contacted him about playing, and if they made no effort then they did drop the ball.

Shaq Attack2
10-17-2003, 03:17 AM
Yikes, watching Lakers camp fodder play that many minutes was painful. Can't wait till the Lakers cut garbage like Chenowith, Sampson, etc.

Anyway, great game for Karl. It's damn impressive that he's still lighting it up at age 40. Him and Shaq will be a killer front court this year. Gary was impressive as usual, but Devean and a some camp fodders completely bungled way too many passes, otherwise GP would have had 12 assists instead of just 7. Fisher ran the floor beautifully, he's clearly lost some of that bulky muscle mass that kept him from running and gunning last year, and that'll be great for him this season.

It'll be great to see Shaq and Kobe back in the next two weeks. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Originally posted by: one long blue sock

I'd like to think the players are all confused with the triangle, but there arent many phenomenal players. Even Payton wants to run it, but he seems smothered, not to mention way slower than he used to be 4 years ago. He went up for a steal and got the ball but smacked the guy in the face and pouted about it. Cant get away with that anymore

He was easily the best PG in the league 4 years ago, but not anymore. But he's still a very good defender and definitely quick, smart, and a good enough passer to be a top 3 PG. That's more than enough for any team whose #1 option isn't their PG.

ReDIRKulous
10-17-2003, 03:19 AM
That's a nice way of saying he can't shoot.

Or just a way of saying his shot will be fine... he is 18 and a rookie in the NBA.

dirno2000
10-17-2003, 08:06 AM
Of course it'll be fine if he works at it. It's just not the most picturesque shot in the league.

WayOutWest
10-17-2003, 09:41 AM
While I've yet to be impressed overall by Lebron, his court vision is amazing. Once his jumpshot becomes respectable he should become a terrific player. For now I'm sure scouts will pick up on giving him lots of space to shot that crappy jumper of his in favor of getting to close and getting burned by his quickness and tremendous athleticism.

Carmello will be the ROY, can't wait to see him play.