PDA

View Full Version : Award predictions

one long blue sock
10-15-2003, 09:34 PM
MVP= Garnett, he came close this past year, but with the extra help he has. He will get more wins, more wins means more votes. Though it will be very close.

Coach of the year= Nelson, this depends on who wins the championship, but with the Mavericks being so underrated, if they come up with big wins against top teams, some people will recognize.

Rookie of the year= Melo, he will probably be the scoring champion for the rookies. But also Darko has been slow to develop, and Bron's hype might give him to of high expectations, so that will make him look worse.

Defensive player of the year= Wallace, this depends on who comes out of the east, if Detriot plays well, of course Big Ben, if Indiana comes out, then Artest will be given a chance, but Artest's attitude is the deal breaker.

Most Improved Player= Kwame Brown, he showed signs of brilliance last year, and now that Jordan is gone, he might show his stuff. Ming might also have a great year, but people will expect that too much.

6th man= Corliss Williamson, with Nick a starter, Andreai one to, and hopefully Jackson to (he deserves it, and it would sure help my fantasy team) that would leave the 6th man from 2 years back.

NBA 1st team
Kidd
Tracy
KG
Dirk
Duncan

Kobe might not be in jail, but if i had the case, I sure as hell wouldn't be playing up to my normal level. As for Shaq, injuries, teammates, he might be the boss of his team, but Duncan will be the best center.

2nd team
Marbury
AI
Kobe
Webber
Shaq

3rd team
Nash
Pierce
Marion
Amare
Ming

The rookies last year have had a little experience, look for them to play well.

Tell me what you think

Nash13
10-15-2003, 10:22 PM
I disagree with all but one, and that Ben Wallace.

MVP= Really hate to say it, but it's going to be Tim Duncan again. Now that the media proceeds the Lakers as "deep", Shaq won't win. No one from Dallas or Sacramento won't win it in a while, so it's Duncan by process of elimination.

Coach of the Year= Bill Cartwright. It will be overflooded by the media when the Bulls make the playoffs again without MJ. And even if it's not Bill, it'll be some coach in the east.

Most Improved Player= Carlos Boozer. He will get a lot of minutes as a power forward for the Cavs. He was in the top 5 in the league last year in fg%. He showed more signs of brilliance than Kwame. Also, don't count out Welsch if he plays like he did against the Clips.

Rookie of the year= My original thought was Kirk Hinrich, but it's looking like Crawford will get a lot of time. I'm going to have to go with Maciej Lampe, and i'm not just saying that because he's on my fantasy team. This will all depend on McDyess's injury. Either way, he should get enough minutes and touches on the wounded Knicks.

6th man of the year= Although i don't believe in this award, it'll probably be Speedy Claxton. He will recieve a lot of minutes if/when Nick Van Exel can't control GS's offense.

All NBA Teams will be the same as last year.

grndmstr_c
10-16-2003, 12:54 AM
Without taking issue (or necessarily endorsing) your picks, it's worth noting that all those awards are regular season awards and therefore are not affected by playoff performances.

Fah Q
10-16-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Without taking issue (or necessarily endorsing) your picks, it's worth noting that all those awards are regular season awards and therefore are not affected by playoff performances.

So what if they are regular season awards? You do have to play the regular season to make it to the playoffs therefore players that play well for their teams should receive these awards.

grndmstr_c
10-16-2003, 01:42 AM
So, some of the picks in the first post (coach of the year, defensive player), suggested that who won would depend on who made it to and won the finals. That's wrong, and that's what.

jayC
10-16-2003, 03:36 AM
MVP: Tracy McGrady they will suprise us all and come out of the east
Coach of the year: Larry Brown he will transform the pistons into an exciting team especially with Darko
Rookie of the Year: Melo
MIP: Lamar Odom this guy is going to have a break out season
6th man: Bobby Jackson he could start for the kings. Last year he was the kings first half MVP!

seelenjaeger
10-16-2003, 07:30 AM
MVP - Kevin Garnett. Finishing just behind the Mavs all of the Wolves success will be called upon him beeing a leader. Tim Duncan will struggle to do it all and miss some games due to injury, and Dirk won´t get enough respect. Neither Kidd nor TMac will be dominant enough to win over the West.

MIP - Zach Randolph. Taking over the starting Job for the Jail Blazers, he will be a monster on the boards and in the paint.

6th man - Mehmet Okur. Breakout season, still Darko and Ben will log the majority of the minutes as starters.

Rebounding award - Tim Duncan.

Scoring - TMac.

Rookie of the Year - Melo and Bosh are the runner ups, and Melo getting the nod.

CoTY - Tim Floyd.

Exec of the year - Kiki Vandeweghe.

MavsFanatik33
10-16-2003, 08:40 AM
MVP= It should be Dirk of course, but there's no way he gets it. It will probably be either Garnett or Duncan.

Coach of the year= Don Nelson definately.

Rookie of the year= It's up for grabs between Carmelo and Darko. If Lebrom gets it, the NBA is officially out of control.

Defensive player of the year= Ben Wallace, he is the heart and soul of Detroit's dominating defense in the East, and for this reason we might see them in the finals.

Most Improved Player= Danny Fortson, but I'm just a Mav's homer. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

6th man= Bobby Jackson might get it again, but you never know.

Scoring - TMac, he's a scoring machine. Plus, he's my first pick on my fantasy team.

LRB
10-16-2003, 12:58 PM
MVP = Tim Duncan With Shaq hurt and the Spurs looking strong, I only think that a serious injury can knock him out of contention.

Coach of the Year = Byron Scott. If he can get the Nets back to the Finals for the 3rd year in a row with all the bitching and balling Kidd and Mourning are doing he deserves it.

I'll have to think a while on the rest.

one long blue sock
10-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
So, some of the picks in the first post (coach of the year, defensive player), suggested that who won would depend on who made it to and won the finals. That's wrong, and that's what.

I accidently said championships on the first coach of the year, and I never said anything about playoffs in DPOY

grndmstr_c
10-16-2003, 05:18 PM
"Defensive player of the year= Wallace, this depends on who comes out of the east, if Detriot plays well, of course Big Ben, if Indiana comes out, then Artest will be given a chance, but Artest's attitude is the deal breaker."

Saying it depends on who comes out of the East sounds very much like saying it depends on the postseason to me.

one long blue sock
10-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Well I meant who had the best record since Detroit had it last year, and Indiana was close.

grndmstr_c
10-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Fair enough. I read it the other way and just wanted to add that clarification in case someone didn't know. For what it's worth, I think both those picks are solid ones. Ben's going to be in the running for DPOY for the forseeable future, and I personally thought Don should have won last year. If we play the elites well and show improvement as the year goes on (like the Spurs did last year) hopefully that will be enough to get him the award.

MavsFanatik33
10-22-2003, 09:25 AM
Now that we have Walker, I'd like to change my award prediction for 6th man of the year to Antawn Jamison

LRB
10-22-2003, 09:59 AM
I'll but jamison down as my 6th man as well.

Put Nellie down for executive of the year with the 2 blockbuster trades.

LRB
10-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Oh and put Ainge down as goat of the year.

Usually Lurkin
10-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by: LRB
Oh and put Ainge down as goat of the year.

hoo eee. they should.

6th man: Jamison.

MVP: Dirk or TD (Really TD, but hey. Garnett won't get it cause the wolves will kinda suck. No one in the east will get it cause people think the east sucks cause the players)

Coach of the year: Byron Scott (well, someone from the east because everyone thinks the east sucks because of the players.)

Most improved player of the year: Wang ZhiZhi. This is his year. I swear. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Shaq Attack2
10-22-2003, 04:17 PM
MVP = Shaq. He's healthy and motivated this year, and that means he'll be scary. Runner up is Duncan, of course.

Coach of the year = It could be Adelmen, Jackson, or Pop, flip a coin.

ROY = Melo. He's a mature player and I just plain like his game. LeBron isn't there yet, though he could certainly surprise me this year.

DPOY = Ben Wallace, without a doubt. Unless he get injured, he'll be his usually dominating self. Runner-up will be Artest or Kobe.

MIP = This really can't be predicted, but I'll put Curry as a wild guess.

6th Man = possibly Bojax again, but this is another toss up. Depending on how the Mavs switch up their starters, it could be Jamison.

madape
10-23-2003, 04:32 PM
MVP: Yao - I may be going out on a limb with this one, but Yao and JVG are going to help back the glory days of the dominant center. Yao's going to put up numbers that will shock the average person.
Coach - Bill Cartwright. No team will be more improved than the Bulls, who could very well win the Eastern Conference. Cartwright will get a lot of the credit for the improvement.
ROY - LeBron James. Why isn't anyone picking this guy? He could lead the league in triple doubles next year. You know he'll get 40 minutes a game! Can 18 points, 8 assists, and 6 boards be THAT much out of the question? Those aren't just ROY numbers, those are all-star numbers. I'd be shocked if Melo could even score more points than LeBron, much less compete with that fat-ass stat line.
DPOY: Yao - I'd go with Wallace, but I think his minutes are going to decline with Okur emerging and Darko being foced PT. The Rockets are going to be flat out dominant defensively, probably ranking better as a unit than anyone in the leage. Yao will be the reason why. He's going to go on a shot-blocking and rebounding BONANZA.
MIP: Jamal Crawford. You can see the 25 point, 8 assist player inside of him, just ITCHING to get out. He blew UP in the last quarter of the 2003 regular season, and he's flat out dominated in the preseason.
6th man: Jamison. He would literally start for every single team in the NBA except for Dallas. He's a bonefied franchise player on most teams. He will rip second units to shreads this year.
Exec of the Year: Mitch Kupchack. It's not fair what he was able to do. It's just not. Aquiring two of the best players in the game and giving up nothing? I don't know how he did it.