PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Webber, Richardson likely to be suspended

Max Power
10-20-2003, 02:36 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1769106

NBA: Webber, Richardson likely to be suspended
Associated Press
Oct. 20, 2003 1:51 p.m.

NEW YORK (AP) Chris Webber of the Sacramento Kings and Jason Richardson of the Golden State Warriors probably will be suspended for the start of the NBA season because of their separate legal cases.
Russ Granik, the NBA's deputy commissioner, gave no further details on possible punishments during a conference call Monday.

"Having been convicted or having pled guilty, it is likely that Mr. Richardson and Mr. Webber will be suspended at the start of the season," Granik said.

Commissioner David Stern said because Webber is injured, the suspension would be held off until he is healthy.

Webber, a 6-foot-10 forward, is rehabilitating his knee after averaging 23 points a game last season to lead the Kings.

He pleaded guilty to charges of lying to a grand jury about his relationship with a Michigan booster who contended he lent $616,000 to Webber and three other Wolverines.

Richardson was convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence charge stemming from an assault on his ex-girlfriend.

The guard averaged 15.6 points for Golden State.

Shaq Attack2
10-20-2003, 03:04 PM
Why must the NBA punish its players for their legal troubles? I know my employer isn't going to fine or fire me for something completely unrelated to my job (at least, if it were these player's crimes).

Meh, I suppose they deserve it given how low these crimes are.

LRB
10-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2
Why must the NBA punish its players for their legal troubles? I know my employer isn't going to fine or fire me for something completely unrelated to my job (at least, if it were these player's crimes).

If I had done what Webber did, I would lose my job. The trouble with NBA players is that they are public figures and committing crimes reflects negatively on the NBA. They get paid millions to keep their noes clean. They have no grounds to whine if they can't do that. Lots of people do it without getting paid several million a year for it.

Shaq Attack2
10-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by: LRB

If I had done what Webber did, I would lose my job. The trouble with NBA players is that they are public figures and committing crimes reflects negatively on the NBA. They get paid millions to keep their noes clean. They have no grounds to whine if they can't do that. Lots of people do it without getting paid several million a year for it.

I don't know about you, but if I were fired from my job for a crime I committed that did not in any way affect the performance at my job I would be quite inclined to sue. I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that I would have a good case, either. Though, I'll leave that assumption to the legal experts on this board, if they would care to comment. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Max Power
10-20-2003, 04:58 PM
Every NBA player has a morals clause in his contract. I'm sure committing illegal acts violates that.

MavsFanFinley
10-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Webber won't serve his suspension (assuming he's suspended) until he returns right?

superheadcat
10-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Webber won't serve his suspension (assuming he's suspended) until he returns right?

rite.

but theoretically, kings can clear him as soon as season starts, and put him on il once he finished suspension.

Max Power
10-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by: superheadcat

rite.

but theoretically, kings can clear him as soon as season starts, and put him on il once he finished suspension.

I bet Stern is licking his chops over the opportunity to be able to smack around a team who tries to circumvent his ruling in that way. Big fines and bigger suspensions.

LRB
10-20-2003, 06:06 PM

I don't know about you, but if I were fired from my job for a crime I committed that did not in any way affect the performance at my job I would be quite inclined to sue. I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that I would have a good case, either. Though, I'll leave that assumption to the legal experts on this board, if they would care to comment. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Oh but it does affect his job performance. He's an entertainer and his job is to sell product. Committing crimes or other immoral acts can affect his ability to do that. That's whay as Max Power brings up most players have a morals clause in there contract as do I in my employment contract.

Nash13
10-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Attack, if you've applied for a regular job while you were younger, you'd realize they ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime. The reason is it's bad for business, especially your top product.

sike
10-20-2003, 06:21 PM
now WEBBER really has something to cry about...(he always looks 'bout to cry anyway!)

dirno2000
10-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by: Max Power

Originally posted by: superheadcat

rite.

I bet Stern is licking his chops over the opportunity to be able to smack around a team who tries to circumvent his ruling in that way. Big fines and bigger suspensions.

A simple solution: make him play in a game before the suspension goes into effect.

MavsFanatik33
10-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Well this will hurt both teams dramatically...but most important, this helps Mavs when we play Sacramento. Makes you feel blessed that none of The Mavs have crime in their blood at all.

EricaLubarsky
10-21-2003, 07:34 PM

Would you lose your job if...
If you were a reporter for a local news station and you were all over the news for beating your wife?
you are an executive for a company and your company discovers you are guilty of monetary indiscretion?

Webber and Richardson are both contract workers and that by itself can exempt them from some protections. There are also a number of clauses in the contract that allow for the team and the league to terminate a contract or impose punishment.

LRB
10-21-2003, 07:50 PM
BTW Chris Webber please don't bother to apply for a job at a financial institution in the United States.

EricaLubarsky
10-21-2003, 11:41 PM
BTW Chris Webber please don't bother to apply for a job at a financial institution in the United States.

Sorry. Now that I look back on the post I feel kinda stupid.
My point was that NBA players are public representatives (reporters)
and that what Webber had done was, in the same line of work but for a different company, serious and illegal monetary crimes.