PDA

View Full Version : Luke lights the way in the Sonics' exhibition finale

Murphy3
10-23-2003, 08:56 AM
Luke lights the way in the Sonics' exhibition finale

Percy Allen Seattle Times staff reporter

It was just an exhibition. And the opponent, Golden State, isn't exactly championship caliber.

Still, Luke Ridnour is gaining converts wherever and whenever he plays.

In his second game, and the Sonics' exhibition finale, Ridnour again ignited the Sonics' reserves in a 110-91 victory.

"I love Luke," Sonics principal owner Howard Schultz raved during intermission. "It's just the beginning."

When he was done, his 12-point, 12-assist and four-steal effort caused his coach and teammates to draw comparisons between Ridnour and several Hall of Famers and All-Stars.

Sonics coach Nate McMillan used names such as Magic Johnson and Jason Kidd, while forward Reggie Evans could only think of a recently retired Utah Jazz point guard.

"He's got an eye on him," Evans said. "He's like a younger version of John Stockton. If a team just slips up for a split second, that's all he needs. He doesn't need that long. He lets us know ahead of time, I'm going to get y'all the ball, and he delivers."

That's the magic of Ridnour.

On a team led by Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis and Brent Barry, the wiry rookie from Oregon has infused the Sonics (6-2) with excitement and electricity.

"It helps when you got guys around you that can play," Ridnour said. "It makes it so much easier. You can see cuts and you can hit them. They get the ball in bad situations and they can still finish."

"Guys are liking what they see when he comes into the game," Sonics coach Nate McMillan said. "They are moving a little faster because they know that he'll get them the ball if they get themselves open.

"He brings an exciting style to the court. Not only is it fun for the players to play, I'm sure (it's fun) for the fans to see that style of basketball."

So good was Ridnour that McMillan must now consider whether the rookie should move ahead of Antonio Daniels and Ronald Murray on the depth chart.

"It's no rush for him," McMillan said. "People, I'm sure, will be talking about how he should be starting. Or (asking), 'When are you going to start him?'

"I think you allow the guy to play. That time will come. There will be plenty of time for him to spend on the floor. I want him to come off of the bench, and see how it goes."

Copyright 2003 The Seattle Times Company

Ummmmm Ok
10-23-2003, 09:23 AM
I was just going to post this and I see you done it Murph. Its pretty impressive for 23 minutes to get (4) steals, (12) assists, and (12) points in a span of 23 minutes. Damn!

his stats for last night:
Name Min FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast TO Stl Blk PF Pts
L. Ridnour 23 4-12 0-2 4-4 1 2 12 2 4 0 2 12

Evilmav2
10-23-2003, 09:28 AM
Luke Ridnour is tough, tough, tough. Luke Walton is an overrated scrub, scrub, scrub...

I am glad this thread is giving respect to LR...