PDA

View Full Version : Peterson to the Knicks? (small Mavs mention)

Tony tha Mavs fan
10-23-2003, 09:13 AM
By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Knicks have intensified their search to add a scorer after the Chicago Bulls rejected a deal earlier in the week that would have brought Jamal Crawford to New York, according to an Eastern Conference official.
Knicks president Scott Layden also has been in contact with the Toronto Raptors, who are looking to unload Morris Peterson. In both trade scenarios, the Knicks would trade Othella Harrington, a veteran with a reasonable contract who can play either center or power forward.

Finding a proven scorer who can immediately step into the rotation is paramount for the Knicks, with Keith Van Horn and Allan Houston both nursing groin injuries. Although both players are expected to be in the lineup Wednesday for the season opener against Orlando, Layden is concerned about the team's depth at shooting guard and small forward.

With Houston and Van Horn on the sidelines during a scrimmage yesterday, Don Chaney was left with Shandon Anderson, Howard Eisley, Maciej Lampe and Matt Carroll as his shooting guards and small forwards. Even with Houston and Van Horn healthy, there still is a need to upgrade the bench.

Chicago is trying to move small forward Donyell Marshall, who would give the Knicks size and scoring. Crawford can play either guard position, but his erratic play has frustrated the Bulls. The team would consider trading the 23-year-old Crawford but not for Harrington.

The deal would have allowed Layden to exercise a $2million buyout clause in guard Charlie Ward's contract, thus getting the Knicks roster reduced to 15 guaranteed contracts.

The Knicks currently have 16 guaranteed contracts, including those of rookies Lampe, Michael Sweetney and Slavko Vranes. None is expected to make much of an impact this season.

The Knicks also have a total of 11 power forwards and centers on the roster, including Antonio McDyess and Harrington both of whom are injured. Harrington, who will earn approximately $3 million this season, has a knee injury and is expected to be ready by next week.

The Raptors are said to like Harrington and have been trying to trade Peterson, who can play either shooting guard or small forward. Milwaukee's Toni Kukoc is another possibility for the Knicks.

Layden would like to orchestrate a two-for-one deal to get down to 15 contracts and has until next week to make a roster move.

A player the Knicks and about a dozen other teams would like to add is Michael Finley. On Monday, the Mavs added scorers Antoine Walker and Tony Delk, leading to speculation that Dallas would consider trading Finley. However, the Mavs maintain that Finley is not available.

MavsFanFinley
10-23-2003, 09:37 AM
A player the Knicks and about a dozen other teams would like to add is Michael Finley. On Monday, the Mavs added scorers Antoine Walker and Tony Delk, leading to speculation that Dallas would consider trading Finley. However, the Mavs maintain that Finley is not available.

I thought this was a myth? I thought some Mavs fans said no one would want him because of age and his contract?

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan
10-23-2003, 11:47 AM
even if we did trade finley, who on the knicks would we take? There is not anybody worth taking.

Ummmmm Ok
10-23-2003, 11:52 AM
would have to be a (3) team trade, because there is nobody I want from New York.

Chicago JK
10-23-2003, 11:58 AM
That is NY tabloid reporting for you at its best. A quick catcher about trying to get Crawford. Why would Chicago trade Crawford right now? Especially to the Knicks??? they wouldn't....the writer is just trying to catch attention.

Throw in NVE name (whwho you have to have in every article no matter if there is any truth behind it), then look for any marquee player who may be moved over the next few years and say the Knicks are interested in him.

Let NY have their fun. After the World Series they will have to watch a bad basketball team and two bad football teams.

Rod1975
10-23-2003, 12:25 PM
Well the Knicks definitely have to make some kind of move before the season starts because they have 16 guaranteed contracts.
Otherwise they will have to release someone and eat the contract.

jayC
10-23-2003, 12:58 PM
You can't get equal value in return their are at least 12 2 guards that have similar games to mikes and probably at least 10 or so more that aren't that far off of where he is.

Remember this is the post talking. Since when did any newspaper rumor come true.

LRB
10-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Wish the NY media would learn that Dallas is not NY's trash dump. They can keep their garbage thank you very much!!!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

EricaLubarsky
10-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by: LRB
Wish the NY media would learn that Dallas is not NY's trash dump. They can keep their garbage thank you very much!!!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

I thought New Jersey was the trash dump for the entire East. Literallyi/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

LRB
10-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

Originally posted by: LRB

I thought New Jersey was the trash dump for the entire East. Literallyi/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Then the garbage men who service the Nicks must be on strike. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif