PDA

View Full Version : Who will the Drama Queen play for next year?

Murphy3
10-27-2003, 08:44 AM
I really haven't looked to see which teams will have available cap space going into next year or whatnot. But, who do you think he'll play for next year?

I can't imagine him playing in any market that wasn't top 5. IMO, the odds on favorites has got to be the Lakers..

dirt_dobber
10-27-2003, 09:07 AM
Murphy;
I see the Lakers doing a trade before the Feb. trading deadline.
Jerry West wants him in Memphis and West has a few tradeable assests.

-Or- could the mavs trade
few pieces and get hime here? For all of the things a I dislike
about the drama queen, he is still a great fast brake run and
gun guy.

In regard to his trial, I think his defense team will surely
be able to create reasonable doubt, and he will be acquitted.

Max Power
10-27-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I really haven't looked to see which teams will have available cap space going into next year or whatnot. But, who do you think he'll play for next year?

I can't imagine him playing in any market that wasn't top 5. IMO, the odds on favorites has got to be the Lakers..

I'm sure that every sports writer in New York thinks he will be coming to the Knicks.

Stressboy
10-27-2003, 09:48 AM
If he does not get off the charges then I'll be dumb founded. The lawyers he has are good and exposed enough in just the prelim to create reasonable doubt. As for where he will end up: I think Kubcheck(sp?) has his hands full. He has Shaq demanding money and essentially demanding that Kobe move on. Thing is without Shaq, they don't compete with the rest of the West so, their window is effectively the next 3 years. They know they will always be able to get Superstar talent to LA so if I was them, I would pull a Spurs and extend Shaq for 2 more years and trade Kobe for contracts that can end then.

If I'm Kobe, I'm looking for a new home unless he is promised that Shaq is gonna leave, so he is going to opt out and move on. He needed to do that before his troubles to prove that he can be the man and really, that is the only way he will ever reach Jordan status is to take a team on his back and mature into a leader.

The problem is that trading for Kobe before the trade deadline is a risk that most franchises cannot make because of the chance that he will be in prison. I think Memphis can take that risk. They have too many rookie contracts coming up as it is. If I'm the Lakers I go for the guys that don't have extensions just yet.

The options are (note, if I don't have the contracts worked out just right, remember that Person is their on a 1 year contract instead of Wright or Battier):

Kobe for

Battier
L. Wright
and either
Gasol
or
Swift

If it is Swift, then the Lakers get a top 5 protected pick from Memphis.

All contracts are 1-2 years in length, so you can line up extensions to happen when Shaq/Payton/Malone are finished and they get enough good talent to make sure they win it all this year and probably the next 2.

If I'm the Lakers, I make that move now before the season starts.

Stressboy

dirno2000
10-27-2003, 09:53 AM
You’re right, but they may be correct on that one. Kobe would probably love to play in NY. It's the biggest market and he'd be viewed as the franchise savior.

jacktruth
10-27-2003, 10:08 AM
I don't remember the contract of Sprewell, but if it is over next year, you can bet on the Twolves coming after him.

LRB
10-27-2003, 10:11 AM
http://store6.yimg.com/I/achdirective_1765_4326884

bogey
10-27-2003, 10:15 AM
That's pretty funny LRB.

Stressboy
10-27-2003, 11:30 AM
EDIT: Scratch all of that above and below. I think the time change is getting to me. None of this matters since Shaq will count 1.5 against the cap when his contract is up so no free agents will be signing for more than Payton for the forseeable future.

I just looked up Shaqs contract and I totally misunderstood. He is signed until 05-06 and wants an extension to 07-08. That means a total of 5 more years of Shaq at astronomical wages which would make my plan moot. Thus, I think the plan would be to tell Shaq we will get rid of Kobe and give him more depth if he will wait to do the extension after it expires. So they can sign another stud at the end of 05-06, pay the rookies and then pay him for 3 more years. Otherwise, they will only be able to get him young players now for Kobe which might not help him in those last 3 years when he and the Lakers will need a lot more help.

The only other team that would work with Shaqs extension would be to try and get Carmelo/Nene for Kobe and I don't see Denver making that trade.

That being said, the Lakers will not trade Kobe to a top 6 team in the West. They will trade with the bottom teams or the east.

Stressboy

grbh
10-27-2003, 01:54 PM
If all is well in Lakerland come May I think Kobe signs an extension, but probably a short one untill the Laker champioship closes.