PDA

View Full Version : Future Trades for the Mavs

BQuinn2210
10-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Are the rumors about getting Jermaine O'Neal, Ben Wallace, or Theo Ratliff worth the time reading or are they just speculations. If you dont like these three, please let me know what trade the mavs should do to aquire a difference maker at center.

Lonnie
10-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Jermaine Oneal isnt out of the question for the end of the year. After INdiana tricked him ionto staying he was pissed off with management. He said he would play the seasonbut at the end of the year he would sit down woth Bird and talk about his futer. Walker will be in the last year of a 14 million dollar contract so that would come off the cap. Plus indiana has big plans for jonathon bender and al harrington so it is definetly possible. Walker would also be a good player in Indiana. With the 15% contract rule, it would only take walker and about 1 millions dollars worth of filler to make the trade work.

XERXES
10-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Throw Shaq into the mix and we'll consider it...

Lonnie
10-27-2003, 03:37 PM
Jermaine Oneal isnt out of the question for the end of the year. After Indiana tricked him ionto staying he was pissed off with management. He said he would play the seasonbut at the end of the year he would sit down woth Bird and talk about his futer. Walker will be in the last year of a 14 million dollar contract so that would come off the cap. Plus indiana has big plans for jonathon bender and al harrington so it is definetly possible. Walker would also be a good player in Indiana. With the 15% contract rule, it would only take walker and about 1 millions dollars worth of filler to make the trade work.

Lonnie
10-27-2003, 03:37 PM
sorry about the double post, i clicked it twice

LRB
10-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by: BQuinn2210
Are the rumors about getting Jermaine O'Neal, Ben Wallace, or Theo Ratliff worth the time reading or are they just speculations. If you dont like these three, please let me know what trade the mavs should do to aquire a difference maker at center.

Well Shaq would be nice. Maybe if we packaged TAW and Bradley together the Lakers would do the deal? i/expressions/moon.gif

EricaLubarsky
10-27-2003, 03:42 PM
well Ive heard that after the extension, Garnett is starting to feel unhappy. Lets talk about that trade.

grbh
10-27-2003, 03:44 PM
ONeal is unlikely unless things get out of hand in Indiana. You could probably get Ratliff, and Wallace is out of the question. We don't have anything we could give up for the guy.

As far as addressing the situation. Not too much you can do. Ther isn't much talent out there, and what talent is there is largely unmoveable

I did see a movie once where a college basketball recruiter went to a small village in Africa to recruit a stud nobody knew about. He even learned some life lessons along the way. Maybe Donnie could do that.

BQuinn2210
10-27-2003, 03:44 PM
Garnett would be a great pick up. Who would u package in a deal for him?

Lonnie
10-27-2003, 03:45 PM
garnett wouyld be great, but they wont get rid of him even if he asks then to. If they dont get out of the first round for two more years they will get impatient and then we will have a chance

Murphy3
10-27-2003, 03:55 PM
[quote]
Originally posted by: BQuinn2210
Garnett would be a great pick up. [quote]

..understatement of the year..

let's let the mavs play a couple of games before we ship off half the team...just a thought

MavsFanatik33
10-27-2003, 03:55 PM
We can't get anybody else amazing w/o splitting up our big 3 or jamison, I say we're good with the team we have for now.

grndmstr_c
10-27-2003, 04:02 PM
I don't see many options for a beneficial trade this year. Next year, I think Jermaine is definitely worth going after. Bird apparently likes Walker's game, so that couldn't hurt our chances. If Jermaine's not gettable, I'd be happy bringing someone like Foyle in as a free agent.

LRB
10-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I don't see many options for a beneficial trade this year. Next year, I think Jermaine is definitely worth going after. Bird apparently likes Walker's game, so that couldn't hurt our chances. If Jermaine's not gettable, I'd be happy bringing someone like Foyle in as a free agent.

At some point this year, if we want to have any success this year that is, we need to stop trading players and get the ones we have to learn to play together as a team. We have a hell of a lot of talent, but if the talent doesn't get to play together they are going to be ineffective as a team.

Lonnie
10-27-2003, 10:04 PM
This is probaly wishful thinking but look at this lineup if we can land Oneal

C- Oneal
PF- Dirk
SF-Jamison
SG- FIN
PG- Nash (if resigned)

That gives us a center in the middle who can rebound, scoring at every position, and players who are all willing to putm team goals in front of personal goals. We will still has Fortson off the bench for toughness and J-ho for athletism and defense. It looks like a championship team to me.

BQuinn2210
10-27-2003, 10:13 PM
How do u think Jermaine O'Neal or Ben Wallace would fair playing against the centers in the west (Shaq, duncan, yao).

Lonnie
10-27-2003, 10:23 PM
Ben wallace woulnd be able to do it on a night to noght basis but the mavs run zone a lot so it might work out ok for both of them. Oneal, although he has the height, would be pushed around by shaq and even yao.

scorched03
10-27-2003, 10:23 PM
ok some ppl might make fun of me, but i had this dude on my fantasy league team and he was doing great late in the yr. good defense, can block shots, rebound, some post skills

its okur, F/C from the pistons. yes, ben wallace would be great, but the team is built around him. with darko, elden campbell, wallace, coming of age prince plus a deep bench, they wouldn't be so shabby without him, who knows if darko becomes awesome, this guy might not find alot of time, if not this yr, next yr.

so what are ur thoughts?

grndmstr_c
10-27-2003, 10:26 PM
I think Jermaine could do well as a center in the west. He's not going to be the world's best man to man defender, but he's a good shotblocker and rebounder, and offensively a frontcourt of he and Dirk would be absolute murder on other teams for years to come. If we could trade AW for him I'd absolutely do it, even if we had to take on Croshere's contract (which we probably would), and then stop making trades and go to war with that team for a good while.

Lonnie
10-27-2003, 10:28 PM
I completely agree with you on okur, but Dumars is in love with the guy. That is why wallace becomes expendable... Darko is gunna become a great foward soon and okur is gunna be their center. Wallace simpley cannot keep up with them offensively. The pistons even made a trade with the warriors this summer just to clear up cap space so they can sign okur. He will never be a mav but i do think he might allow wallace to come here

scorched03
10-27-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by: Lonnie
I completely agree with you on okur, but Dumars is in love with the guy. That is why wallace becomes expendable... Darko is gunna become a great foward soon and okur is gunna be their center. Wallace simpley cannot keep up with them offensively. The pistons even made a trade with the warriors this summer just to clear up cap space so they can sign okur. He will never be a mav but i do think he might allow wallace to come here

sounds good to me. i'd love to have okur for potential or wallace for mean streak. if not golden state is the other team with a stockpile of tall players...foyle is better than dampier

BQuinn2210
10-27-2003, 10:37 PM
I would take ben wallace over jermaine just for the fact that ben wallace has no intentions of scoring but just to get rebounds. That is the type of center we need in dallas- Jermaine would be great dont get me wrong, but if wallace is that expendable in detroit, why not make a run at him with all the depth we have. The only way i would make a run at J Oneal would be if there is a complete fallout in Indiana.

Ben Wallace=Windex(cus he cleans the glass)

Lonnie
10-27-2003, 10:43 PM
The mavs would only lose about 4 rebounds in oneal as oppose to wallace. I think a fifth scorer would force a team to gaurd the mavs at every position. When the mavs dump the ball down to wallace (if they do) theere would be no double team and wallace would pass out and we would resart our offense. If we passed it into Oneal, there would be a double team and a kickout for an open 3 from finley or nash or they would single team him in fear of the 3 and oneal would get an easy 2. It is unstoppable

scorched03
10-27-2003, 10:45 PM
how about in the meantime to please pleaseeee acquire a big guy. what if fortson or bradley get hurt in the season

2nd rounder plus filler for diop who has flopped since coming into league or
2nd rounder and something for chris mihm, who might be better than whatever is in the FA

Lonnie
10-27-2003, 10:55 PM
since diopp and mihm suck, i wished we had sign stephania but that is over now. Now I hope we can sign sobonis as an insurence policy

scorched03
10-27-2003, 11:02 PM
here's a scounting draft report on mihm i found. bet it'd bring a smile to many ppl's faces... well he's not that great, but he could come back to texas to play? i dunno

Scouting Reports
"Chris Mihm is a very talented center. Clearly the most talented in this draft. He consitantly hits his jump shot out to the top of the key. Unlike RAEF LAFRENTZ he is a true center. Seven footers who can play are hard to find. Mihm is a keeper. With Jayson Williams possibly not returning don't be surprised if the big man is taken #1 over."

Lonnie
10-27-2003, 11:04 PM
Being a texas fan, i remember when peple were saying the mihm would be good. I knew it would never happen, he was a stiff in college and gues what? He is a stiff in the NBA

BQuinn2210
10-27-2003, 11:07 PM
Sabonis isnt coming back to play. If he ever did come back, the mavs wouldnt have any easy time getting him because the blazers already expressed that they would want him badly if they made the playoffs. Sabonis has said time and time again he is fine playing in whatever god for saken country hes in and that he will not return. That would be great if the mavs could get him because he would help alot in the playoffs

Lonnie
10-27-2003, 11:19 PM
Fortson and BRadely arent excatly injury free guys. Both have suffered several injuring they ruined season for them so there is definetly cause for concern. We most likely wont get sabonis, so what do we do if one of the centers goes down. I would feel unfonfortable if Dirk was are starting center... 2 years ago he was hardly considered a PF

BQuinn2210
10-27-2003, 11:22 PM
If dirk plays center alot this year, dont u think he becomes alot more capable of injury than at PF- if we lose dirk it would hurt because hes our star and top scorer, but we could just fill walker into his PF spot and move fortson into C. If dirk can prove that he can somewhat play with the big and powerful C's in the west, then leave him there. If not, leave fortson at C and have jamison off the bench

scorched03
10-27-2003, 11:33 PM
here are the big boys, bigger than 6'10, 265.... if mavs fail to pry sabonis away
i would hate some 220 lb guy playing center with the current roster

mohammed (spelling?) atlanta
lorenzen wright doubt west would give him up
cato
John Amaechi
foyle
dampier
ostertag
jerome james
potapenko
mihm
diop
jake Voskuhl
collins twins
brendan haywood
chris marcus - too bad he got hurt senior yr

these are the more obtainable ppl in my opinion, laugh all you want at these names, but these are the bigger guys in the nba.

SeriousSummer
10-28-2003, 09:50 AM
I hate to say it, but Ostertag might be the best options for the Mavs. He's big, he's a local & he's on the last year of a pretty good sized contract so rebuilding Utah might trade him for some(one or thing) of more use to them in the future.

That said, if a game is close then I have a hard time imagining any line up including Ostertag that is better than a line up of Dirk-'Toine-'Twan, Finley & Nash. But he could eat some minutes early in a game to keep Dirk out of the center spot.

SeriousSummer
10-28-2003, 09:54 AM
This works (as do a number of other possibilities), but I'm not sure it helps either team:

Dallas trades: C Shawn Bradley (6.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.7 apg in 21.4 minutes)
SG Tariq Abdul-Wahad (4.1 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.5 apg in 14.6 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Greg Ostertag (5.4 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 23.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -5.4 ppg, -2.6 rpg, and -1.5 apg.

Utah trades: C Greg Ostertag (5.4 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 23.8 minutes)
Utah receives: C Shawn Bradley (6.7 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.7 apg in 81 games)
SG Tariq Abdul-Wahad (4.1 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.5 apg in 14 games)
Change in team outlook: +5.4 ppg, +2.6 rpg, and +1.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

LRB
10-28-2003, 10:14 AM
Ostertag is definitely not an upgrade from Bradley IMO. Shawn has more ability to but his stamp on the game at the defensive end and I like Shawn's offensive game more than Ostertags's.

Nicky31
10-28-2003, 11:24 AM
I like Bradley's overall game better than Ostertag's overall game, but I like the idea of getting rid of TAW contract off the books. The only thing that I liked about Ostertag last season was during the playoff's first rounder Jazz vs. King's. Greg really got into C-Webb's head during the series, and almost gave the Jazz a chance to win. I can't remember how he held up against Tim Duncan or Shaq, but he would be really effective if we were matched up with the King's in the playoff's this season.

madape
10-28-2003, 11:58 AM
I like Tag, but he's certainly not the same level of player as Bradley. And this team is not in the position to dump contracts just for the sake of dumping contracts. Who knows what kind of superstar we can get for Abdul-Wahad in a year or two. Having Abdul-Wahad on the roster is a good thing, not a bad thing. If Cuban's proven anything it's that big contracts can be very valuable in trades. There is no sense in this trade at all. If you really want Tag, wait a year and pick him up for the veteran minimum.

SeriousSummer
10-28-2003, 02:16 PM
I don't want Ostertag next year, I want him this year--for the championship run. (Well, honestly I don't want him at all, he's a stiff, but relatively to what might be available, I guess I want him--but by next year we can find another stiff anyway).

Bradley is better overall--but he isn't better against Shaq (hope he shows me wrong tonight).

Mavs don't need a center (except to the extent Dirk is one) against anybody except Shaq and Duncan. We can outscore Sac, Minnesota, all the least and the pretenders from the West. I don't know that we can do that against S.A. and L.A. I don't know if Ostertag or Bradley is better against Duncan, but Ostertag is better against Shaq (according to history).

I think we beat anybody else without either Ostertag or Bradley, so even though Bradley is far more effective against everybody but the elite teams, it doesn't matter.

inter1488
06-27-2004, 02:21 PM
tru