PDA

View Full Version : Rockets v. Nuggets

MavKikiNYC
10-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Ming is a beast. JVG, unlike some coaches might do, is feeding him the ball on the low blocks and daring the other team to stop him. He's touched the ball in the low post EVERYTIME down the floor in the set offense.

Impressive.

MavKikiNYC
10-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Ming rejects consecutive shots by Carmelo--a dunk attempt, then an offensive rebound putback attempt.

Impressive.

Lots of empty seats at the Toyota Center, very close to the court. What's up with that, Houston?

Rod1975
10-30-2003, 07:35 PM
I'm watching the game on TNT also.

Yao is awesome, he's a commanding presence down low.
Jeff knows how to coach a good big man, Yao will flourish under his leadership.

He just welcomed Melo to the NBA.....twice....i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Murphy3
10-30-2003, 07:37 PM
i can honestly say that I've never been this excited about the start of the NBA season

JVG will do wonders for Yao's development...kinda wish the mavs would have had someone helping dirk's low post development along a couple of years ago

ReDIRKulous
10-30-2003, 07:38 PM
Van Gundy can't be a good coach though... he has never won a championship. Van Gundy has no creativity and will never win a championship because he doesn't have a winners mentality.

Murphy3
10-30-2003, 07:39 PM
skita with a block..I'm not sure i like his BigBoyLaroux hairdo

Rod1975
10-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
Van Gundy can't be a good coach though... he has never won a championship. Van Gundy has no creativity and will never win a championship because he doesn't have a winners mentality.

So, by that rationale, would you say Larry Brown is'nt a good coach?.....that logic is lame.

Murph, the hair makes him look biggeri/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Murphy3
10-30-2003, 07:47 PM
rod, he's being a smartass.

I don't think anyone said that Nellie isn't a good coach because he hasn't won a championship..

ReDIRKulous
10-30-2003, 07:48 PM
I love how they just called that foul on Yao... Shaq does that same thing about 15 times per game.

I don't think anyone said that Nellie isn't a good coach because he hasn't won a championship..

If my comment is considered being a "smartass", would your comment make you a dumbass?

Murphy3
10-30-2003, 07:51 PM
I love how they just called that foul on Yao... Shaq does that same thing about 15 times per game.

it was a foul on yao...and shaq was called for two fouls similar to that on opening night... '15 times per game' is a gross exaggeration.

MavKikiNYC
10-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3

Denver leads the league in bad hair--Skita, Barry, Miller, Anthony......

MavKikiNYC
10-30-2003, 07:53 PM

JVG, at least, has been to an NBA Finals. So he's a half-good coach.

Dirk41= konsesjonen
10-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC

Denver leads the league in bad hair--Skita, Barry, Miller, Anthony......

In Barry's case, thack of hair i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Rod1975
10-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Wow, that was a beautiful play by Chris Andersen, gathered himself in full stride and went up strong off two feet for the dunk and the foul.
Sweet pass from Jon Barry to set him up.

ReDIRKulous
10-30-2003, 08:08 PM
JVG, at least, has been to an NBA Finals. So he's a half-good coach.

I thought the WCF was the NBA Finals?

BTW, are the Houston Rockets a member of the communist party now?

dirno2000
10-30-2003, 08:09 PM
VG will do wonders for Yao's development...kinda wish the mavs would have had someone helping dirk's low post development along a couple of years ago

It's still not too late. Dirk's post game is improving but I would feel better if he had someone more accomplished than Paul Mokeski(sp?) tutoring him on the intricacies of playing the low post.

Murphy3
10-30-2003, 08:12 PM
It's still not too late. Dirk's post game is improving but I would feel better if he had someone more accomplished than Paul Mokeski(sp?) tutoring him on the intricacies of playing the low post.
oh sure, it's not to late..dirk's already an effective/efficient low post player... but imagine how dominant he'd be down low if it would have been stressed more a couple of years ago.

ReDIRKulous
10-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000

VG will do wonders for Yao's development...kinda wish the mavs would have had someone helping dirk's low post development along a couple of years ago

Can he go to one of those bigman camps in Hawaii? I think Cubes should hire Bill Walton to tutor Dirk at playing center.

ReDIRKulous
10-30-2003, 08:15 PM
oh sure, it's not to late..dirk's already an effective/efficient low post player... but imagine how dominant he'd be down low if it would have been stressed more a couple of years ago.

I wonder what kind of player Jordan would have been if they had tried to turn him into Charles Barkley? Do you think he would have more championships than he has now?

Murphy3
10-30-2003, 08:17 PM

I wonder what kind of palyer Jordan would have been if they had tried to turn him into Charles Barkley? Do you think he would have more championships than he has now?

your comment makes no sense...

dirno2000
10-30-2003, 08:43 PM

That was the originally the plan. I remember the Mavs sending Dirk to summer league after his 2nd year. He was supposed to play center and work on his post game. He ended up toying with the competition, but he didn't play down low as much as I expected.

Murphy3
10-30-2003, 08:58 PM
dirno..with dirk already being efficient down low, the Mavs probably could have done wonders for him simply by utilizing him in the post more last year in game situations.

At times, they did. I remember the OT game against Indiana last year..the mavs posted dirk up maybe a couple of times the entire game during regulation..but, as soon as OT started, nellie decided to go to dirk every possession down on the low blocks. The mavs quickly pulled away (obviously, that's just one game..but, i really don't think there's anyone here that would argue that dirk wasn't efficient down low even though he hadn't necessarily found his comfort level).

Murphy3
10-30-2003, 09:29 PM
amazingly enough, ming only has 6 attempts and the game's a few minutes into the 4th already. foul trouble didn't help..but, the guy was dominant early..should have gotten more looks early.

doesn't matter, the rockets eventually pulled away

Max Power
10-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Carmelo Anthony almost gets a triple double - 18 pts, 9 boards, and EIGHT turnovers.

MavKikiNYC
10-30-2003, 10:41 PM
I know that Denver isn't a GREAT inside team, but...

anyone for the Nuggets who went into the lane early seemed to be aware of Ming's presence whether he went for the block or not. It was an excellent example of how a shotblocker can set the tone early and influence the course of the game.

Offensively, Ming was hardly even challenged on his jumpers.

He looks very, very good. I don't love his chances on a team with Steve Francis and Cutino Mobley, but like Dirk, he is a very entertaining player to watch, and he has a coach (JVG) and an assistant coach (Ewing) who are going to fast track his development.

When Houston had Ralph Sampson and Hakeem Olajuwon, Dallas had Roy Tarpley and James Donaldson. When San Antonio had David Robinson, Dallas had Darren Morninstar. Then came Tim Duncan, countered by Mantis. Or Raef. Now comes Yao Ming, countered by......Fortson?

dirno2000
10-31-2003, 12:42 AM
Cato looks like he finally decided to get in shape. Now that the Admiral has retired, the Rockets may have the best defensive 4-5 combination in the game. The Lakers may have something to say about that, but I don't know who else would.

madape
10-31-2003, 08:18 AM
Yao looked like a man playing with children last night.

Simon2
10-31-2003, 08:33 AM
I'm surprised no one has used the "Ming The Merciless" moniker yet.

kingrex
10-31-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by: Simon2
I'm surprised no one has used the "Ming The Merciless" moniker yet.

That's absolutely brilliant!

You need to get that on a t-shirt and I can guarantee you'll make money on it. I'll buy one (unless the t-shirt looked like dung).

Big Boy Laroux
10-31-2003, 09:32 AM
BBL hair? c'mon, man... skita has nothin' on me!

MavKikiNYC
10-31-2003, 11:24 AM
Cato looks like he finally decided to get in shape. Now that the Admiral has retired, the Rockets may have the best defensive 4-5 combination in the game. The Lakers may have something to say about that, but I don't know who else would.

Cato did look pretty good. He showed some good ability as a defender and rebounder, and an ability to score opportunistically. He looks like he could be a very nice complement to a player like Ming, who will be the focus offensively--exactly the kind of player the Mavericks could use opposite Dirk.

And to think that the Don Nelson traded away Cato for Chris Antsey.

kingrex
10-31-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC

Cato did look pretty good. He showed some good ability as a defender and rebounder, and an ability to score opportunistically. He looks like he could be a very nice complement to a player like Ming, who will be the focus offensively--exactly the kind of player the Mavericks could use opposite Dirk.

And to think that the Don Nelson traded away Cato for Chris Antsey.

Please don't remind me. As Nelson hyped, "Chris Antsey is the best running bigman in the NBA."

Yeah he ran right out of the league.

MavKikiNYC
10-31-2003, 11:59 AM
And he's still runnin'....

kingrex
10-31-2003, 12:17 PM
That's okay. Cato is playing for my number 2 team in the League. Go Rockets!! (unless against my beloved Mavs).