PDA

View Full Version : Who will win Rookie of the Year?

Tony tha Mavs fan
10-31-2003, 12:59 PM
Just out of curiousity, who does everyone think will win Rookie of the year?

kingrex
10-31-2003, 01:02 PM
Early returns give a slight edge to Lebron.

He will have the great hype machine to help him (not to say he hasn't lived up to it), but the NBA will also try to hype up how even they are just to make things more interesting.

My prediction is that by year's end it will still be Lebron selected as Rook of the Year.

ReDIRKulous
10-31-2003, 01:21 PM
I think it could be whos team is better a the end of the year and probably who is more agressive.

Like in the first game Lebron was just unbelieveable... but because Denver WON their first game it seemed like Carmelo kind of got the edge.

I don't really know if Denver has a better team... but I do know that (other than LeBRon) LeBron's team STINKS! lol Z and Boozer have their moments... but other than that the team is hopeless. They need some shooters desperately.

Remember last year I think Stoudemire got rookie of the year becaue Phoenix made the playoffs. But Rudy T had cancer... I didn't think it was fair to have Yao lose it for that reason. Also, I think Phoenix has the better supporting cast around Amare than Yao has around him.

kingrex
10-31-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
I think it could be whos team is better a the end of the year and probably who is more agressive.

Like in the first game Lebron was just unbelieveable... but because Denver WON their first game it seemed like Carmelo kind of got the edge.

I don't really know if Denver has a better team... but I do know that (other than LeBRon) LeBron's team STINKS! lol Z and Boozer have their moments... but other than that the team is hopeless. They need some shooters desperately.

Remember last year I think Stoudemire got rookie of the year becaue Phoenix made the playoffs. But Rudy T had cancer... I didn't think it was fair to have Yao lose it for that reason. Also, I think Phoenix has the better supporting cast around Amare than Yao has around him.

You may have a point about the teams, but Yao sorta petered out towards the end. Like he just ran out of steam.

So, I think the winner is the one who has a huge surge of production towards the end of the year and maybe not so much how the team is doing.

dirno2000
10-31-2003, 02:16 PM
Bosh - He'll emerge as the year goes on. At 6'11 he can play inside, has a pretty good touch out to about 18 feet and is a surprisingly good ball handler. Working against him is the fact that Vince will probably dominate the ball.

kingrex
10-31-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Bosh - He'll emerge as the year goes on. At 6'11 he can play inside, has a pretty good touch out to about 18 feet and is a surprisingly good ball handler. Working against him is the fact that Vince will probably dominate the ball.

I like bosh too, but your last point about Vince is the main reason why it ain't gonna happen for him this year (Rookie of the Year I mean).

Dooby
10-31-2003, 02:28 PM
I was going to say Carmello, but I think the last 48 hours have changed my mind. So, Lebron.

ReDIRKulous
10-31-2003, 02:28 PM
You may have a point about the teams, but Yao sorta petered out towards the end. Like he just ran out of steam.

I thought the whole Rockets team petered out though... and I thought it was because Rudy T had cancer. But... that is just the way it goes sometimes. Just bad luck for Yao there. They should have got co-rookie of the year though. It was pretty close and with Rudy getting cancer.... seems fair.

kingrex
10-31-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous

I thought the whole Rockets team petered out though... and I thought it was because Rudy T had cancer. But... that is just the way it goes sometimes. Just bad luck for your their. They should have got co-rookie of the year though. It was pretty close and with Rudy getting cancer.... seems fair.

I'll give you that.

I am a huge Yao fan, so you won't get too much of an argument out of me.

Nicky31
10-31-2003, 02:43 PM
I have yet to see Darko play...so I will not comment just yet. I watched L. James play against the Rockets a little last night, and I have to say he impressed me for a rookie. If he continues to improve he will be the best player in the league, and that's a hard comment to say in a league with the likes of T. Duncan, K. Garnett, S. O'Neal, and D. Nowitzki.

kg_veteran
10-31-2003, 02:48 PM
Before the season, I thought Anthony would win it for sure.

Now, I am almost positive that LeBron will win. The kid is for real.

kingrex
10-31-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by: Nicky31
I have yet to see Darko play...so I will not comment just yet. I watched L. James play against the Rockets a little last night, and I have to say he impressed me for a rookie. If he continues to improve he will be the best player in the league, and that's a hard comment to say in a league with the likes of T. Duncan, K. Garnett, S. O'Neal, and D. Nowitzki.

Tap on the break a little there, Nicky.

Lebron may be the heir apparent to Jordan, but he won't be the "best player in the league". Not yet. Not this year at least.

No doubt he'll be great, but his coronation is a bit premature.

LRB
10-31-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

I'm the same way. LeBron is quickly proving there's a lot more to his game than just hype.

MavKikiNYC
10-31-2003, 07:44 PM

Interesting how well Jim Jackson was able to throw Anthony off his game last night. Not to say that Anthony isn't a good player, or that he's even overrated, but he was not much of a factor at all in the Rockets v. Nuggets game, despite putting up some numbers.

It just shows the difference in a 30-something-year-old pro, and a 19 year-old.

In James's favor, the difference is much less apparent. He is the show in Cleveland, and I think if he didn't play another game this year, he'd still get a ton of support.

MavsFanatik33
10-31-2003, 07:55 PM
Before the season started I said that Lebron was all hype and won't do anything. I now stand corrected, he is doing it and doing it against playoff west teams as well. This kid might be over-huped, yeah; but he is proving himself.
If he falls dramatically, it will probably be Carmello Anthony. One under-rated rookie is Dwayne Wade, he has impressed me as well.

MavsFanFinley
10-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Lebron James will win it. His stats could be less than others and he will still win it.

Nash13
11-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Although he probably won't deserve it, Lebron will win. I was going to say Dwayne Wade, but it pains me to see the Miami Heat play. They just look horrible.

Psychedelic Fuzz
11-01-2003, 12:33 AM
It will be Lebron, no question. Just read an SI article and it is absolutely rediculous how people are fawning over the kid. According to the article, the city of Cleveland, the cavs, the entire league and all the corporate sponsors are all depending on Lebron.
As the season progresses, it might be a total farse, but he'll win it.

Just211
11-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Josh Howard i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

but honestly, James will win it , deserving or not. he'll be on TV every other night, while Melo will be seen like 5 times, and 3 of those 5 probably involve LeBron. But thats the way the NBA goes.

Ummmmm Ok
11-02-2003, 09:09 PM
I am going to go with Lebron. It won't matter about stats or who finishes the best, it will matter about the hype. Lebron has that! End of story.

mary
11-02-2003, 11:41 PM
I can't believe so many people are so down on LBJ. So far this kid has been pretty amazing. I like what he's doing in response to all the media attention - he's PLAYING WELL (imagine that). With all the added pressure, I'm not only impressed with how well he's played, but also with how well he carries himself in interviews - intelligent, collected...I don't give a damn about the hype, he's already my favorite rookie this year.

ames7
11-03-2003, 01:05 AM
The media is in awe of LeBron. He is pretty awesome to watch, although I haven't seen a full game w/him yet. A lot of people were saying Carmelo before the season started but it's all shifting now, even though the Cavs aren't winning & won't be winning anytime soon. It's still cool that he is actually (so far) living up to the hype. If he can keep it up w/any sort of consistency, he'll win it.

ReDIRKulous
11-03-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by: mary
I can't believe so many people are so down on LBJ. So far this kid has been pretty amazing. I like what he's doing in response to all the media attention - he's PLAYING WELL (imagine that). With all the added pressure, I'm not only impressed with how well he's played, but also with how well he carries himself in interviews - intelligent, collected...I don't give a damn about the hype, he's already my favorite rookie this year.

He is already my second favorite player, Dirk being the first. From what I have seen so far(all the nationally televised game) I would also say he is the best combination of size, athleticism and especially talent, since Jordan.

mavsfan4life
11-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Lebron James, hands down! No doubt about it, coming from high-school and in his first NBA reg. season game, he scores 25 points! Ok, am I just seeing things or is this kid amazing! Lebron James, Rookie of the Year 2003-2004!

kingrex
11-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Lebron James is already:
#1 in points per game
#2 in rebs per game
#1 in assists per game
#1 in steals per game
#2 in blocks per game
#1 in efficiency
among all Rookies in the NBA!!

mavsman
11-06-2003, 08:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it won't be Milicic. When was the last time a #2 pick didn't get any playing time? I mean, what's the deal there? I've seen him play a number of times over here in Europe, and he already was way ahead of either Okur and Rebraca. Is Larry Brown working on his rep as the second maddest coach in the league?

kingrex
11-07-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by: mavsman
I'm pretty sure it won't be Milicic. When was the last time a #2 pick didn't get any playing time? I mean, what's the deal there? I've seen him play a number of times over here in Europe, and he already was way ahead of either Okur and Rebraca. Is Larry Brown working on his rep as the second maddest coach in the league?

Word is Milicic ain't ready for primetime, but then again if we never see him play how are we to know.

arsenalth9
11-08-2003, 03:52 PM
LeBron, simply because of all the hype and him living up to some of it.

Now do i want him to win? no, i would much rather see Carmelo or Bosh win, but i think the hype around lebron is too much.

LRB
11-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by: LRB

I'm the same way. LeBron is quickly proving there's a lot more to his game than just hype.

After viewing recent games, I'm going to change my predictions. Carmelo will be ROY because he will have 4 monster games against the Mavs defense vs. just 2 for LeBron.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

kingrex
11-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Rookie performance comparisons to date:

Points per game
(PLAYER/STAT/RANK AMONG OTHER ROOKIES)
Carmelo/16.9 pts/#1
Lebron/16.8 pts/#2
Bosh/5.8 pts/#10

Rebounds per game
Lebron/7.7 rebs/#2
Carmelo/5.0 rebs/#4