he also had 11 rebounds, 7 assists and only 2 turnovers..plus, he had 2 steals

Murphy3
10-31-2003, 09:22 PM
Milwaukee 93, Indiana 79

Preview - Box Score - Recap

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, Associated Press Writer
October 31, 2003

AP - Oct 31, 8:49 pm EST

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Rookie T.J. Ford had 11 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists in his NBA debut to lead the Milwaukee Bucks to a 93-79 victory over the Indiana Pacers on Friday night.

Ford, who sat out the season opener against Minnesota with a sore right ankle, just missed becoming the second NBA player to record a triple-double in his first game, according to Elias Sports Bureau. In 1960, Oscar Robertson had 21 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists.

Michael Redd added 21 points and Tim Thomas scored 20 for the Bucks, who gave new coach Terry Porter his first win.

Al Harrington led the Pacers with 26 points on 11-of-17 shooting.

Pacers guard Reggie Miller left after the third quarter with a sore back and did not return. His availability for Saturday night's game at Atlanta was not immediately known, a team spokesman said.

Ford, the former Texas star and eighth overall pick in this year's draft, controlled the game with a lightning-quick first step and crossover dribble that allowed him to penetrate the Indiana defense and get easy buckets for his teammates.

Ford wasn't the only player hustling for the Bucks. Milwaukee seemingly got its hands on every loose ball and outrebounded the Pacers 49-25.

In one sequence in the third quarter, the Bucks missed three shots, but tracked down every rebound and finished the possession with a 3-pointer by Thomas that pushed the lead to 63-44.

The Pacers shot just 36 percent in the first half, falling behind 49-36.

Harrington converted a three-point play with 5:49 left in the game to bring the Pacers within 10 at 84-74. ^Notes: Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said before the game that he had ``very little'' conversation with Bucks owner Sen. Herb Kohl about coaching Milwaukee after George Karl was fired. Carlisle said, at the time, he was content to take the year off. That was before Isiah Thomas was fired at Indiana. ``I have no ill feelings about Milwaukee or Sen. Kohl,'' Carlisle said. ``It just didn't strike me as the right time.'' ... The Bucks snapped a three-game losing streak at Indiana. ... After shooting 94 percent (17-of-18) from the foul line in theloss to Minnesota, the Bucks were 11-for-17 (65 percent) Friday night.

Murphy3
10-31-2003, 09:47 PM
On a side note, TJ Ford has already put together one of the best careers of any former UT basketball player.

dirno2000
10-31-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by: Murphy3
On a side note, TJ Ford has already put together one of the best careers of any former UT basketball player.

lol

My only concern is how will he hold up over 82 games at his size.

If Lamarcus Aldridge will go to Texas for a year (I don't think he will but I can hope) TJ may have some competition.

dirno2000
10-31-2003, 11:01 PM
How is 5'7 TJ Ford the only player in the game with double figure rebounds?

ames7
11-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Man we're going to miss him.

Best of luck to him, except when he's playing Dallas of course.

dirno2000
11-01-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by: ames7
Man we're going to miss him.

Best of luck to him, except when he's playing Dallas of course.

If he would have stayed, UT would be ranked #1. He made the best decision though. His stock wasn't going any higher.

Shaq Attack2
11-01-2003, 04:01 AM
TJ Ford is awesome. I swear, this guy might be faster than Tony Parker, simply a speeding bullet.

MavKikiNYC
11-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Wow.

And LaF has 11 boards in two games; Fortson has 3.

LRB
11-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Wow.

And LaF has 11 boards in two games; Fortson has 3.

but the real question is would Raef looked as bad as Fortson in those silver jersey's? i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

mavsfan4life
11-03-2003, 11:49 AM
TJ Ford is gonna be big later. Just give the kid a couple of seasons and I guarentee it, he will be a starter for a team and dishin out at least 6 assists per night and a couple of points per game!

madape
11-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Just for the record, the man isn't 5'7". He measured a legit 6'0" at the pre-draft camps.

But still, I was shocked that he was able to grab 11 boards. I'll be shocked if he does it again this year. He's gonna get his minutes, and because of that I think we can expect double digit assists and single digit points from TJ on a nightly basis. But don't even begin to think of him as a triple double threat. That's just not the kind of player he is.

Murphy3
11-03-2003, 12:00 PM
Madape...i believe he was a triple double thread at one game so far...and i'd be willing to bet that he won't be a triple double threat but maybe one or two more times this season..

The guy has so much quickness..he's almost on a level all his own as far as that goes.

kingrex
11-04-2003, 12:07 PM
As a UT fan it is nice to see someone from the program do well in the NBA (so far).

MavKikiNYC
11-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Have we forgotten LaSalle Thompson already?

kingrex
11-04-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Have we forgotten LaSalle Thompson already?

Never, but it has been a while.