PDA

View Full Version : KG for MVP!

mavsfan4life
11-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Kevin Garnett is without a doubt the best player out there right now. Tim Duncan is good, but he cannot shoot like KG, he cannot dribble like KG, he doesnt have the speed and agility like KG. I was suprised last year when they accounced Tim Duncan as MVP. Yeah, he brought the Spurs to the NBA Title, but look how far KG has gotten to get where he is right now! If KG continues his killing spree and is not this years MVP, I will be dissappointed and surprised!

Murphy3
11-03-2003, 12:02 PM
i'd definitely say that shaq and td are better players

both shaq and TD are good defenders AND are more likely to take over a game offensively.

LRB
11-03-2003, 12:05 PM
I think the Tpuppies performance this year will keep KG out if nothing else. I'll have to say it's between Shaq and Duncan. I'll give the edge to Duncan because of Shaq will lose some consideration from all the allstars the Fakers now have.

Tarzan
11-03-2003, 12:11 PM
KG is a loser when the pressure starts, the playoffs. He has never won a single playoff series, ever. I think it is ridiculous to consider him for MVP.

kingrex
11-03-2003, 12:50 PM
KG is THE most valuable player on his team no doubt. But if you're basing it on how far he has taken his team, then what do you call losing in the first round every year? Is that taking your team far? If your're basing it on number of regular season wins, then hasn't Shaq and Duncan done more for their respective teams?

Again, no doubt KG is valuable and is a great player, but by your criteria does NOT surpass either Duncan or Shaq.

Now what will this year bring? We'll see. Again, that's why this season is building up to be the most exciting in a while.

dirno2000
11-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Kind of early for this, but I would think that KG along with Duncan are the early favorites. T-Mac's team won't win enough and, Shaq and Dirk have too much help. If the Wolves finish in the top 4, I think he'll win it. I doubt they'll finish that high, but it is possible.

bogey
11-03-2003, 01:19 PM
The too much help thing is a line of crap.

KG is a great player, a superstar, but he is not in the top 2 for MVP consideration yet. That goes to Shaq and Duncan. It won't change unless someone just busts out in the next month or so and keeps up the pace for the year. Right now it is the Big 2 and everyone else.

ReDIRKulous
11-03-2003, 01:33 PM
Dirk wasn't eligible last season because of Fin and Nash.... KG should not be eligible... or Tim Duncan, and especially not Shaq or Kobe.

kg_veteran
11-03-2003, 01:41 PM
If the MVP is determined by which player is "most valuable" to his team; that is, the player that is most responsible for his team's success, I'd say that would have to be Tim Duncan.

bogey
11-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
Dirk wasn't eligible last season because of Fin and Nash.... KG should not be eligible... or Tim Duncan, and especially not Shaq or Kobe.

Dirk wasn't considered last year (eligible?) because he didn't earn the MVP. Dirk is a megastar in development and my favorite NBA palyer, but he is not the league MVP yet.

DrtyFlthyNasty
11-03-2003, 02:00 PM
KG has potential to be mvp as one of the superstars in the league, but he has to really have some insane games this year. It will be either between him, duncan, Tmac. Shaq im sure wont get it because he has payton, malone, and kobe on his team. He will get plenty of rest and not have to work as much until playoffs.

kingrex
11-03-2003, 02:28 PM
KG is a contender for MVP, but until he can lift his team beyond the first round or lift his team to the best regular season record, he will NEVER get it.

DrtyFlthyNasty
11-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by: kingrex
KG is a contender for MVP, but until he can lift his team beyond the first round or lift his team to the best regular season record, he will NEVER get it.

isnt the mvp award given to a player for his play throughout the regular season? and im pretty sure they will get past the first round, but the bottom four playoff teams are looking tough now too!

LRB
11-03-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by: DrtyFlthyNasty

isnt the mvp award given to a player for his play throughout the regular season? and im pretty sure they will get past the first round, but the bottom four playoff teams are looking tough now too!

DFN in theory it is. In practice post season performance is crucial. For example MJ didn't get his 1st MVP until the year after he got his Bulls to the ECF.

kingrex
11-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by: DrtyFlthyNasty

As LRB astutely pointed out, much weight is placed upon success in the playoffs. So, IMHO until the above situations occur, KG will always be second to Shaq or TD.

dirno2000
11-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by: bogey
The too much help thing is a line of crap.

KG is a great player, a superstar, but he is not in the top 2 for MVP consideration yet. That goes to Shaq and Duncan. It won't change unless someone just busts out in the next month or so and keeps up the pace for the year. Right now it is the Big 2 and everyone else.

You can call the "too much help theory" a line of crap, but it's the reality of how the voting sometimes works. Duncan is helped by the fact that people perceive him to be a one-man gang. That same perception helped AI win the award a couple of years ago.

Also consider the "due" theory, as in; "he's been a great player for a while and he's due to win it"(see Karl Malone's 1st MVP over Jordan). KG was a fairly close 2nd last year, so this could come into play.

I wouldn't count Shaq out, but if playing with Kobe has hurt him, what will playing with Kobe, Malone and GP do? They've only played 3 games, but it looks like his shots will go down this year as he shares the ball. Shaq is a better player, but KG's more likely to win the MVP if both teams win.

jayC
11-03-2003, 04:02 PM
T-MAC is MVP he is the best two guard in the league and arguably the best three in the league. He gets to the line with frequency 10 times a game. His best role player is Juwan Howard who couldn't even make the Clippers roster.

All NBA:
T-Mac
Kobe
Dirk
Duncan
Shaq

My bad.

This year KG no longer has the excuse for having no talent on his team. They have a good center , good guards, and a good bench.

kingrex
11-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by: jayC
T-MAC is MVP he is the best two guard in the league and arguably the best three in the league. He gets to the line with frequency 10 times a game. His best role player is Juwan Howard who couldn't even make the Clippers roster.

All NBA:
Kidd
Kobe
Dirk
Duncan
Shaq

This year KG no longer has the excuse for having no talent on his team. They have a good center , good guards, and a good bench.

Just curious jayc, if T-Mac is the best 2-guard, then why is Kobe in that slot in your All NBA team? i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

kingrex
11-04-2003, 08:56 AM
KG was in MVP form last night (getting kicked out in the 1st quarter). Is it too early to call for a Dirk for MVP thread? i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

LRB
11-04-2003, 09:58 AM
KG was in MVP form last night (getting kicked out in the 1st quarter). Is it too early to call for a Dirk for MVP thread? i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Yes, try back next year. Unfortunately Dirk will need to have 2 MVP years before he has a chance of winning it.

kingrex
11-04-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by: LRB

Yes, try back next year. Unfortunately Dirk will need to have 2 MVP years before he has a chance of winning it.

Sad, but true.