PDA

View Full Version : Wells Fined by Blazers

MavsFanFinley
11-04-2003, 06:03 PM
Bonzi Wells fined by Blazers after gesture toward fan

By ANNE M. PETERSON, AP Sports Writer
November 4, 2003

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Bonzi Wells was fined by the Portland Trail Blazers on Tuesday, one day after making an obscene gesture to a fan in a loss to the Philadelphia 76ers.

Wells also threw a towel and a water bottle onto the court in frustration during the game.

The amount of the fine was not disclosed by the team.

Blazers President Steve Patterson said Wells ``acknowledged he shouldn't have thrown the water bottle or the towel, and he shouldn't have responded to the fans the way he did.''

Wells directed the obscene gesture at a fan who loudly heckled forward Rasheed Wallace during the Blazers' final timeout in the 94-83 loss.

After the game, Wells denied making the gesture. At Tuesday's practice he said he didn't remember it.

``If I did, it was probably wrong, but I don't remember,'' he said.

He later added: ``If something like that did happen, I apologize.''

Just three games into the season, attention turned to the Blazers' behavior rather than their play.

After several player arrests and team infighting fueled the ire of disgruntled fans last season, the Blazers made a concerted effort toward repairing the team's tarnished image this year.

Owner Paul Allen vowed in the offseason that the Trail Blazers would be a team that Portland could be proud of. And the team released a 25-point pledge to fans that included a promise to hold players ``accountable for their actions both on and off the court.''

Coach Maurice Cheeks said he did not see the gesture, and did not notice the items thrown on the court.

``I thought we had started getting past dealing with these things that don't have to do with basketball,'' Cheeks said.

The Blazers drew a sparse crowd of 16,218 fans to the game, the smallest regular-season crowd in the eight-year history of the Rose Garden.

Wells, one of the team's captains, had promised good behavior before the start of the season.

``I'm not going to be 100 percent perfect,'' he said Tuesday. ``I'm going to have a 10 percent lapse sometimes.''

MavKikiNYC
11-04-2003, 06:07 PM
Would either team go for the following trade--

Miami sends Eddie Jones to Portland for Bonzi and Reuben.

The $$$ work, but what about talent?

mavsfan4life
11-04-2003, 06:10 PM
Wells is crazy, that boy needs to get smaked in the face! Once he learns how to control himself, thats when you turn to him more.

kingrex
11-04-2003, 06:10 PM
Bonzi like Rasheed is an amazing talent, but what a head case. And to think both players are on the same team. Bonzi seems easily distracted by his own antics. Would you want Bonzi over a model citizen like Eddie Jones?

LRB
11-04-2003, 06:59 PM
Bonzi Wells fined by Blazers after gesture toward fan

Why does this not surprise me. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

Simon2
11-04-2003, 07:31 PM
Again, Thank God the Mavs have good citizens!

Nash13
11-04-2003, 08:25 PM
Was there a purpose of hiring John Nash? Has anything been accomplished?

OzMavs
11-04-2003, 10:55 PM
There must be no worse humiliation in life than to be Blazers fan.
Half your team are convicted of some type of misdemeanor.
You watch Rasheed earn tech after tech, night after night.
Your team underperforms, infights, fights and is hampered by overpaid players.
Then, three games into a new season, that was supposed to bring a changed Blazers outfit, Bonzi Wells loses it and make gestures at you if you even bother to turn up??

Max Power
11-04-2003, 11:40 PM
If Bonzi had been a Mav then he would have learned professionalism from the likes of Finley. Having Rasheed Wallace as your mentor was a career breaking move. I don't think he'll ever be anything other than a punk now.

bogey
11-05-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by: Max Power
If Bonzi had been a Mav then he would have learned professionalism from the likes of Finley. Having Rasheed Wallace as your mentor was a career breaking move. I don't think he'll ever be anything other than a punk now.

He'd have had a better opportunity to turn out good, but I think he would have been a punk no matter where he played. He just got the opportunity to really refine his punkability by playing in Portland.

MavsFanatik33
11-05-2003, 04:21 PM
The circle of crime continues in Portland...
We're blessed we have no problem players on the Mavs since Cuban's publicity stunt signing Rodman.