PDA

View Full Version : Popovich suspended for bumping ref

MavsFanFinley
11-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Spurs coach Popovich suspended for bumping ref

November 4, 2003

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich was suspended for one game by the NBA on Tuesday, one day after bumping a referee in the Spurs' loss to Memphis.

Popovich was ejected in the second quarter of Monday's 88-80 loss to the Grizzlies after he made contact with official Tony Brown on the court while shouting that Spurs guard Shane Heal had been fouled.

After being ejected, Popovich continued his tirade while being restrained by assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo, forward Malik Rose and others.

The ejection also carried an automatic $1,000 fine.

Popovich was to serve the suspension Tuesday night, missing the Spurs' game against the Miami Heat.

mavsfan4life
11-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Its all good

grbh
11-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Its all good

Don't waste bandwidth

kingrex
11-04-2003, 06:25 PM
Poppo is cut from the same cloth as Nellie, they both seem to believe that there are times when taking a stand for a player and getting thrown out has a long-term value. I think it puts it in the head of the player that the coach has there back, and it sends a message to the officials that this coach won't take their crap. Can it be proven to be effective?

LRB
11-04-2003, 06:55 PM
Maybe Pop can get some work as a baseball manager this summer. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

MavKikiNYC
11-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Maybe some newbie will start an "Ejections" thread documenting which players/coaches were ejected by which official against which opponent.

Look for a trend.

Nash13
11-04-2003, 08:29 PM
So the Spurs lose their best player, second best player, and Head Coach?

It seems to me they are having the problems that Dallas and Minnesota were suppose to have. Even though Dallas and Minnesota aren't 100% connected with each other, they are far ahead of where San Antonio is. Well, at least Dallas is.