PDA

View Full Version : Garnett fined by NBA

MavsFanFinley
11-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Garnett fined by NBA for throwing ball into stands

November 4, 2003

NEW YORK (AP) -- Kevin Garnett of the Minnesota Timberwolves was fined $5,000 by the NBA on Tuesday for throwing a basketball into the stands during a game against the Utah Jazz.

Garnett was ejected in the second quarter of Monday night's loss at Utah after he was called for a second technical foul. After the call by referee Jason Phillips, Garnett threw the ball into the stands while fans cheered the ejection.

Garnett scored 10 points before getting tossed with 5:20 left in the half. He backed into Keon Clark on a layup and thought he was getting a chance at a three-point play. But the shot was waved off and Garnett complained to Phillips during a timeout.

Minnesota coach Flip Saunders tugged at the back of Garnett's jersey as the forward followed Phillips around the court, but Garnett didn't back away. Phillips then called the second technical on Garnett.

After the game, Garnett said, ``I tried to talk to the ref in the right kind of way. I showed real respect. Maybe he didn't see it that way.''

mavsfan4life
11-04-2003, 06:11 PM
KGs gone mad and I dont blame him. He didnt commit that foul at all!

seelenjaeger
11-04-2003, 06:27 PM
If Raef, Bradley and most of the other unknown NBA Players who "didnīt commit a foul at all" would behave like Garnett when he "didnīt commit a foul a at all" we would have a problem soon.

LRB
11-04-2003, 06:54 PM
Fining Garnett $5,000 is like fining me a nickle, except that I'm more likely to miss the nickle. I don't get these fines. IMO they should be on a %basis or sliding scale per the players salary. Throw a ball in the stands and you could really hurt someone. How stupid.

veruca salt
11-10-2003, 03:01 AM
yeah but I'm sure you'd get over the pain when you sell the ball on ebay for $5000

Max Power
11-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by: LRB
Throw a ball in the stands and you could really hurt someone. How stupid.

I don't remember anyone bringing up this point when Nellie KICKED a ball into the stands. In fact I think he got cheers around here.

Shaq Attack2
11-10-2003, 12:51 PM
$5,000?

I'm sure KG is crying in a corner somewhere.

LRB
11-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by: Max Power

Originally posted by: LRB
Throw a ball in the stands and you could really hurt someone. How stupid.

I don't remember anyone bringing up this point when Nellie KICKED a ball into the stands. In fact I think he got cheers around here.

And we should be collectively ashamed of ourselves for not doing so.

At my old college there weren't nets to catch the football for FG's and extra points so the ball sailed into the stands. The students used to grab the ball after each score for our team and try and pass it around the stadium. I saw more than one person get totally clocked in the face with the football before the college put up nets to keep the balls from going into the stands.

MP you're exactly right, it's awful easy to overy look this behavior when someone on your team is doing it. Still doesn't make it right though. I for one will try and remember to bring this point up if a Mav player or coach ever does this again.

MavKikiNYC
11-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Let me tweak your memory.

It was pointed out that Nellie's emotional temper tantrum was disproportionate and unjustified, no matter how bad the officiating was; and that it probably contributed to the arrested emotional maturity of the ballclub as a whole vis a vis officials (particularly a player like Dirk, who may or may not be getting something of a repuation as a whiner) to see such out-of-control behavior from the person on the court with perhaps the highest level of responsibility in the franchise (other than Cuban occasionally).

Of course there were a couple of nimrods who defended him.

jayC
11-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Im sorry but that was hillarious when he threw the basketball in the stands.

kingrex
11-10-2003, 03:32 PM
I wonder if it would be appropriate for the fan who caught that basketball to ask for KG's autograph?

Rod1975
11-10-2003, 06:30 PM
5 Gs? thats all?

The NBA needs to consider who they are fining when they hand these out.

5 Gs is nothing to Garnett, it's not even a slap on the wrist....

If you have to do something, suspend him for a game...now that would hurt more. And send a stronger message.
The NBA front office is spineless.

MavKikiNYC
11-10-2003, 10:33 PM
If you have to do something, suspend him for a game...now that would hurt more.

Yeah. And it would deprive ticket buyers of the chance to see a player they'd no doubt purchased tix to see.

And it would deprive television viewers of a player of a player they would tune in to watch. And if it costs television ratings, then it costs networks advertising revenue.

Face it--suspensions aren't cost effective, except in the most extreme cases. I don't have a problem with fining the player 1/82nd of his salary, but that raises other equity issues.

Probably cheaper to weed out poor officials.