PDA

View Full Version : Jahidi White traded to Phoenix

MavsFanFinley
11-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Suns acquire C White from Wizards for G Knight

November 5, 2003

PHOENIX (Ticker) - Looking for some size to help them in the rugged Western Conference, the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday acquired center Jahidi White from the Washington Wizards for guard Brevin Knight.

White, 27, is in his sixth season. The 6-9, 290-pound wide body has career averages of 6.4 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.14 blocks in 256 games, all with the Wizards.

A 1998 second-round pick, White played just 16 games last season due to a knee injury. He played one game this season, going scoreless in four minutes.

The Suns have been using Jake Voskuhl and Scott Williams at center, which leaves them undersized against many of the teams in the West.

"This deal gives us a physical, athletic presence that complements the style and direction of our team," Suns president Bryan Colangelo said.

The 5-10 Knight was acquired by Phoenix on September 30 in a trade that also netted untested center Cezary Trybanski and sent center Jake Tsakalidis and forward Bo Outlaw to Memphis.

In his seventh season, Knight has career averages of 7.5 points and 6.5 assists in 348 games with Cleveland, Atlanta, Memphis and Phoenix. He had played just 19 minutes in three games this season.

scorched03
11-06-2003, 02:36 AM
not a bad pickup by suns.
really really wish dallas would pickup another beefy center.... i've said it before, osterage (*gulp*) wouldn't be a bad option cuz he's big and gives shaq fits (or some slappage)

think of the other obtainable centers.... he's probably the biggest and has decent rb/blocks

madape
11-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Jahidi White is a worthless piece of crap.

Scorched - Just wait until the offseason. Then it will be time to bring 'Tag home.

ItalianMobbstah187
11-06-2003, 10:27 AM
you have a thing for big white guys don't you madape i/expressions/heart.gif

madape
11-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Yes, I guess I do like big white dudes. It must be my preference for the underdogs. But really, I just like tall shotblockers and 'Tag has always been one of the best. Plus, he's from Duncanville, which is close to home.

kingrex
11-06-2003, 10:41 AM
This trade makes sense for the Suns, but why would the Wiz do this? They don't need anymore guards. Especially after the shellacking of the Mavs last night, the Wiz is loaded with young guards. Oh well, what do I care they're not my team.

mavsfan4life
11-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Suns benefit

Dooby
11-06-2003, 11:54 AM
The Suns have been without a center since, when? Draft night? Why did they wait 5 games into the season to make a trade?

thebac
11-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Bizarre. Not sure why the Wiz picked up another point guard, they already have too many point guards/combo guards, such as Blake, Dixon, Whitney, Hughes, and Arenas. It's likely a salary cap move, as Knight's salary comes off the books in 2004.

ItalianMobbstah187
11-06-2003, 01:28 PM
The Washington Post is now reporting that Brevin Knight will get the chance to compete for a job but in the end they may just waive him....

Big Boy Laroux
11-06-2003, 01:42 PM
when did the suns trade big Jake Tsakalidis? that was pretty recent, i believe (like during preseason). maybe they wanted to see if Voskhul could handle the duty...

kingrex
11-06-2003, 01:51 PM
actually they wanted to clear some cap room from the loadstone that was Tsak's contract.

Big Boy Laroux
11-06-2003, 01:58 PM
i wasn't saying they traded tsakalidis to see if voskhul could handle being the center. I was saying maybe they waited until now to trade for a center because they wanted to see if voskhul could handle it.

madape
11-06-2003, 02:01 PM
White was buried behind Laetner, Brown, Thomas, Jeffries, and Haywood. He was making over $5M a year, to pick his nose on the bench. Better to just dump him and use his salary to sign a free agent next summer. We need to see what Washington does with that salary before we judge this.

The Suns spent a valuable expiring contract on a worthless spare like White. I think they could have got more. He fills a need, but is he any better than the starting center for the New Jersey Shorecats of the CBA? Maybe, but not $5 Million better.

thebac
11-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by: madape
White was buried behind Laetner, Brown, Thomas, Jeffries, and Haywood. He was making over $5M a year, to pick his nose on the bench. Better to just dump him and use his salary to sign a free agent next summer. We need to see what Washington does with that salary before we judge this.

The Suns spent a valuable expiring contract on a worthless spare like White. I think they could have got more. He fills a need, but is he any better than the starting center for the New Jersey Shorecats of the CBA? Maybe, but not $5 Million better.

Whoa, chill. White is not a worthless spare. He's a player who can give you rebounds and decent defense for 20 minutes a game when he's healthy. A true banger. His problems are mainly two things: he's injury-prone and foul-prone. But when he plays, he makes an impact on the defensive end and on the boards (he doesn't provide you with much offense). Of course, if you don't believe he'll ever be healthy again (and there's good reason to believe that), then yes, he's worthless. But if he could stay healthy, I think that he'd make a good addition to the Mavs.

kingrex
11-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Jahidi does add some toughness down-low but not much else.

Dirkenstien
11-09-2003, 03:21 AM
i like this trade for the suns. They get some toughness down low to compliment Amare'

MavsFanatik33
11-09-2003, 03:11 PM
Not a smart move by Washington, Jahidi was looking great this season.
This guy in on my fantasy so I sure hope this doesnt affect his minutes.