PDA

View Full Version : Jazz 10-2 (If you count pre-season)

senorfrog
11-06-2003, 12:16 PM
3-1 so far this year...
Keep it up Jerry, and you'll get coach of the year.

The Jazz had their most consistent offensive performance of the young season and another dominant rebounding night in a 91-80 win over the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday, extending Utah's best start in three years.

"It's great to be 3-1. I don't think anybody expected this, but with that said we're not making any predictions on how we're going to do this year," said Matt Harpring, who had 21 points to lead the Jazz in scoring for the second straight game. "We're going to go out there and play and we'll see what happens."

So far, so good. DeShawn Stevenson had 16 points and eight rebounds, while Carlos Arroyo returned after missing two games with an ankle sprain and finished with 14 points and four assists.

Andrei Kirilenko added 11 points, four rebounds and two blocks for the Jazz, who improved to 3-0 at home this season and kept the crowd of 18,852 cheering throughout the night.

"We're doing everything we're supposed to do. We're young, talented and it's going to work out," Stevenson said. "Everybody has a role. Everybody has a job to do on the court. We don't have a superstar to get 50 shots or 20 shots."

The Jazz don't seem to be missing Karl Malone or John Stockton yet.

Utah, which had 20 more rebounds than Minnesota in a win two nights before, outrebounded Phoenix 48-35. After fourth-quarter comebacks for wins over Portland and the Timberwolves, Utah didn't need to rally this time.

The Jazz led 73-56 at the end of three and held off a late Phoenix run.

"It's fun to see these guys have an opportunity to win a ballgame because they did play hard," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said.

Shawn Marion scored 20, Amare Stoudemire had 18 points and both players pulled down nine rebounds to lead Phoenix. The Suns were 30-for-80 from the field and trailed by double digits much of the game.

Stephon Marbury was just 3-for-13 with nine points and six assists for Phoenix, which opened 1-3 for the third straight season.

"It's really hard to score with the type of defense they were playing against me," Marbury said. "I don't think we overlooked them. They had more energy than us tonight and that was the key. We couldn't match that energy."

Joe Johnson finished with 11 points for Phoenix.

The Suns scored the last nine points of the first half while holding Utah scoreless for 2:45 to cut Utah's 15-point lead to 46-40 at halftime.

But the Jazz pulled away in the third and led by as many as 19 before Phoenix made one last push with a 9-2 run. Johnson made two free throws with 1:41 left to cut Utah's lead to 85-77, but Arroyo responded with a jumper from outside the lane.

After a miss by Phoenix, Harpring got a key offensive rebound and added a layup to put the Jazz back up by 12 and end the threat.

Game notes
Utah outrebounded Phoenix 14-5 in the first quarter while taking a 32-23 lead. ... Marion, who blocked layups by Harpring on consecutive possessions, stopped a 13-1 Utah run with a layup midway through the second quarter to pull Phoenix to 39-25. ... Utah's Keon Clark got a cheer during a timeout when he posed for a picture on the court with a young boy who came up to about the 6-foot-11 forward's knee. ... Phoenix rookie Leandro Barbosa did not make the trip because of personal reasons

kingrex
11-06-2003, 01:25 PM
kudos to Sloane and his team of youngsters, but we'll see how that record stands-up over the length of the season.

Dooby
11-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Jazz 10-2 (If you count pre-season)

I don't.

MavsFanatik33
11-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Jazz 10-2 (If you count pre-season)

Nobody counts pre-season, so why are you?

TripleDipping
11-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Preseason doesn't mean anything to me... Sloan has the young guns coming out with fire at the beginning of the season... impressive nonetheless but let's curb our excitement for now and see how long will this fire burn.

senorfrog
12-27-2003, 02:20 AM
I will be back later this year to serve crow. You can't tell me preseason isn't any indicator.

Shaq Attack2
12-27-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by: senorfrog
I will be back later this year to serve crow. You can't tell me preseason isn't any indicator.

So the Jazz start out 10-2 (counting preseason) and have gone 13-12 since. Gee, I guess your point, uh, isn't quite convincing. i/expressions/rolleye.gif

Not that I disagree that what Sloan is doing with his team is great and all, but it's hardly worth bragging over or bumping an old thread over.

senorfrog
12-28-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2

So the Jazz start out 10-2 (counting preseason) and have gone 13-12 since. Gee, I guess your point, uh, isn't quite convincing. i/expressions/rolleye.gif

Not that I disagree that what Sloan is doing with his team is great and all, but it's hardly worth bragging over or bumping an old thread over.

Lighten up smartass. Don't sit around and police comments. I'm not bragging and I don't need your advice on which threads should be revived. I'm simply restating at the 1/3 point that IMO, Jerry Sloan appears to be headed for coach of the year.

Shaq Attack2
12-28-2003, 02:12 AM
Lighten up smartass. Don't sit around and police comments.

Haha, take your own advice.

I'm not bragging and I don't need your advice on which threads should be revived. I'm simply restating at the 1/3 point that IMO, Jerry Sloan appears to be headed for coach of the year.

Yeah, we'll see.

Max Power
12-28-2003, 02:31 PM
I'm simply restating at the 1/3 point that IMO, Jerry Sloan appears to be headed for coach of the year.

Hubie Brown should be in the mix too. Jeff Bzdelik is doing a fine job as well. Whichever of the three coaches that make the playoffs will probably get coach of the year.

LRB
12-28-2003, 06:18 PM
I would say that Sloan has an edge because he's never won it but probably deserved to several times. This would be sort of like a makeup call which the NBA is infamous for. i/expressions/rolleye.gif