PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch the 2 OT of Lakers vs Spurs?

Simon2
11-07-2003, 08:38 AM
Spurs without Duncan and Parker give Lakers a hard time. Ginobili is a very good player. Rose gave them fits inside. I'm sorry to say that the Mavs have fallen of the elite ladder. There's no way, the Mavs can compete with them at this stage. Hope the Mavs gel soon coz this season can get ugly.

ItalianMobbstah187
11-07-2003, 09:16 AM
The Refs gave the Lakers this game....Kobe took freakin' 3 steps and they didn't call a travel....what a joke.

Big Boy Laroux
11-07-2003, 09:23 AM
it just seemed that the spurs couldn't get a break, especially at the end of regulation. shaq bulldozed nesterovic on every play.

Simon2
11-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
it just seemed that the spurs couldn't get a break, especially at the end of regulation. shaq bulldozed nesterovic on every play.

Also, Shaq had a flagrant on Manu that wasn't called. I guess some things never change.

Big Boy Laroux
11-07-2003, 09:51 AM
yes, i remember that play, simon. looked pretty flagrant to me.

Shaq Attack2
11-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by: ItalianMobbstah187
The Refs gave the Lakers this game....Kobe took freakin' 3 steps and they didn't call a travel....what a joke.

Hardly, you probably should have watched the entire game. Terrible calls on both sides. Like the Ginobli 4-point play, GP supposedly "pushing" Ginobli (who did a little acting of his own), etc.

kingrex
11-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Bad calls will occur in everygame and each side (depending which side you talk to) will claim their side was "robbed". All in all, it usually evens out.

Having said that, I didn't actually see the game, but from what I saw in the highlights, the Spurs have done a better job of getting their team together. It is very commendabe for them to play the Lakers the way they did without 2 of the most important members of that team. As Mavs fans, we can only hope that we can get that type of cohesiveness soon or we may face an uphill fight in the Midwest.

Big Boy Laroux
11-07-2003, 11:31 AM
good point kingrex. they seemed to have integrated their new guys (especially turkeyglue and mercer) quite well. nesterovic is still kind of a spare... but he seems to fit in ok as well. they didn't look in sync their first game, but they seem to be doing well since. and they're doing this without duncan and parker.

Shaq Attack2
11-07-2003, 12:50 PM
Manu played so well and so fast that, IMO, he would have been more effective than TD if TD had an average or even good night (like a 25-15-5 2 blocks game). Manu was incredible, he really did make up for TD last night.

Murphy3
11-07-2003, 12:55 PM
The officiating wasn't horribly biased one way or the other..it's just magnified so much when the officials make a huge mistake during the last few minutes of a game such as Kobe taking 12 steps before taking a shot.

kingrex
11-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2
Manu played so well and so fast that, IMO, he would have been more effective than TD if TD had an average or even good night (like a 25-15-5 2 blocks game). Manu was incredible, he really did make up for TD last night.

Man, I've become a huge Manu fan. I absolutely hate him when the Mavs play against the Spurs, but that only speaks further to how highly I think of his game.

The officiating wasn't horribly biased one way or the other..it's just magnified so much when the officials make a huge mistake during the last few minutes of a game such as Kobe taking 12 steps before taking a shot.

To support your point, this hasn't been the first time the Lakers have gotten these type of calls, so I know what your're saying.

ItalianMobbstah187
11-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Murph is right on the ball here....as ShaqAttack was saying, maybe the officiating was bad for both sides the entire game, but a mistake like that is magnified.

kingrex
11-07-2003, 05:29 PM
I'm hoping the Spurs will have a bit of a let down when they play the Mavs on Saturday. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Variant
11-07-2003, 06:30 PM
The biggest mistake? Bogus goaltending at halftime. Great block on a Lakers layup as the buzzer goes off. Refs call it goaltending... since it happened as the clock expired, they'll get the call right with replay right? Nope! Instead they decide there should be 0.4 seconds left on the clock and thus they throw the replay out.

Those two extra points woulda won the Spurs the game in regulation. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

WayOutWest
11-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by: kingrex
I'm hoping the Spurs will have a bit of a let down when they play the Mavs on Saturday. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I doubt that will be needed. The Spurs without Duncan have a terrible half court offense and a weak half court defense. There will no double teaming of Spurs players in the post so no open jumpers. Alot of the points will need to come from tansition and fast break offense. There half court set will be Manu trying to take his man off the dribble for a score or a drive and dish. This was very effective last night because the Lakers for the most part are still a half court team. That strategy will NOT work against the Mavs because the Mavs are at their best when the game is wide open and uptempo. Look for a blowout win against the Spurs.

Then again I thought the Lakers would wipe the floor with the Spurs last nigh. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Manu was a mad man, he was amazing. The Spurs played with alot of heart and deserved the win because the Lakers came in thinking the Spurs would roll over without TD. I would have liked to have seen the Lakers lose last night so they could get rid of that "light switch" mentality but if getting embarrised on your home court in the WCF on National TV doesn't get your butt in gear I doubt anything will.

Simon2
11-07-2003, 07:05 PM
I heard that Duncan wants to play on Saturday. Just wait, Nellie will say this game isn't that important.

TVI
11-07-2003, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by: ItalianMobbstah187

Hardly, you probably should have watched the entire game. Terrible calls on both sides. Like the Ginobli 4-point play, GP supposedly "pushing" Ginobli (who did a little acting of his own), etc.

I did watch the entire game. The refs will blow some calls. I can take that. But when the Lakers seem to get every break down the stretch, when it really counts, and the game is on the line, that's when I smell foul play.

The Spurs, the Bucks, and now the Hornets exposed a huge chink in the armour of the so-called fantastic four: they can't defend in transition.

TVI
11-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by: Simon2
I heard that Duncan wants to play on Saturday. Just wait, Nellie will say this game isn't that important.

He might want to play, but I guarantee you, Pop won't let him. Pop is extremely protective of his injured players. He'll never do anything which might jeopardize them in the long run.

Shaq Attack2
11-08-2003, 12:20 AM
I did watch the entire game. The refs will blow some calls. I can take that. But when the Lakers seem to get every break down the stretch, when it really counts, and the game is on the line, that's when I smell foul play.

Um, don't you mean one call? Because really, that was the only call the Lakers got down the stretch that could be considered crucial.

The Spurs, the Bucks, and now the Hornets exposed a huge chink in the armour of the so-called fantastic four: they can't defend in transition.

They still beat the Bucks and Spurs with a 75% Kobe and GP sick against the Spurs. Fatigue from tonight's Hornets game on the road less than 24 hours after the Spurs double OT game on the road was the primary reason the Lakers lost tonight. Yes, their defense overall is barely average and their transition D sucks right now. But it's 6 games into the season. I'll start to get worried if the same is true 60 games into the season.

TVI
11-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Um, don't you mean one call? Because really, that was the only call the Lakers got down the stretch that could be considered crucial.No, I'm referring to multiple games. The Bucks got screwed as well. The Lakers always seem to get that little extra help from the refs when it really counts. In a double overtime game, one blatently missed call can, and did make a huge difference in the outcome of the game.

There were crucial momentum killers that allowed the Lakers to stay in the game. I saw at least 2-3 occasions where Rasho's chest "fouled" Shaq's shoulder as Shaq was knocking him down like a bowling pin. Rasho's fourth foul, which he got by standing with his arms straight up in the air, was a momentum killer. The Spurs were pulling away from L.A. before that point. Rasho sits, and Willis gets 4 fouls in 6 minutes while Shaq continues to benefit from the b.s. favoritism (3 lane violations in one game) to help compensate for his crappy FT shooting. Laker fans will never admit it, but the rest of us know.

They still beat the Bucks and Spurs with a 75% Kobe and GP sick against the Spurs. Fatigue from tonight's Hornets game on the road less than 24 hours after the Spurs double OT game on the road was the primary reason the Lakers lost tonight. Yes, their defense overall is barely average and their transition D sucks right now. But it's 6 games into the season. I'll start to get worried if the same is true 60 games into the season.A 75% Kobe is worth 37 points? Damn! He's going to average 49.3 points a game this season? Payton sick? yea, he really looked sick to me. Sounds like one of Jordan's phantom "sicknesses," right before he goes off for 50.

BTW, did you notice that Duncan and Parker didn't play? Please, don't try to play some short-handed-less-than-full-strength card with me.

As far as I'm concerned, they didn't beat either team. They were pushed over by the refs because the league has so much invested in them this year. Stern is desperate to get his poster boys in the finals.

Shaq Attack2
11-08-2003, 07:26 PM
There were crucial momentum killers that allowed the Lakers to stay in the game. I saw at least 2-3 occasions where Rasho's chest "fouled" Shaq's shoulder as Shaq was knocking him down like a bowling pin.

Was that the same play Rasho used an illegal arm bar to hold Shaq back and then held him from trying to shoot? Oh yeah, since when can Rasho play defense, lol.

Sorry, I'll side with the refs on this one. Oh wait, they're paid off, right? i/expressions/rolleye.gif

Rasho sits, and Willis gets 4 fouls in 6 minutes while Shaq continues to benefit from the b.s. favoritism (3 lane violations in one game) to help compensate for his crappy FT shooting. Laker fans will never admit it, but the rest of us know.

I would admit it if it actually existed, but it doesn't. There were 3 lane violations, plain and simple. Go back through the tape if your eyes happened to gloss over that fact. Oh, and was that the same favoritism used during the WCSF last season? Boy, the refs really love those Lakers...

A 75% Kobe is worth 37 points? Damn! He's going to average 49.3 points a game this season?

No. It translates into more steals, blocks, better man on man/rotation defense, and some points. By the way, how many times did Kobe can for 35+ last season?

Payton sick? yea, he really looked sick to me. Sounds like one of Jordan's phantom "sicknesses," right before he goes off for 50.

The "He's a liar!" line gets older and older when your evidence amounts to nothing. It was GP's worst game of the season up to that point defensively and offensively, but since you probably haven't watched many Lakers games this year I'm sure you didn't notice.

BTW, did you notice that Duncan and Parker didn't play? Please, don't try to play some short-handed-less-than-full-strength card with me.

GP was sick with the flu and Kobe's knee was (and still is) healing, all while trying to get back in shape after a harrowing summer of surgery and legal troubles. If you would like to do some investigative work to prove these things wrong, go ahead. But for now, you're just another Laker hater that can't admit cold hard reality.

As far as I'm concerned, they didn't beat either team. They were pushed over by the refs because the league has so much invested in them this year. Stern is desperate to get his poster boys in the finals.

I know man, just like last year when the Lakers won the title!

Wake me up when you have something substantive to say......

Big Boy Laroux
11-10-2003, 12:48 PM
ok, you mentioned the bucks game. i didn't see the whole game, but that play they kept showing on highlights of payton dishing to kobe who dishes to shaq for the dunk (on the break).

they called a foul on that play! i had to watch it over and over again on ESPN Motion, and i still couldn't see any contact!

ok, back to the spurs game talk.