PDA

View Full Version : Washington Mavericks

djb
02-24-2001, 10:05 PM
Our boys in Washington played pretty damn well tonight against the Raptors. I wish them well in DC i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Laettner - 18pts (6-11), 5rebs, 1ast, 4sts and 4TO in 27mins
Alexander - 13pts (6-13), 4rebs, 1st and 2TO in 23mins
Vaught - 0pts (0-2), 4rebs, 1ast and 1TO in 6mins
Davis - 2pts (0-3), 2rebs, 4asts and 1TO in 14mins

LonestarROB
02-24-2001, 10:11 PM
It's only a matter of time before Alexander starts lighting it up big time.

djb
02-24-2001, 10:13 PM
Well I think we all expected him to eventually break out, but just not in Dallas where he really wasn't necessary. However, if for some reason Finley decides not to re-sign, then we can start kicking ourselves in the ass.

LonestarROB
02-25-2001, 10:06 PM
Second game stats.

Christian Laettner 19pts(4-9), 10reb, 28mins
Alexander 2pts( 0-11 ), 4reb, 21mins
Vaught 10pts(4-5), 4reb, 9mins

djb
02-26-2001, 12:01 AM
I'm glad Vaught's finally getting some mins, and Laettner seems to be filling in just fine as Howard's replacement. Good for them! As for Alexander..OUCH!

djb
02-27-2001, 01:14 PM
The Washington Post has an insightful article on the former Mavs' reactions to the trade. Here's a quick copy/paste:

Wizards Work on Transition
Personnel Moves Make Adjustments Tough All Around

By Steve Wyche
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 27, 2001; Page D05

MIAMI, Feb. 26 -- The fallout from the eight-player trade that sent Juwan Howard, Calvin Booth and Obinna Ekezie from the Washington Wizards to the Dallas Mavericks for five players Thursday has left the locker room in emotional disarray.

The newcomers -- forwards Christian Laettner and Loy Vaught and guards Courtney Alexander and Hubert Davis -- have gone from playing for one of the NBA's better teams, which is all but a lock to make the playoffs, to a team with the second-worst record (13-44) in the NBA. The Wizards who stayed put at the time of Thursday's deal saw six teammates jettisoned -- Gerard King, Felipe Lopez and Mike Smith were released in the wake of the trade -- drastically altering whatever team chemistry that had been established.

Since the trade, Washington has lost twice. As disjointed as things have been on the court, they may be even more fractured away from it.

"I've never seen anything like this in my seven years in the NBA," forward Michael Smith said. "You trade three guys and release three others, that's basically half your team. It's frustrating for us and the new guys. It's got to be frustrating for the coaching staff. It's really tough. Nobody's going to give up. We've still got 25 games left, so all we can do is play hard for the remainder of the season."

Vaught and Laettner, both of whom were with Detroit last season before going to the Mavericks in offseason moves, said this latest trade reminded them how cold business in the NBA can be.

"It's a little bit upsetting to know that you were with a great bunch of guys who were playing good basketball and everybody, to a man, was focused on making it to the playoffs," Vaught said. "Not just making it to the playoffs but having a good long run in the playoffs. . . .

"Still, there's no way not to prejudge. It's all right here on paper. It's a poor team. They're in the cellar of the NBA. You have to call a spade a spade. The team has performed poorly to this point. You just have to try to finish it out on a positive note and give them something to build on and look forward to for next season."

Everyone appears to be in an awkward position.

Some of the players with expiring contracts -- or those who face buyouts -- are trying to finish strong but have to be thinking about showcasing themselves for other teams since they don't know if they will be back next season.

Smith and veteran guard Mitch Richmond can be bought out of their contracts at the end of the season for $250,000 and $10 million, respectively. Laettner's contract expires at season's end, as does forward Popeye Jones's.

Laettner, who has scored season highs of 18 and 19 points since coming to the Wizards, said the immediate transition could be difficult for all parties.

"The important thing is we have to get a feel for playing with [Richard] Hamilton and [Chris] Whitney and with Mitch and Jahidi [White]," Laettner said. "I like the way those guys play. Everyone's got a good attitude. I'm kind of surprised how good everyone's attitude is on this team when they only have 13 wins."

Alexander, who led the nation in scoring last season as a senior at Fresno State, welcomed the trade. He was stuck behind all-star swingman Michael Finley and figures he finally will get the chance to showcase his game. He scored 13 points in his Wizards' debut but missed all 11 shots he took in Sunday's 101-91 loss at New Jersey.

"It's time to play now," Alexander said. "There's still some learning to do but hopefully I can take that learning and turn it into some production on the floor."

Coach Leonard Hamilton has to familiarize the new players to his system while maintaining relationships with players with the team since the start of the season.

"We're in an unusual situation now," Hamilton said. "It's important that we find a way to mesh new players. . . . I feel we have to give our new players an opportunity to show what they're capable of doing, but I also need to try to find the right balance of not upsetting what little bit of chemistry we've already developed."

Jones said, with all that has happened, everyone is in uncharted territory.

"I've never been in a situation like this and I don't think anybody else has," Jones said. "There's no formula for situations like this."

2001 The Washington Post Company

Source: Wizards Work on Transition (http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/sports/leaguesandsports/nba/19992000/washingtonwizards/A59371-2001Feb26.html)

dallmav
02-27-2001, 06:46 PM
It looks pretty damn ugly in washington to me. Im glad that christian has been playing well. Loy is getting to play also instead of stuck on the end of a bench. As for alexander, maybe his o for 11 will bring his big head back down to earth and realize that he neeeds a different attitude and a little bit of time in a nba uniform before he can become the man.

inter1488
06-27-2004, 02:28 PM
we eventually get laetner

inter1488
06-27-2004, 02:29 PM
dunno if we will use him tho

inter1488
06-27-2004, 02:29 PM
this is fun

dude1394
06-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Speaking of that, any comments from laettner??

aexchange
06-27-2004, 03:44 PM
quit bumping up old topics and spewing a bunch of nothing a$sclown.

this is your final warning, before we summarily dismiss you.