PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Murray has taken over!!!!!!!

Nash13
11-11-2003, 10:02 PM
29pts 6rbs 8ast including a game winner against the Wolves. averaging 24ppg this season so far. Best player out of Raleigh, NC.

Evil, technically, i called for his success before you did.

Jamisonite
11-11-2003, 10:07 PM
he is playing amazing...but what happens when Ray Allen comes back?

Nash13
11-11-2003, 10:11 PM
That's a good question and a big problem for Western Conference teams. If Allen plays normal and Murray plays the way he's playing, this may be one of the best back courts in the league if you add Barry and Lewis.

Jamisonite
11-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Is murry a point or a 2?

Evilmav2
11-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
Is murry a point or a 2?

It doesn't matter, because whatever you call him, he is the Future...

dirno2000
11-12-2003, 12:39 AM
What's his story? How did he wind up at a D-2 school?

Unless he can play the point he's going to get squeezed for minutes. You gotta play Jesus and the 2 and Rashard at the 3. Looks like he's in the same situation he was in in Mil.

Murphy3
11-12-2003, 07:14 AM
after he hit the game winning buzzer beater, he didn't even crack a smile as his teammates mobbed him.

ItalianMobbstah187
11-12-2003, 07:32 AM
This guy is sick man....really fun to watch!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

kingrex
11-12-2003, 09:01 AM
I like this guy. He works hard on the court, he's got crazy skills and when he cooly hit that winning shot at the end, he acted like he'd been there before. Too cool cats at the same positon for the sonics: Allen & Murray are both shooting guards. The future is bright in Seattle.

madape
11-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Ronald Murry is shocking me at this very moment. I don't know if he's the real deal quite yet, but he looks damn good early for the sonics. Of course, he does have the advantage of playing with Brent Barry.

Tony tha Mavs fan
11-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Murray is playing great, looks like he can really help that Sonics team

Lvubun1
11-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Lets give him atleast to the all-star break before we call him the "Future". How many time has somebody been called the Future only to be nothing but the "Future" cart-pusher at Sam's Club. Last week I actually saw Harold "Baby Jordan" Minor working at Arby's, dude makes a mean Arby-Q. "Do you want my autograph? Nah man I just want some more Horsey sauce."

Evilmav2
11-12-2003, 03:08 PM
http://www.westcoastfamilies.com/assets/images/sunglasses.jpg
Ronald Murray: The Future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...

MavsFanatik33
11-12-2003, 03:09 PM
I haven't even seen this guy play yet, I need to check it out....

Lvubun1
11-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Ok, if he is working at Del Taco in a couple of years I will 'bump this.

Evilmav2
11-13-2003, 04:09 AM
After tonight's Seattle win over the Bucks, Ronald Murray and Rashard Lewis are now tied as being the 4th highest scorers in the NBA, both averaging a twinkied 24.6 points per game...

jayC
11-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Hes the 42nd pick by the Bucks he was just a throw in part of the GP deal.

I think he will be a super sub when allen comes back.

11-14-2003, 11:15 AM
The only remaining question to me is: who's takin home the MIP trophy: Zach Randolph or Ronald Murray? I guess Randolph's gonna make it...

kingrex
11-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by: #41
The only remaining question to me is: who's takin home the MIP trophy: Zach Randolph or Ronald Murray? I guess Randolph's gonna make it...

Randolph will be in the running for sure, but my money is on Vin Baker for MIP (that is if he doesn't fall off the wagon).

Murray is the real deal, but he hasn't played long enough to get MIP (IMO).

Nash13
11-14-2003, 07:25 PM
Kingrex, neither has Randolph.

Evilmav2
11-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Tonight in a loss to Indiana, Ronald Murray broke his impressive streak of 20+ scoring games, but he was still the highest scorer on his team with 16 points...

MavKikiNYC
11-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Trade Throw-In Is Sonics' Surprise
By CHRIS BROUSSARD

Published: November 16, 2003

Wally Walker and Rick Sund had just traded Gary Payton, perhaps the greatest player in Seattle SuperSonics history, and they were under siege. With fans in near-revolt, Sund, the club's general manager, was reluctant to answer his cellphone, even as Seattle was demolishing their trade partner, Milwaukee, in a game the day after the deal. But when a Milwaukee area code flashed on the caller ID, Sund, figuring he was safe, answered. This is what he heard: "Rick, it's Flip. We're kicking their tails."

Sund's first thought was "Who in the world is Flip?" When he realized Flip was Ronald Murray, a throw-in in the Gary Payton-for-Ray Allen trade, Sund could not help but marvel at Murray's audacity.

Well, the same self-assurance that led Murray to treat his new general manager like a homeboy before his first day on the job is on display throughout the National Basketball Association. And like Sund, everyone is marveling.

Exuding the boldness of a veteran, ignoring his lack of credentials and mocking the notion of an adjustment period, the 24-year-old Murray has become the biggest surprise of this young season.

Starting in place of the injured Allen, Murray, a 6-foot-4-inch guard, headed into last night's game at Chicago averaging 22.7 points, 4.7 rebounds and 4 assists and shooting 48.8 percent from the field. Behind his stunning emergence, the Sonics had a 5-2 record.

The comparisons are flying. Sund has likened Murray to Vinnie Johnson. His teammate, Jerome James, said Murray is "Joe Dumars all over again," and his coach, Nate McMillan, compared him to Sam Cassell, whom Murray played behind way behind last season in Milwaukee.

In Tuesday's 89-87 victory over Minnesota, Murray was better than Cassell, recording career highs of 29 points and 8 assists and hitting the game-winning jump shot over Latrell Sprewell at the buzzer.

Walker, the Sonics' president, who wears an ear-to-ear grin these days, is not about to pat himself on the back for what may be the best find of the season.

"It's good to be lucky sometimes," Walker said in a recent telephone conversation. "He was pretty much thrown in as a contract to make the deal work. We had scouted him out of college and we liked him, but to say that we had counted on him doing this would not be close to the truth."

When Allen returns in December from ankle surgery, it will most likely be Brent Barry, not Murray, who goes to the bench. Murray is not a true point guard or a shooting guard, but a combination of both. Quick and strongly built at 190 pounds, one of his greatest strengths is penetrating and drawing fouls. He entered the Indiana contest averaging seven free-throw attempts a game. Walker is not ready to predict that Murray will continue to average 20 or more points this season, but he does believe he is more than a one-month wonder.

"He's proven to us that he's got great focus, confidence and talent, so he has all the makings to make this a huge breakout season," Walker said. "Seeing what he's doing now, it's hard not to project him having a long productive career."

Murray, who got his nickname because of his fondness for gymnastics as a youngster, took the long route to the N.B.A. He was a big scorer at Strawberry Mansion High School in Philadelphia, attracting the attention of colleges such as Kentucky and St. Joseph's. But after being academically ineligible for the first half of his senior season and scoring low on his Scholastic Assessment Tests, Murray ended up at Meridian Community College in Mississippi.

He averaged 19 points there over two seasons, but he was still behind academically. So he spent one year studying at Philadelphia Community College, where he played pickup basketball. Murray then went to Shaw University, an N.C.A.A. Division II college in North Carolina, to play for Joel Hopkins, who had coached Tracy McGrady at Mount Zion Christian Academy.

Clearly a step above his peers, Murray averaged 23 points in his two seasons at Shaw, earning the Division II national player of the year award as a senior. He impressed scouts in the 2002 predraft camps at Portsmouth, Va., and Chicago and was taken in the second round (42nd over all).

The Bucks saw something they liked in Murray because they gave him a three-year deal, but when they parted with him in February, they had few reservations.

Seattle had no idea of the talent it had, and Murray, on the injured list most of his rookie season, played only 62 minutes last season. But last summer in Los Angeles, Murray turned heads by averaging 22.9 points a game for the Sonics' summer league team.

"That's when we first said, `This guy is definitely an N.B.A. player,' " Walker said. "He dominated every matchup."

Murray's upbringing in a tough North Philadelphia neighborhood combined with his winding road to the league have given him a mental toughness that has allowed him to already become, in many ways, one of the Sonics' leaders.

"He's quietly confident," Walker said. "He knows who he is. He's real focused and he's not going to be deterred from his goals. He commands respect because of the way he carries himself. He has a kind of `Don't-mess-with-me' body language on the court. It's hard to believe he's a second-year player when you're around him."

Or when you're guarding him.

FilthyFinMavs
11-16-2003, 10:07 AM
What's really funny is that I don't remember hearing him even being in the trade. This 22 points a game is going to go down however while the season progresses. Especially being in the Western Conference.

FilthyFinMavs
11-16-2003, 10:09 AM
BTW, where does Ray Allen fit?

3. Rashard
4. Murray
5. Barry

Do they try and start Rashard at the 4 and Allen at the 3?

MavKikiNYC
11-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Murray to the 1
Allen to the 2
Rashard to the 3

Barry off the bench.

Evilmav2
11-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Last night in winning effort against the Bulls, Ronald scored 26 points on 10-21 shooting, while passing out 7 assists, grabbing 5 rebounds, and nabbing 4 steals...

http://www.dallasnews.com/img/10-02/1012mavs.jpg
Who can stop this man?

kingrex
11-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by: Nash13
Kingrex, neither has Randolph.

True, but at least he logged some playoff minutes.

FilthyFinMavs
11-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Murray to the 1
Allen to the 2
Rashard to the 3

Barry off the bench.

Excuse me, I was thinking that Murray was a 2 this whole time but I have noticed that he is racking up some assists as if he is a 1.

kingrex
11-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs

Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Murray to the 1
Allen to the 2
Rashard to the 3

Barry off the bench.

Excuse me, I was thinking that Murray was a 2 this whole time but I have noticed that he is racking up some assists as if he is a 1.

Murray is a 2, but Kiki is just proposing a starting lineup that has both Allen and Murray on it. I think?

arsenalth9
11-17-2003, 04:01 PM
Murray is playing great, but let's see if he actually keeps it up for 82 games.

Evilmav2
11-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Murray's numbers will go down when Ray Allen returns, but after watching him for the last few games, I will be amazed if he just fades back into obscurity. The guy plays with supreme confidence and aggressiveness, and I will be shocked if he turns out to be a flash in the pan.

Ronald Murray has arrived, and just based on what I have seen of his game, I think he is going to be around for a long, long time to come...

Evilmav2
11-19-2003, 01:17 AM
Tonight in a losing effort against the Heat, Ron went off for 31 points, 3 assists, and 3 steals.

Jamisonite
11-19-2003, 10:40 AM
No way he comes off the bench when Allen comes back. Barry will be the 6th man. Allen can handle the ball

dirno2000
11-19-2003, 11:10 AM
They may try that, but you need a point guard. Loook at our offense when we play Delk instead of Nash. Delk can dribble good enough, but he's not a point. They just need to bring Murry off the bench as instant offense. Ray Allen at PG won't work.

Scoobay
01-09-2004, 11:23 PM
what happened to this guy? he was tearing it up and now he's barely getting 20 something minutes a game and not doing much. haven't really seen him play but obviously barry wasn't the one who headed to the bench when Allen came back. anyone get to see him play?

mavsfanforever
01-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by: Scoobay
what happened to this guy? he was tearing it up and now he's barely getting 20 something minutes a game and not doing much. haven't really seen him play but obviously barry wasn't the one who headed to the bench when Allen came back. anyone get to see him play?

Ofcourse, Allen's coming back from injury makes this guy go to the bench. Sonics traded Glove to get Ray Allen. Do you think they will let Allen come from the bench for Murray. Barry is like finley for mavs. He is a team leader.

MavKikiNYC
01-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Billy Ray Bates, 2004.

Scoobay
01-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever

Originally posted by: Scoobay

Ofcourse, Allen's coming back from injury makes this guy go to the bench. Sonics traded Glove to get Ray Allen. Do you think they will let Allen come from the bench for Murray. Barry is like finley for mavs. He is a team leader.

yes but just from box score at least, he's not playing that well even in time off the bench. i'd think he'd be at least somewhat productive or a good 3rd guard kinda thing but he's not doing much. Richie Frahm goes nuts one game for 30 something too and then disappears, but murray had consistent 20+ pts scoring as a starter and then dissolves into nothing.

Evilmav2
01-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Ron will be back. He just needs to hurry up and get traded to Atlanta...