PDA

View Full Version : Bonzi got suspended for two games for acting up during Mavs/Blazers game

DNNF
11-18-2003, 04:20 PM
The Portland Trail Blazers have suspended guard Bonzi Wells for two games without pay for conduct detrimental to the team and taken away his title as co-captain. The penalties are a result of Wells’ most recent actions during the third period of last night’s 105-98 loss at Dallas.

“Maurice and I spoke today,” said Blazers President Steve Patterson. “Because of what took place at last night’s game and prior similar actions, the franchise has decided to suspend Bonzi for two games. Furthermore, we have stripped him of his title of co-captain."

“We have said all along that we expect our players to conduct themselves in a responsible and professional manner both on and off the court. Respect for the fans and fellow employees is essential conduct for all members of the Portland Trail Blazers. We will hold players responsible for their behavior and we believe this is the appropriate course of action at this time. Further violations will result in stiffer penalties.”

---------

I'm wondering what the hell happened during that game??

kingrex
11-18-2003, 04:22 PM
Who was it that wanted a Finley/Jamison for Bonzi/Rasheed trade again?

DNNF
11-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Rather have Zach Randolph. That guy will be an all-star next year.

kingrex
11-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by: DNNF
Rather have Zach Randolph. That guy will be an all-star next year.

Moreover, he's still young and shows so many moves under the basket. No wonder they're building around this guy.

Max Power
11-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Bonzi is a punk - two games is FAAAR too easy of a punishment.

kingrex
11-18-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by: Max Power
Bonzi is a punk - two games is FAAAR too easy of a punishment.

I can't think of an NBA player who has gotten the punishment they deserved.

ItalianMobbstah187
11-18-2003, 05:12 PM
next year? I think Randolph will be an All-Star this season!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

thewillis12
11-18-2003, 05:14 PM
i dont get it. what did bonzi do??

thewillis12
11-18-2003, 05:14 PM

kingrex
11-18-2003, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty sure it wasn't in game. I bet it was on the sideline or at one of their coaches. Either way, the guy has zero maturity. He acts like a child.

Max Power
11-18-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by: thewillis12

Words fell Blazers in loss

Bonzi Wells is benched after cursing at coach Maurice Cheeks, and Portland unravels down the stretch against Dallas

11/18/03
JASON QUICK

DALLAS -- It was too good to be true for the Trail Blazers on Monday . . . a 14-point lead in the third quarter against Dallas . . . Rasheed Wallace playing like an All-Star . . . Zach Randolph putting up huge numbers . . . then this:
From Our Advertiser

Bonzi Wells cusses out coach Maurice Cheeks on the court.

The aftermath?

Wells was done for the game, the Blazers' lead soon was done, and eventually the Blazers were done -- 105-98 -- despite remarkable performances from Wallace (31 points, eight rebounds) and Randolph (25 points, 19 rebounds).

Wells was exiled to the bench for the final 16:17 of the game, but that might be just the start of the consequences, which certainly will result in a fine and could lead to a suspension by the team.

"I haven't decided what is going to happen, but something will happen," Cheeks said. "It's ridiculous. Just ridiculous."

Wells, who had 14 points on 7 of 13 shooting before being benched, declined to comment after the game.

Wells' benching was felt dearly down the stretch as the Blazers had to turn to rookie Matt Carroll and second-year player Qyntel Woods. Carroll hit a three-pointer during Wells' benching and Woods had two rebounds and a steal, but Wells' absence clearly was a pivotal -- and perhaps game-breaking -- factor in the Mavericks' torrid comeback.

"For the rest of the players on the team . . . I mean, we had a nice flow going, a nice basketball game going . . . and that's what is disappointing," Cheeks said while having trouble finding his words.

The fallout began with the Blazers leading 67-53 with 6:22 left in the third quarter. After Steve Nash -- who had a triple double with 14 points, 12 assists and 10 rebounds -- made a basket, Wells took the ball out of bounds and hurled a long pass past midcourt that wasn't anywhere near a teammate.

The pass was intercepted by Michael Finley, who passed ahead to Nash, who hit a three-pointer, causing Cheeks to angrily call a timeout.

Three possessions later, Wells hoisted an ill-advised 22-footer that was off, prompting Cheeks to call to the bench for Carroll.

While walking off the court to the bench, Wells said something to Cheeks, but it didn't stop there. He continued using profanity, essentially telling Cheeks it was messed up that the coach was taking him out of the game. As the game resumed, Wells continued to stand on the sideline about eight feet from Cheeks, while whipping his hand at Cheeks and using the word "jumper" and several cuss words.

As Wells sat down, Cheeks darted out of his seat, walked down the sideline and pointed in Wells' face while speaking sharply.

When asked to confirm that Wells had directed profanity at Cheeks, the coach said "he used something else first. I won't tell you what, but he said something else first. I don't know what else he said after that. I didn't even focus on that because I said something to him."

When asked if he told Wells that he was benched for the rest of the game, Cheeks said "it was something to that effect."

The Blazers led 71-66 when Wells was disciplined, and a little more than four minutes later, the lead was gone.

It was another in a growing list of behavioral problems with Wells, who was fined $10,000 two weeks ago for flipping off fans at the Rose Garden. Among his transgressions was a one-game suspension last season for cussing out Cheeks during a March practice.

"He's supposed to be one of the captains," Cheeks said. "I don't get it. I just don't get it."

Cheeks said he did not speak to Wells after the game and that he would not speak to him on Monday night's plane ride home to Portland.

"I'll let him think about it," Cheeks said.

Cheeks said he will meet with general manager John Nash this morning and that the two will decide their course of action after the meeting, probably before today's 11 a.m. practice.

Either way, it's another distraction for the Blazers, and this one came at the price of an important game against a playoff-caliber team.

"It hurt us," Jeff McInnis said. "I was on the bench when it happened, and I just tried to tell Bonzi that he has to keep his head up. We needed him to finish that game. We played hard building that lead, but it's hard when someone makes that kind of mistake."

It was a "mistake" that left Wells' teammates shaking their heads after playing perhaps their best game of the season.

"Sometimes Bonzi lets his frustration get the best of him," Dale Davis said. "But we can't afford not to have him in there. He's a good part of our team."

Jason Quick: 503-221-4372; jasonquick@news.oregonian.com

kingrex
11-18-2003, 05:32 PM
I don't blame Cheeks. He had to assert his authority on that team or else it would be his job. Unfortunately, it might mean his job anyway, but al least he stood up for himself.

Bonzi could be a great player, but unless he straightens up, he'll be out of this league sooner than a Jordan comeback. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

DNNF
11-18-2003, 05:42 PM
If cheek didn't do what he did with Bonzi, the jailblazers will step all over him and start smoking some weed on the court while playing i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

sike
11-18-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by: kingrex

I was one of the many who agreed with this proposal....maybe the only one who has the balls to say it...

and call me crazy, but i might still do it if we could move Bonzi on somewhere else....but who wants him?...so much talent...so little brain..i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Simon2
11-18-2003, 05:56 PM
I can just see it, Nellie asking Bonzi to come off the bench. That would be a laugher.

Big Boy Laroux
11-18-2003, 06:15 PM
hell, if cheeks is fired, it would be an injustice. this is definitely one case where you need to be rid of the players before the coach.

sike
11-18-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
hell, if cheeks is fired, it would be an injustice. this is definitely one case where you need to be rid of the players before the coach.

amen and amen to the big boy from Louisiana

FilthyFinMavs
11-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by: ItalianMobbstah187
next year? I think Randolph will be an All-Star this season!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

For who? He has to beat out Dirk, Garnett, and TD for those honors unless Dirk goes in as center.

BTW, who in the hell listed him as co captain the first place? What was that guy thinking or did he just list his self as co captain? Wouldn't suprise me.

bernardos70
11-18-2003, 06:53 PM
I feel sorry for Maurice Cheeks, he seems to be a great person. How did Portland get so many idiots in a single team? It's almost as if they were trying.Who arrived first in Portland, Rasheed? I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one influencing Wells as well as others. However they should know better than to act like that.

rakesh.s
11-18-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs

Originally posted by: ItalianMobbstah187

For who? He has to beat out Dirk, Garnett, and TD for those honors unless Dirk goes in as center.

BTW, who in the hell listed him as co captain the first place? What was that guy thinking or did he just list his self as co captain? Wouldn't suprise me.

the question is....is dirk playing better than randolph right now? randolph is tearing it up in the paint...the only thing he doesn't have is a 3 pt shot

garnett and duncan are locks just because they can play D and rebound in addition to the 20 ppg

but dirk will probably get in anyway due to the fans voting

kingrex
11-18-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs

I believe Cheeks put Bonzi as co-captain hoping he would grow up with the new responsibility. It was a calculated risk that has now backfired on him.

mary
11-18-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by: sike

Originally posted by: kingrex

I was one of the many who agreed with this proposal....maybe the only one who has the balls to say it...

and call me crazy, but i might still do it if we could move Bonzi on somewhere else....but who wants him?...so much talent...so little brain..i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Sike, I didn't think the trade was that bad of an idea, but I did think it was way too early in the season to shake up the team again.

And I definitely don't have any of those whadyacall...balls
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

MavsFanatik33
11-18-2003, 10:00 PM
What an idiot, cussing out his own coach... the suspension would not just be 2 games if a Maverick would have done it. He's not a leader, so he shouldn't be a co-captain anyways. This Blazer team seems like they will never clean up. The only decent one on it is the coach, poor guy got a extension on his contract.

LRB
11-19-2003, 12:27 AM
Even the dipsticks call Bonzi a dipstick. What a moron. He's so lucky is a spoiled professional athelete who makes millions playing a kids game and has a contract that prevents him from being fired for acts that would send you or I to the unemployment office and probably a denial of benefits to boot.

Big Boy Laroux
11-19-2003, 10:42 AM
i think you're right kingrex. they gave him the co-captaincy hoping it would force him to mature and grow into the role.

Shaq Attack2
11-19-2003, 11:10 AM
I usually don't call other teams names, but Jail Blazers is truly fitting. I despise this team's off court actions. They're a very good team, especially with Randolf showing that he can be a superstar some day, but they need to get rid of Wallace (while getting a couple elite players in return of course) and rebuild around Randolf ASAP.