PDA

View Full Version : MAVS/RAPTORS TRADE SAID TO GO DOWN...

bigdaddy
11-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Antonio Davis

for

Jamison
Delk

Apparently this was reported on ESPN TV.

Evilmav2
11-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Only in the fondest dreams of Toronto fans... There is no way this is going to happen.

grndmstr_c
11-21-2003, 07:24 PM
Outside of the fact that this is ridiculous, I've been watching ESPN for about the past 2.5 hours and have heard nothing of the sort.

MavKikiNYC
11-21-2003, 07:27 PM
And shouldn't this be in the rumored trades thread?

And anticipating this thread's relocation, I will say that Jamison/Delk makes no sense now given the Jalen Rose trade.

I'd send Fortson and Delk, though. And whatever salary fodder needed to be included.

Murphy3
11-21-2003, 07:28 PM
it was apparently reported on ESPN? who apparently reported it?

bigdaddy
11-21-2003, 07:33 PM
A human

Murphy3
11-21-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by: bigdaddy
A human

bigdaddy, don't be a smart@ss. I'm just curious as to 'who' reported this.

bigdaddy
11-21-2003, 07:46 PM
it's all over two other boards..saying people in toronto is reporting it..i didn't say it has happened..but is said to...

check ESPN message boards..and insidehoops

Murphy3
11-21-2003, 07:48 PM
cool..thanks
see, that wasn't too hard, was it?
i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Rhylan
11-21-2003, 07:56 PM
stoopidest trade ever, not involving charlie ward.

Tyler
11-21-2003, 08:17 PM
That deal is illegal as reported. Since Delk was only recently acquired, he can't be dealt for a while longer -- late December, I believe.

Simon2
11-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Lol! They wish.

bigdaddy
11-21-2003, 08:33 PM
it's happening

Rhylan
11-21-2003, 08:37 PM
bigdaddy, cite some sources, or can it.

bigdaddy
11-21-2003, 08:39 PM
realgm.com

Simon2
11-21-2003, 08:56 PM
OK. here it is:

Dallas trades: SF Antawn Jamison (12.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 26.6 minutes)
PG Tony Delk (10.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 25.1 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF Antonio Davis (7.7 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 1.1 apg in 34.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -15.3 ppg, -0.5 rpg, and -1.5 apg.

Toronto trades: PF Antonio Davis (7.7 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 1.1 apg in 34.9 minutes)
Toronto receives: SF Antawn Jamison (12.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 12 games)
PG Tony Delk (10.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 7 games)
Change in team outlook: +15.3 ppg, +0.5 rpg, and +1.5 apg.

TRADE DECLINED

bigdaddy
11-21-2003, 09:02 PM
that might not even be the actual deal....check realgm message boards

Bayliss
11-21-2003, 09:06 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap.php

Not confirming this trade nor denying it. But realgm is reporting it. Both trades by the Raptors. Take it for what it's worth. If it actually does happen it can only mean one thing: Nelson realizes that Dirk at center is not feasible.

Simon2
11-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by: bigdaddy
that might not even be the actual deal....check realgm message boards

That's the deal they are reporting. It won't happen.

f l u r p
11-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Change in team outlook: -4.6 ppg, +3.8 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

Change in team outlook: +4.6 ppg, -3.8 rpg, and +0.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

The other part of the trade is Delk for Eric Montross. Montross is retired, but the Raps didn't renounce his rights. Therefore, he can be traded. The numbers work. Also, Delk can't be included in a multi-player deal until mid-december due to his recently traded status. However, he can be dealt by himself.

Still, I don't like this trade, especially if Delk goes. Without Jamison, we need Delk to score off the bench. With both gone, we're counting on Eddie? to score as the sixth man.

Simon2
11-21-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by: f l u r p
Change in team outlook: -4.6 ppg, +3.8 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

Change in team outlook: +4.6 ppg, -3.8 rpg, and +0.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

The other part of the trade is Delk for Eric Montross. Montross is retired, but the Raps didn't renounce his rights. Therefore, he can be traded. The numbers work. Also, Delk can't be included in a multi-player deal until mid-december due to his recently traded status. However, he can be dealt by himself.

Still, I don't like this trade, especially if Delk goes. Without Jamison, we need Delk to score off the bench. With both gone, we're counting on Eddie? to score as the sixth man.

No way Mavs do that.

bogey
11-21-2003, 09:22 PM
I want the last two minutes of my life that I spent reading this worthless made up shit back.

Rhylan
11-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Davis for Jamison is just a clear, clear downgrade. And you don't even gain much in the way of salary relief. Davis was resigned in the summer of 2001. Jamison was resigned in the fall of 2001, for a contract that began the next year. SO.. you've only got one year of savings there. Ain't happening.

Tony tha Mavs fan
11-21-2003, 09:34 PM
I don't see why Dallas would do that trade, unless they get either a first round pick or vince carter in return. Don't get me wrong, i think Antonio Davis is a talented big man, but is he really worth Jamison AND Delk?

Murphy3
11-21-2003, 09:47 PM
the only way they mavs make the trade is if they're absolutely sold on Walker as the SF and the Mavs think they are 20-25 minutes of pretty good interior defense away from winning the title (of course, that's added to what Bradley brings)..

do I think the deal will happen? No, but I do believe that if the Mavs are discussing a deal similar to this that they are at least on the right track...not saying that this is the right move..just that the thinking behind it is sound in theory.

that is, unless they don't believe that the current mix is the ticket to winning the title. Personally, I'm not sold on having 5 offensive weapons of this magnitude on the same team. However, I'm not convinced that it won't work either. More time is needed to draw any definitive conclusions IMO

Evilmav2
11-21-2003, 09:57 PM
This isn't going to happen. Dallas always ends up being in the thick of trade talk whenever anything is about to go down, and this is probably because Donnie and Cuban always try to get involved with any ongoing trade talks around the league.

I am sure we have been sounding out the Bulls and the the Raptors, but I will be amazed if we have put anybody on the table but Tariq Abdul Wahad, Eduardo Najera, and cash or second rounders. The only way Walker or Jamison would be in the conversation (and neither can actually be traded until 60 have elapsed from the previous trades) would be if the Raptors were contemplating dealing Vince Carter...

f l u r p
11-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Rhylan, it's two years and about 30 million dollars difference

Davis has 3 years left at like 37 mill
Jamison has 5 years and like 70 mill

Financially it's a smart move. Mavs have got to start getting things under control. Nash is up now. Dirk has 4 more years before he gets his player option. They're tied to Finley's monster contract for 5! more years.

Still, Im in the "no" category on this trade, but I recognize that it has some appeal.

I'm actually advocating for keeping Jamison and moving Walker. He has more value and absolutely no touch. Every time he gets the ball I hold my breath. I love his passing, but fires em up faster than a tennis ball cannon.

Max Power
11-21-2003, 10:20 PM
I hope this trade doesn't happen. I can't understand why we would overpay so drastically for Davis.

LRB
11-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by: Max Power
I hope this trade doesn't happen. I can't understand why we would overpay so drastically for Davis.

MP I agree that giving up Jamison seems too expensive just to get Davis. Davis doesn't have that many playing years left either.

Evilmav2
11-21-2003, 10:25 PM
If there is thing that Cuban and Donnie never, ever, ever, ever do, is make a deal where we give up an inordinantly high amount of talent to fill some percieved need on the team.

We didn't overpay for Brian Grant, or Dikembe Mutumbo, or Theo Ratliff, and we sure as heck aren't going to do it for Antonio Davis.

The only way either Twan or Toine are on the table, is if Vince Carter is also a part of the discussion.

Murphy3
11-21-2003, 10:26 PM
Like I said, I don't think that this trade will by any means go through. However, what would be a reason why the Mavs would look to make a move with Jamison other than trying to bring in a low post defender?

LRB
11-21-2003, 10:27 PM
BTW doesn't it seem funny how these rumors seem to surface on the weekend when we all know they can't be confirmed until Monday. Makes me think some dumb@$$ just pulled this out of his @$$ and started saying it alot. Say it enough times and the stupid media will pick it up and believe anything. This just looks like something that was created out of thin air like the Bonzi/Rasheed trade for Jamison/Fin.

f l u r p
11-21-2003, 10:30 PM
>>> I can't understand why we would overpay so drastically for Davis. <<<

See Jamison
See Walker
See Finley
See TAW
See LaFrentz
See Eschmeyer
See Juwan Howard
See Fortson

Mavericks and Overpaid are two words that are far from strangers to one another.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

LRB
11-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by: f l u r p
>>> I can't understand why we would overpay so drastically for Davis. <<<

See Jamison
See Walker
See Finley
See TAW
See LaFrentz
See Eschmeyer
See Juwan Howard
See Fortson

Mavericks and Overpaid are two words that are far from strangers to one another.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

We're not talking about overpay in dollars, but in talent. Mavs have seriously upgraded in each trade in recent years. In Jamison for Davis the Mavs don't get equal value in talent. Plus Davis only has a few years left. Jamison is still relatively young. I think we can get as good a lowpost player as Davis for our MLE next year from Free Agency, why overpay in talent for that now when we can get it for free (in talent) next year?

Murphy3
11-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Christian Laettner for Juwan Howard
.......Juwan Howard is a talentless slug
Just had to get a shot in for old times sake

Fah Q
11-21-2003, 10:45 PM
i hate to see AD go...
he is the heart and soul of our team
he has played undersized for the last few years all for his team..
the guy is an all star he defends like a rock.. he has a nice soft touch
and can catch the ball really well..

i think dallas should throw in a pick with jamison and delk..

this is robbery though.. mavs need to throw in jamison and nash instead of delk

Thats fromDavis is a superstar, a scoring machine when he is into the game. I've seen this guy backdown Yao Ming last game without a problem. Antonio is built strong, kind of like a Ford.

Raptors fans on real GM.

How pathetici/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

u2sarajevo
11-21-2003, 10:48 PM
I am calling BS on this rumor. Even realgm is reporting that ESPN is reporting it, but cites a report and links to it, but the link is broken. I went to ESPN and looked at the wire reports, main NBA page, not a single mention of this.

This is crap.

We can all relax, Donnie, Don, and Mark didn't get high on crystal-meth and pull off a stupid trade.

Max Power
11-21-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by: LRB
This just looks like something that was created out of thin air like the Bonzi/Rasheed trade for Jamison/Fin.

Yep.

Althought >I'M< taking credit for the Finley to Chicago, Rose to Toronto, and Davis to Dallas rumour.

LRB
11-21-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by: Max Power

Originally posted by: LRB
This just looks like something that was created out of thin air like the Bonzi/Rasheed trade for Jamison/Fin.

Yep.

Althought >I'M< taking credit for the Finley to Chicago, Rose to Toronto, and Davis to Dallas rumour.

MP try posting it on a few other boards and see if you can get it mentioned during tomorrow night's telecast. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

KingsFan4ever
11-21-2003, 11:03 PM
I was watching Kings-Magic game and Magic's announcers said it is about to happen..so seems legit...
The way I remember it
Bulls getting Mo Pete
Raptor getting Jalen, Delk, Jamison
Mavs getting Antonio Davis..

MavsFanFinley
11-21-2003, 11:04 PM
Everyone has pretty much covered all the points of why this trade will or will not happen but I'll chime in anyway.

It would be the first time the Mavs completed a trade where the talent in return doesn't match but I can see why they would make it.

The Mavs would have Bradley, Fortson, and Davis playing center. Not the most feared combination but it would be solid enough to keep Dirk at the pf position. It would also allow Najera to be his primary backup.

Davis is declining, but in limited minutes, I think he could be effective.

The Mavs are without a doubt confident that Walker can be our starting sf the next few years.

Delk would be shipped because they'll take their chances with Best backing Nash. Especially since we can have others bring the ball up adequately or make passes. Plus, it allows Howard to get minutes behind Finley.

LRB
11-21-2003, 11:09 PM
In a related story, Justine Timberlake and Britany Spears are in critical condition after a car accident today. i/expressions/rolleye.gif

KingsFan4ever
11-21-2003, 11:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1667761 here it is (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1667761)

u2sarajevo
11-21-2003, 11:11 PM
I found this.... Cbssportsline article on Toronto/Chicago trade (http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/6853311). It mentions Davis going to Chicago, not Dallas.

u2sarajevo
11-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Kingsfan... that is essentially the same article I posted a link to. But the Mavs are not mentioned.

KingsFan4ever
11-21-2003, 11:18 PM
oops..I didn't even read it..assumed it mentioned both..but 4 what its worth magic announcer's did mention it....

u2sarajevo
11-21-2003, 11:21 PM
I think all we've learned definitively is that Davis is not going to be a Canadian much longer.

...and I hope Jamison and Delk are still residing in North Texas.

MavsFanatik33
11-21-2003, 11:40 PM
This is not true, I refuse to believe it...there is no reasoning behind it for the Mavs...

Dirkenstien
11-22-2003, 12:41 AM
Give me a break, Cuban and Nellie would never do this for the simple fact that we could get so much more for Jamison and Delk. Our management is smarter than this; no way it goes through.

seelenjaeger
11-22-2003, 05:34 AM
Heres a three way trade that would actually work ... (kinda)

Dallas trades: SG Michael Finley
SF Antawn Jamison
SF Eduardo Najera

Dallas receives: PG Alvin Williams
SF Morris Peterson
SF Jalen Rose
PF Tyson Chandler
PF Marcus Fizer
PG Jay Williams

Toronto trades: PF Antonio Davis
PG Alvin Williams
PF Jerome Williams
SF Morris Peterson

Toronto receives: SF Antawn Jamison
SF Eduardo Najera
SF Donyell Marshall

Chicago trades: SF Jalen Rose
SF Donyell Marshall
PF Tyson Chandler
PF Marcus Fizer
PF Jay Williams

Chicago receives: SG Michael Finley
PF Antonio Davis
PF Jerome Williams

Posttrade Roster:

Chandler, Bradley, Fortson
Dirk, Fizer
Walker, Mo Pete, TaW
Rose, Delk, Howard
Nash, Best, Alvin Williams, Jay Williams

No one has to break his promises (Rose not going to Canada, blah blah) and stuff on this one, still its not necessarily a good trade.

And - you know - George Karl reported Rasheed playing in a Mavs uni the other day ...

Ill go with the Murph report on the trade.

Chicago JK
11-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Cuban scotches rumours

NBA trade rumours were flying fast and furious last night. As discussion of the possible Antonio Davis-Jalen Rose trade continued on sports radio, television and the Internet, a new scenario was thrown out.

Chicago was either going to flip Davis to the Dallas Mavericks for forward Antawn Jamison and maybe Tony Delk or Toronto was going to do the deal itself with Dallas.

It took Mavs owner Mark Cuban less than two minutes to respond to the question.

"Hell, no," Cuban e-mailed back, when asked if there was any substance to the suggestions.

sike
11-22-2003, 12:28 PM
alright..now its saturday....where does all this stand now?????

Just crap or still possible?

LRB
11-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by: sike

Sike if there was a trade in the works, which I'm 99.999% certain there isn't, it couldn't be made official until the league offices open on Monday and the league has time to review and approve the trade.

Murphy3
11-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
Cuban scotches rumours

NBA trade rumours were flying fast and furious last night. As discussion of the possible Antonio Davis-Jalen Rose trade continued on sports radio, television and the Internet, a new scenario was thrown out.

Chicago was either going to flip Davis to the Dallas Mavericks for forward Antawn Jamison and maybe Tony Delk or Toronto was going to do the deal itself with Dallas.

It took Mavs owner Mark Cuban less than two minutes to respond to the question.

"Hell, no," Cuban e-mailed back, when asked if there was any substance to the suggestions.

where there's smoke, there's fire.
I don't think there will be a trade, but I do believe that Cuban has at least been making inquiries.

Dirkenstien
11-22-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by: sike

Keep your eyes open for something to happen with Toronto and Chicago; if the only proposals are those that have already been romored involving Dallas then Dallas will not be involved.

Murphy3
11-22-2003, 01:01 PM
Keep your eyes open for something to happen with Toronto and Chicago; if the only proposals are those that have already been romored involving Dallas then Dallas will not be involved.
I can agree with that.

Rose has come out and said that Paxson has informed him that he wil not be traded to Toronoto. He did not say that he would not be traded. Are the Mavs involved? I cannot see the Mavs making a move for Rose without Finley being involved.

So, I do not believe there is a trade in the works involving the Mavs. However, I do believe that the Mavs are consistently burning the phone lines trying to see what they could do if so inclined involving Jamison.

The Mavs will get a point in which they realize that they don't have to have the 5th scoring option as much as previously believed. If Bradley is consistently utilized in 20+ minutes per game, Jamison's minutes will drop because Dirk will be playing less and less center.

As that occurs, Jamison's PT and FGA will drop more than he ever expected when he accepted the 6th man role. The role won't be like what we saw out of NVE last year. Why? Because the Mavs have 5 scoring options this year instead of the four legit options they had last year. Add that up and the shots just aren't there for Jamison to consistently get his share.

Will Jamison be content with a role that might see him palying less than 20 minutes in many games but sometimes more than 35? I don't know that he wouldn't be happy, but I can definitely see why a young All-Star caliber person would be disappointed to say the least.

Right now, it's all just speculation. However, I think we can all see that Nellie favors Walker more than he does Jamison. Jamison could very well be the odd man out.

As I said before the season, this team will gel but it probably won't gel in the manner in which Nellie had in plan. I said that the Mavs would come to a point to where they realized that sacrificing the playing time of one offensive player in favor of playing a more defensive minded player would not negatively affect their offense significantly. But, it would greatly improve their defense. If Bradley gets consistent playing time, the team will be gelling without Jamison playing nearly the role that Nellie had envisioned. If Nellie is willing to go with a lineup that features more defense, it's not good news for Jamison.

We'll just have to wait and see whether or not Jamison is willing to accept the even lesser role than expected. We'll also have to wait and see how willing Nellie is to go with a slightly more defensive oriented lineup more often than what he had planned.

But, if Nellie does go with Bradley and a couple of other defensive oriented players more, Jamison could be on the trading block

thewillis12
11-22-2003, 03:37 PM
"Chicago was either going to flip Davis to the Dallas Mavericks for forward Antawn Jamison and maybe Tony Delk or Toronto was going to do the deal itself with Dallas. It took Mavs owner Mark Cuban less than two minutes to respond to the question. "Hell, no," Cuban e-mailed back, when asked if there was any substance to the suggestions." Toronto Star

Jamisonite
11-22-2003, 04:33 PM
i could see dallas entering this deal. but we wont give much. we will give a couple of not so important players to even out salaries and get a big man from one of the teams. Marshall, Fizer, Williams

kg_veteran
11-22-2003, 10:55 PM
I'll second the comments of the Evil One.

This trade will never happen.

And why would anyone want it to?

A 35 year old, 6'9" PF who we'd ask to play center who is a good rebounder and a pretty decent low post defender but who's shooting under 36% and, by the way, is 35?

Sure, I'll give up a high-scoring, high-flying 6'9", 27 year old star for that. Or maybe I won't....

I'd give up Danny Fortson and Travis Best to get Davis. That's about it.

Murphy3
11-23-2003, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I don't really think that many people are in favor of the proposed trade. I can see scenarios in which a trade would be necessary (no, not this trade though). However, none of those scenarios have played out at this point...not remotely.