PDA

View Full Version : Darko Milicic ???

DNNF
11-21-2003, 09:47 PM
What happened to this guy? He's not on Detroit's IR. Is he so bad that Larry Brown doesn't let him play at all? He got total of 4 mins of playing time all year.

AdamAMMP
11-21-2003, 09:59 PM
really no need to play him when your already a good ball club.

They drafted him for the future not the present.

DNNF
11-21-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by: AdamAMMP
really no need to play him when your already a good ball club.

They drafted him for the future not the present.

At least give him about 5 to 10 mins a game like what we did with Dirk. If he's not playing, he won't be develope.

mavsman
11-21-2003, 10:50 PM
I had asked that same question here a few qeeks ago and I still don't know either. I mean, when you're a pretty decent ball club and lucky enough to end up with a No. 2 pick, you could be wanting to become an elite ball club. Instead, the Pistons choose to make him become the most unused second pick since Len Bias and use him "in the future", when seven players of their current roster are already 30 and Wallace ist fast approaching. So I guess, instead of trying now, they just want to rebuild again.

SaltwaterChaffy
11-22-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by: mavsman
I had asked that same question here a few qeeks ago and I still don't know either. I mean, when you're a pretty decent ball club and lucky enough to end up with a No. 2 pick, you could be wanting to become an elite ball club. Instead, the Pistons choose to make him become the most unused second pick since Len Bias and use him "in the future", when seven players of their current roster are already 30 and Wallace ist fast approaching. So I guess, instead of trying now, they just want to rebuild again.

poor taste mavsman. please don't compare the situation of darko to the tragedy of Len Bias.

MavKikiNYC
11-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Yeah, and besides he's only the most unused No.2 pick since Mantis.

Jamisonite
11-22-2003, 04:32 PM
Im just totally against drafting europeans this high. Especially when they are 18-20

Avrillicker
11-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Milicic is very naive,especially defensively. He'd be abused and probably foul out in a dozen minutes if he played. IMO this will benefit him: he was being too self-confident around draft time

DNNF
11-22-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by: Avrillicker
Milicic is very naive,especially defensively. He'd be abused and probably foul out in a dozen minutes if he played. IMO this will benefit him: he was being too self-confident around draft time

Only way that would benefit him is to play the game. This is not the NFL where you would sit the 1st year and learn.

Epitome22
11-22-2003, 09:59 PM
I think that if Darko is lucky, he'll become an effective 7th or 8th man off some team's bench in 6 or 7 years.

Carmelo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Darko

mavsman
11-23-2003, 07:48 AM
poor taste mavsman. please don't compare the situation of darko to the tragedy of Len Bias.
Sorry SaltwaterChubby, didn't want to hurt your feelings. I didn't want to imply that Darko is a cokehead. He's a very fine young man.

MavKikiNYC
11-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
Im just totally against drafting europeans this high. Especially when they are 18-20

Huh?

Walkerforthree
11-23-2003, 01:32 PM

Dirk, Gasol.

MavsFanatik33
11-23-2003, 02:15 PM
Larry Brown hates to play rookies a lot, he has always had something against it. I doubt Darko will play a whole lot this year....

Jamisonite
11-23-2003, 05:32 PM
dirk wasnt number 2 and i believe his draft was a rather weak one(not sure). and Gasols draft was REALLY weak. He came after 2 high school kids

Walkerforthree
11-23-2003, 05:35 PM
dirk wasnt number 2 and i believe his draft was a rather weak one(not sure). and Gasols draft was REALLY weak. He came after 2 high school kids

LMAO, Dirk was in one of the best drafts evee, lol good one. Let's see, just off the top of my head, Dirk, Pierce, Cater, your man Jamison, Shard were all in Dirk's draft.

And no, I NEVER said dirk was taken 2, but earlier you spoke of no euro's should be taken in the top 10, both dirk and gasol were, both have been great.

Dirkenstien
11-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by: mavsman

Sorry SaltwaterChubby, didn't want to hurt your feelings. I didn't want to imply that Darko is a cokehead. He's a very fine young man.

Mavsman,

Lets not refer to Len Bias as a cokehead for it is not known whether or not he commonly utilized such drugs as his death could just as likely have been an unfortunate tragedy derived from a saddening abberation. The situations of Darko and Bias are completely different in that Darko is actually receiving opportunity to play but to this point has yet to display the skills that rewarded him as the second pick of the draft.

All in all, I'm sure it must be difficult for you to attempt respectfully considering situations that strongly encourage such qualities but the effort would be much appreciated on this forum.

Thank You

mavsman
11-24-2003, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry Dirkenstien if I hurt your feelings, but if your brother was a wheelchair-riding vegetable like mine after he suffered a stroke after a drug-overdose, I guess you'd be thinking a little like me when it comes to this topic. Thanks for not being patronizing.

Nevertheless, the question I was hiding in my initial post was the following: Why in the world would Detroit waste a No 2-pick on "building the future" when more than half of their roster is over the hill in probably 2 or three years? At least Philly knew their roster would be kinda intact, when they drafted the missionary Mantis .

Jamisonite
11-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Did i not say...im not sure??...Gasol has put up numbers...but he has been far from great...there are few great players in this league....maybe 5...to me theres only 3. Great players take thier team mates to higher levels. Great players exceed what they should. Jason Kidd is a great player, Tim Duncan is a great player, and Kevin Garnett is a great player. Im probably going to offend some mavs fans since Dirk is not on this list but let me defend my position.
Jason Kidd took a not so talented NJ team and did what he has done. And im not sure if you guys noticed but SA was not near as talented as Dallas, LA, or Sac last year. And to me KG is just the best team player in the league. Wally World missed 30 games, and Joe Smith missed 28 games(many of these at the same time) and KG still led the Wolves to 5th in the western conference. Those are marks of great players.

What has gasol done but lead a very talented team into mediocrity. Right now hes a good player. IMO hed be the 4th best player on our team . As far as Dirk goes. hes a very good player on a very good team.

Walkerforthree
11-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Did i not say...im not sure??...Gasol has put up numbers...but he has been far from great...there are few great players in this league....maybe 5...to me theres only 3. Great players take thier team mates to higher levels. Great players exceed what they should. Jason Kidd is a great player, Tim Duncan is a great player, and Kevin Garnett is a great player. Im probably going to offend some mavs fans since Dirk is not on this list but let me defend my position.
Jason Kidd took a not so talented NJ team and did what he has done. And im not sure if you guys noticed but SA was not near as talented as Dallas, LA, or Sac last year. And to me KG is just the best team player in the league. Wally World missed 30 games, and Joe Smith missed 28 games(many of these at the same time) and KG still led the Wolves to 5th in the western conference. Those are marks of great players.

What has gasol done but lead a very talented team into mediocrity. Right now hes a good player. IMO hed be the 4th best player on our team . As far as Dirk goes. hes a very good player on a very good team.

A few things:
1. Gasol here will be great imo, and already is very very good, if you only call 3 player's great, then no one, foreign or domestic can really be great. But Gasol was damn well worth the pick
2. Dirk on NJ instead of Kidd and they do the same imo
3. KG had a lot of help from Wally when healthy, there record was much higher when wally played, Hudson also played huge for Minny, it wasn't just KG
4. Dirk is a great player imo
5. Dirk is more then a good player on a good team, put him on a bad team, he averages 28/12/4 easy!

Jamisonite
11-24-2003, 11:37 PM
great players transcend beyond statistics. i guess you dont realize that. the great ones find ways to win games. The great ones win with less around them. i mean just because someone scores 19 ppg and 9rebs doesnt mean he deserves the HOF. Only the great ones make the hall. Any player can have a good couple of seasons. Look at Vin Baker...Shawn Kemp. Shit Shawn Kemp was the best at his position for a couple years...well him and Malone...but would you give him a seat in the hall...didnt think so. You give players the GREAT tag too easily. As far as the players in the league now that deserve a hall ticket at the moment...the list is prob pretty short
Pippen, Malonea Payton Reggie Miller and Shaq are obvious. but if the nba ended today who else in this league would deserve a ticket to the hall
Duncan for sure...he carries two MVPs. I believe Jason Kidd goes in(hes been the best point guard in the league for the last 4-5 years). You could argue the two kids (Kobe and KG) and MAYBE and i mean MAYBE AI but after that i dont know of anyone else that has deserved that seat. You tell me who has

Walkerforthree
11-25-2003, 12:04 AM
Uh, I never said Gasol or anyone else would go to the hall, I said Gasol is a very good up and coming player who was smartly drafted high, the original point was that you thought no one good euro besides dirk was drafted top 10, well, Gasol is very good, and keep in mind this is only his third year.

jayC
11-25-2003, 12:18 AM
Jamsonite:
Paul Pierce , mike bibby, dirk, jamison, carter , raef yeah thats a weak class not really.

mary
10-09-2004, 07:21 AM
http://www.detnews.com/pix/2004/10/08/sports/s008-darko-1004y-2.jpg

Friday, October 8, 2004

Milicic is better, but not ready

Second-year Piston, 19, must play behind a veteran frontcourt.

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News
Robin Buckson / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS — Darko Milicic has made his feelings crystal clear.

“I want to play,” he has said, repeatedly. “I have to play.”

On Thursday, Coach Larry Brown expressed his feelings.

When asked if, given the veteran depth of the Pistons frontcourt, there would be any playing time left for Milicic, 19, Brown said, “No. Unless he earns it.”

As often was the case last season, Brown didn’t mince words about Milicic.

“I read all his comments that he wants to play, and I love that,” Brown said. “But he still has to earn it. That’s going to be a big factor for him.”

It should be noted that Brown has been greatly pleased by Milicic’s performance thus far.

“He’s come so far,” Brown said. “It’s night and day, the difference between his first three days this year and his first three days last year.”

But here is the reality for Milicic: He could improve his game 100 percent over last season and still not be ready to take playing time away from Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess, Derrick Coleman or Elden Campbell.

“Playing against guys that good every day is going to help him,” Brown said. “They all cheer for him. They all want him to do well. But, you know, I have never had anybody tell me that I had to play Darko before he’s ready.”

And he won’t play him until he’s ready. But that, Brown said, doesn’t mean he, President Joe Dumars or anybody else in the organization is disappointed or ready to give up on him.

“I mean, if we continue to do our job, and he does his, he is going to keep improving,” Brown said. “He is getting better.”

Again, it warrants repeating, there aren’t many big men who have ever made a major impact in the NBA at age 19.

All-Star Jermaine O’Neal averaged 2.5 points, 2.7 rebounds and 8.6 minutes at age 20, and that was his third season with Portland.

Brown used Carlos Delfino to further the point. Though a rookie, Delfino is far more advanced, physically and mentally, than Milicic.

“To watch him and see the difference — he is 22 and Darko is 19,” Brown said. “That is the difference.”

Watching Milicic compete during the team’s informal precamp scrimmages, Brown saw how comfortable and proficient he was playing away from the basket. He also saw how he continued to struggle in the low post.

“We know he can do that,” Brown said of playing Milicic away from the basket. “We have to figure out if he can do anything else. I want him to learn how to guard. He can’t guard right now. And he doesn’t rebound like a 7-footer right now. But he’s gotten better.

“The skill things he has. He’s a great passer and he can make a jump shot. We have to work on the things that are more difficult for him.”

Milicic is likely to get every opportunity to show Brown that he is worthy of a bigger role. With Ben Wallace limited after appendix surgery, and the Pistons being cautious with veterans McDyess and Coleman, Milicic is expected to log heavy minutes in the early exhibition games.

“I know it is up to me,” Milicic said. “I have to show them (coaches) what I believe — that I am ready to play.”

Text (http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/0410/08/h01-297637.htm)

Arne
10-09-2004, 10:15 AM
@Jamisonite
Don't you understand the situation?
You said that you wouldn't draft european players in the Top-10.
But the real issue is: Tyson Chandler and Kwame Brown were picked in front of him. And whom would you rather have on your Team today? - Chandler, Brown or Gasol... I think the answer is quite clear.
And: Michael Olowokandi, Mike Bibby, Raef LaFrentz, Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter, Robert Traylor, Jason Williams and Larry Hughes were picked in front of Dirk, and who's the better player today?

So please, stop hatin' the european player.

Post scriptum: Dirk is a better player than Jason Kidd.

Hitman
10-09-2004, 10:45 AM
The problem here is that the only way for Darko to REALLY develop is for him to play in real games. LB has said so himself and it is the truth. You have to give the kid some PT this year.

Hitman
10-09-2004, 10:48 AM

I realize this post is almost a year old but nonetheless it is one of the most stupid an/ or ignorant posts I have seen.

Give me a freaking break.

Bayliss
10-09-2004, 10:54 AM
I realize this post is almost a year old but nonetheless it is one of the most stupid an/ or ignorant posts I have seen.

Skita, Darko, Biedrins... the jury is still out.

But a lot of Euros are getting hyped because of Dirk. Just like a lot of Hsers are getting hyped because of KG/Kobe/Tracy. It's not a stupid comment.

The "bust ratio" is becoming greater. Therefore the risk is becoming greater.

Misfit Mav
10-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by: Bayliss

Skita, Darko, Biedrins... the jury is still out.

But a lot of Euros are getting hyped because of Dirk. Just like a lot of Hsers are getting hyped because of KG/Kobe/Tracy. It's not a stupid comment.

The "bust ratio" is becoming greater. Therefore the risk is becoming greater.

I think part of the problem is that teams were trying to draft Euros exclusively in the Dirk mold: smooth-shooting 7-footers like Skita and Lampe. The fact is that Dirk is a truly unique player, and not just in the NBA but in the world. Meanwhile, more conventional players (centers with some bulk like Okur and great guards like Parker and Ginobili) have flown under the "euro-radar" and turned out to be great.

GP
10-10-2004, 04:06 AM
I think Darko and the high school kids are perfect examples of why the lower half of the 1st round and the 2nd round are valuable picks. These used to be worthless picks but now a team can get real players. From what I've seen of Darko's play, I don't think he will ever be a great player. He didn't look like he had any lateral quickness or footspeed. That just doesn't work in the pros very well.

Avrillicker
10-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by: GP
From what I've seen of Darko's play, I don't think he will ever be a great player. He didn't look like he had any lateral quickness or footspeed.
those are two of his main qualities; I've seen him guard guards on the perimeter back in his Chemofarm Vrsac days,and he made a decent job of it