PDA

View Full Version : Heat sign Wang Zhizhi, Waive Tyrone Hill

mavs413
12-01-2003, 01:54 PM
Associated Press

MIAMI -- The Miami Heat signed center Wang Zhizhi to a multiyear contract Monday and waived forward Tyrone Hill.

The 7-foot-1, 284-pound Wang appeared in 43 games in parts of two seasons with the Clippers, averaging 4.3 points. He had four points and one block in two games this season while playing behind Predrag Drobnjak and rookie Chris Kaman.

Wang, who became the first NBA player from China when he signed with Dallas in April 2001, was waived by the Clippers on Nov. 21.

Terms of Wang's contract were not released.

sike
12-01-2003, 02:27 PM
there was a day when we wanted him......ahhhhh the good ole days......wait.........ahhhhhhhh the present days.....i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

bernardos70
12-01-2003, 04:15 PM
When the Clippers waive you..... let's just say you aren't playing NBA quality basketball.

Dirkenstien
12-01-2003, 05:01 PM
think there may be any chance of us picking up the elder Tyrone Hill?

grndmstr_c
12-01-2003, 05:03 PM
If he'd do the renewable 10 day contract thing I'd be all for it. He's not a center, but then again, neither are Eddie and Danny.

madape
12-01-2003, 05:21 PM
Wang's going to have an uphill climb. He's got to beat out Malik Allen, Jerome Beasley, Samaki Walker, Rasual Butler, John Wallace, Udonis Haslem and Loren Woods for playing time behind Lamar Odom and Brian Grant.

bogey
12-01-2003, 05:51 PM
This is the first time the Heat have had a Wang in years.

Simon2
12-01-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
If he'd do the renewable 10 day contract thing I'd be all for it. He's not a center, but then again, neither are Eddie and Danny.

I wonder how much would it take to get Hill over here. He could be another body that the Mavs could use against the bigger teams.

sike
12-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by: bogey

no cow, this is the first time they have ever had a Wang!....LRB checked under the skirt and told mei/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

LRB
12-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by: sike

Originally posted by: bogey

no cow, this is the first time they have ever had a Wang!....LRB checked under the skirt and told mei/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

At least my Avatar doesn't look like someone who'd be checking the inside of little boy's pants, Micahael ... err I mean Sike.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

FilthyFinMavs
12-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Who do we put on the IR to fit him into our roster?

dude1394
12-01-2003, 10:13 PM
The 7-foot-1, 284-pound Wang appeared in 43 games in parts of two seasons with the Clippers, averaging 4.3 points. He had four points and one block in two games this season while playing behind Predrag Drobnjak and rookie Chris Kaman.

Dang, when did he put on 284 pounds. Has anyone seen him this year???

MavsFanFinley
12-01-2003, 11:32 PM
Who do we put on the IR to fit him into our roster?

I'd like to see the Mavs get Hill, but they won't. You could use him against 2nd string centers or for 6 fouls when Bradley and/or Fortson aren't cutting it.

We'd have to put Best, Delk, or Daniels on the IL. I would bet they'd place Daniels as we need Best to back up Nash and Nelson seems in love with Delk.

LRB
12-02-2003, 04:15 AM
I'd rather not waste our spot on anyone less than 6'10", especially if they're as old as Hill. We need height not age.

Evilmav2
12-02-2003, 04:59 AM
No way. Hill is finished this year, and he could have never fit into our offense anyway...

MavsFanFinley
12-02-2003, 10:49 AM
Mavs not so high on Hill now

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Signing veteran power forward Tyrone Hill, released Monday by Miami, isn't currently in the Mavericks' plans, but that could change, according to president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson.

"I don't know if that's an upgrade," Nelson said. "The question you have to ask yourself is if he's going to make a significant difference. If we have another injury, that could change things, but barring that, I don't know if it's something we'll pursue."

The Mavs are without Dirk Nowitzki (sprained right ankle) for tonight's game against Washington. Nowitzki didn't practice Monday but did some limited shooting after practice. It appears unlikely he'll be ready for Thursday's home game against the Lakers.

"He'll be out a couple more games," Mavs coach Don Nelson said, before adding, "I don't know what a couple more games means."

As for Hill, the Mavericks tried to sign the 6-foot-9 power forward last season after Cleveland released him, but he decided to sign with Philadelphia.

"We like him as a player," Donnie Nelson said. "Are we going to win another game with the combination of Ty and Dirk and Shawn [Bradley] and Danny [Fortson]? Again, I don't know. We always keep our options open, but right now we want those [backup] minutes to go to Shawn and Danny."

Hill signed with the Heat on Nov. 7 and appeared in five games, averaging 1.8 points and 1.6 rebounds.

LRB
12-02-2003, 11:22 AM

A better title might have been, Mavs not high on cocaine

Usually Lurkin
12-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Wang is the trillion dollar center that will rule the East with an iron fist for years to come.
Maybe with the removal of Pat "We don't need to score, we don't need to score" Riley, the Heat can come to the realization that there is a place for a 7-footer with a sweet stroke and a determination to laugh in the face of the ill-will of two mighty nations. If the Heat give him court time, Wang's [truly] offensive talent will make the lowly Clippers lament an ill-fated decision to let him go.

Maringa
12-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Isn't it interesting that Wang has been with Miami for like 5 games since his signing, and he hasn't played one minute? You would think he would at least get some garbage minutes....I wonder if he is just out of shape, or he is having a hard time getting adjusted during their practices....Not a good sign...

MavKikiNYC
12-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by: Maringa
Isn't it interesting that Wang has been with Miami for like 5 games since his signing, and he hasn't played one minute? You would think he would at least get some garbage minutes....I wonder if he is just out of shape, or he is having a hard time getting adjusted during their practices....Not a good sign...

Jet lag.

MavsFanatik33
12-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by: LRB

A better title might have been, Mavs not high on cocaine

i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif LOL