PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Bobcats Arena

MavsFanatik33
12-02-2003, 10:19 AM
This arena looks like a cool place for an NBA team...too bad they will suck badly for awhile
Pictures of Charlotte Arena (http://www.nba.com/bobcats/charlotte_arena_images.html)

http://www.nba.com/media/bobcats/arena_rend_lobby.jpg

Walkerforthree
12-04-2003, 02:56 PM
wow, looks cool

Nash13
12-04-2003, 06:24 PM
2hr drive, but i'd go once a year to see them get beat by the Mavs.

Smiles
12-04-2003, 06:36 PM
It's a beautiful arena, for sure! It's a little "busy" looking for my personal tastes - which is why I still prefer our own American Airlines Center. Overall though, it's a lovely design.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif Congradulations Charlotte!

LRB
12-04-2003, 06:42 PM
Looks a little cartoonish to me. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

u2sarajevo
12-04-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
This arena looks like a cool place for an NBA team...too bad they will suck badly for awhile
Pictures of Charlotte Arena (http://www.nba.com/bobcats/charlotte_arena_images.html)

I want to know what the second guy from the right on the bottom is doing. i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif

Wait a minute... scratch that. I would prefer NOT to know.

dirkformvp
12-04-2003, 09:06 PM
what does that question have to do with anything? that looks like a really cool arena when it is ready, it looks like its really big

NYCdog
12-06-2003, 12:55 PM

If you ask me................what a strange mix. The Future meets the past? You cant straddle the fence when it come to architecture. You either go one way or the other. In this case, Charlotte looks confused as to if they should go for the more contemporary futuristic look or the traditional look. Thus they come up with this "mixed bag of tricks" look that looks far to busy and cluttered. Its like futuristic Toyota Center meets traditional Conseco Fieldhouse. Or Staples meets AAC, Phillips meets SBC.........you get the picture. To me, I think the design is also way too busy.

There are a couple of facilities that I have visited that I really like...........

AAC...........Wow, from planes hanging overhead to terrazzo flooring beneath your feat, concourses are beautifull. I just wish the upper deck wasent so far away form the court and the building was more intimate.

Exterior is unbelieveably beautifull too.............but where's all that Victory developement that was planned? Can someone explain if that will happen?

Conseco.......Love the old school look. Concourses are alos palacial. And the Bowl is very intimate.

AAA..............Love the Biscayne Bay site. And I love the way it glows like its "on fire" at night. The arena's windows are tinted fading form yellow to red to produce the "on fire" effect it gives off at night. That's so cool. Its a must see...........

And my new favorite.................Toyota Center. Exterior is beautifull. Simple yet sleek. And it looks even better at night when its "drowned" in red lighting. And the inside is intimate and probably gives fan the best view of any new arena in the NBA.........only two seating decks, upper and lower with suites sandwiched in between. And most of the seats are in the lower bowl. Main concourse at street level........that means no stairs or escalotors to climb unless your in the upper deck! Concourses have no detail and look pretty bland compared to palacial AAC concourses. But, they are open to the court so fans can see the action while buying there food, like what you would find at a new retro ballpark and something I have never seen in another NBA venue. More arenaa should copy this fan friendly concept. Fans can see practice for free from the street thanks to large bay windows in the practice facility..........that's if they want to see this AVERAGE team practice for free. I'd rather watch the Lakers practice and see Shaq and Kobe fight over contorl over the team. That's just my preference............

This is a really terrific fan friendly venue.............too bad there fickle fans dont come out to see it.

When replacing MSG in the coming years, I hope the Knicks and the city copy TC (and hopefully the concourses at AAC) to reward the best fans in the world.........the Knickerbocker Nation!

NYCdog
12-06-2003, 01:10 PM
And speaking of the Bobcats...............here's an article regrading there new uniforms. From what I have heard from my sources, When the WNBA Sting unveil their new "more Bobcat-like" uniforms with Bobcat colors incorporated, you will see subtle hints in the trim of the WNBA uniform that will hint at the overall design of there NBA counterparts uniforms because the Bobcats franchise wants to be more closely knit with the WNBA Sting. The Sting recently adopted the Bobcat's color scheme of Orange, Black, and Blue.

Fashion court

By KAREN GUZMAN, Staff Writer

Before the Charlotte Bobcats take to the basketball court next fall, one detail must be absolutely perfect: the fledgling NBA franchise's uniforms.

Bobcats officials are keeping the design under wraps, but they're hinting the uniform will break new sports fashion ground.

"Our goal was to create something unique without creating something outlandish," says Chris Weiller, Bobcats' executive vice president for corporate affairs. "It's going to be a little bit different, but not too different."

The team's caution is well-placed. In the NBA and in the world of professional sports in general, uniforms are a franchise's calling card. They hold the power to both rally -- and revile -- the public.

Case in point: the Dallas Mavericks' ill-fated experiment with a glittery silver road look in October. Fans didn't like the way it shimmied across their TV screens, and the Mavericks pulled the uniform after just one game.

In a similar vein, the Boston Celtics amazed longtime watchers when they trotted onto the court this season in white sneakers, after decades of dark footwear. Tradition-loving Celtics fans, however, have embraced a little white on their boys in green.

Charlotte's former NBA team, the Hornets, were lucky, too, when fans gave a thumbs-up to the groundbreaking purple-and- teal uniforms that UNC alumnus and menswear designer Alexander Julian whipped up for the team.

Knowing the fan base and the marketing potential of uniforms, the Bobcats are taking no chances.

"The uniforms are a huge part of the development of a team's identity," says Weiller, who has been instrumental in developing what he calls the four elements of team identity: uniform, name, colors and logo. "We spent a lot of time soliciting the input of the community to create the right identity," Weiller says.

Uniform color and cut say a lot. Players need colors that are bold, but not menacing, and a cut that's flattering yet functional. Tradition and innovation often vie for dominance, with teams wanting to stand out -- just not too far out. Most play it safe, but occasionally a player steps out, triggering trends that go beyond the court. Michael Jordan singlehandedly changed the length of NBA and men's streetwear casual shorts when he let his down.

Charlotte clothier Cary Mitchell, dresser of dozens of NBA and other pro athletes, helped design the Bobcats' uniform and choose the colors, which include a shade of dark orange-red that Weiller says is a pro uniform first.

Secondary colors are silver, black and steel-gray blue. The primary orange-red is a bold, businesslike shade, strong, serious and unique. The public indicated it wanted the new team to stand out from the NBA pack, Weiller says.

Colors not only help a team stand out, but they also make a statement. The Bobcats' silver, black and steel-gray blue accents -- colors seen elsewhere in pro sports -- are visual touchstones for NBA fans. When paired with the distinct orange, the result is a message of brave departure, of the familiar infused with new and vibrant blood.

Reebok is creating prototypes. Weiller expects the jersey to hit stores in May or June.

College teams create their signature looks with great care, too. While the colors are generally the school's colors, design elements vary and are periodically updated.

N.C. State University's women's basketball team signed on with Nike to produce all its clothing this year and took the opportunity to tweak the fit.

"It's more for a ladies' team," says Brenda Keene, director of athletic equipment for Reynolds Coliseum. "The shoulder cut is much shorter so it's not coming off their shoulders. It fits like a woman's jersey should fit." The shorts, too, have been tweaked for a better fit and warm-up pants legs are more tapered.

NCSU's thinking is right in step with the times. Some prominent female athletes, most notably tennis titans Venus and Serena Williams have dared to feminize their outfits to celebrate the strength and grace of women.

"I think it's very classy," Keene says.

Basketball teams, of course, aren't the only ones who painstakingly design their uniforms. When Shaw University's Bears returned to the varsity football field this fall for the first time since 1978, the team was in sleek rich burgundy and white uniforms, designed by former head coach Gregory Ruffin.

"He ordered all of them by his design, even down to the helmet. That was his personal touch," said current head coach Deondri Clark said.

Other than functional concerns such as ventilation, comfort and a smart look that will give players a shot of confidence, Clark admits he doesn't dwell on style details.

"We're not big on the fashion part," he says. "We just want to look nice and ... play good ball."

Staff writer Karen Guzman can be reached at 829-4752 or kguzman@newsobserver.com.

Walkerforthree
12-06-2003, 10:15 PM
"This is a really terrific fan friendly venue.............too bad there fickle fans dont come out to see it."
Are you refering to the Charlotte fans or LA??

Nash13
12-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Charlotte fans didn't come the last season the Hornets were here is because they didn't(i didn't either) like the way George Shinn was conducting business. And once all the rumors came out about them moving to New Orleans, people stopped caring.

Walkerforthree
12-07-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by: Nash13
Charlotte fans didn't come the last season the Hornets were here is because they didn't(i didn't either) like the way George Shinn was conducting business. And once all the rumors came out about them moving to New Orleans, people stopped caring.

exactly nash. I know you live in NC. I have some family and friends who live in Charlotte so I frequent it very frequently. That is utter BS NYCDog, you don't have a freaking clue b/c you don't know the people of Charlotte, I could say all New Yorkers are A-holes. Charlotte fans are great. As Nash pointed out, Shin and Woolridge were the biggest dickhead a-holes in the world, the people didn't support them, they loved the team.

NYCdog
12-07-2003, 12:24 PM
You guys are way off base here.................you totally mis-understood me!

This is a really terrific fan friendly venue.............too bad there fickle fans dont come out to see it.

By this comment above, I am refering to Toyota Center and the fickle Rocket fans who dont show up to support this up and coming team...............NOT Charlotte, who DIDNT EVEN have a team last year.

That is utter BS NYCDog, you don't have a freaking clue b/c you don't know the people of Charlotte,

Yes this is utter BS, especially when this is not what I mean................how could you guys take what I said and misunderstand it this much?

Will Charlotte be able to support the Bobcats?

Hell yeah!

I saw it FIRST HAND in the Zo' and Grand Mama years. I saw many playoff games when I was in Charlotte on business. I know loyal Charlotte fans got screwed out by there greedy owners just like loyal Houston Oiler fans got screwed out by Bud Adams. That's why both cities got replacement teams. And they deserve them, too.

Nash13, Walkerforthree.....................before you go and try and bash me OR anyone next time, make sure you have understood the statement correctly by asking questions like Walkerforthree.................which I did appreciate you asking Walker..................but why did you too bash me before I had a chance to answer?

Give me a chance to explain my self...............the bashing was totally unnecessary.

Nash13
12-07-2003, 01:03 PM
I don't want to argue with you NYC. I didn't even read what you said. I was responding to what Walkerforthree asked.

My post had nothing to do with you.

Walkerforthree
12-07-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by: NYCdog
You guys are way off base here.................you totally mis-understood me!

By this comment above, I am refering to Toyota Center and the fickle Rocket fans who dont show up to support this up and coming team...............NOT Charlotte, who DIDNT EVEN have a team last year.

That is utter BS NYCDog, you don't have a freaking clue b/c you don't know the people of Charlotte,

Yes this is utter BS, especially when this is not what I mean................how could you guys take what I said and misunderstand it this much?

Will Charlotte be able to support the Bobcats?

Hell yeah!

I saw it FIRST HAND in the Zo' and Grand Mama years. I saw many playoff games when I was in Charlotte on business. I know loyal Charlotte fans got screwed out by there greedy owners just like loyal Houston Oiler fans got screwed out by Bud Adams. That's why both cities got replacement teams. And they deserve them, too.

Nash13, Walkerforthree.....................before you go and try and bash me OR anyone next time, make sure you have understood the statement correctly by asking questions like Walkerforthree.................which I did appreciate you asking Walker..................but why did you too bash me before I had a chance to answer?

Give me a chance to explain my self...............the bashing was totally unnecessary.

Yeah, my bad NYC, see this is what happened. I wasn't sure which fans you were talking about, so I asked. I thought you meant the Rockets fans (lol, just realised I put LA for some reason) but I wasn't sure so I asked you. Then Nash13 responded defending the Charlotte fans, ergo I assumed you must have been making reference to the Charlotte fans. So I guess it was a simple mis-understanding. You are absolutely right, and I apologize for my unfounded-causticness. No hard feelings?