PDA

View Full Version : Bonzi for Wesley Person

grndmstr_c
12-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Just reported by ESPN. Memphis also sends a first round draft choice next year.

ames7
12-03-2003, 04:35 PM
online now:
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1677331)

ESPN.com news services
The Blazers have traded Bonzi Wells to the Grizzlies for Wesley Person and a No. 1 draft pick in 2004, ESPN has learned.

An official announcement is expected to be made later Wednesday.

Earlier this season, Wells was stripped of his team captaincy and suspended two games after he cursed at coach Maurice Cheeks.

Wells has spent his entire six-year career with in Portland, averaging 13.3 points per game. He averaged a career-best 17.0 points during the 2001-2002 season. In 13 games this season, he is averaging 12.2 points.

Person, known for his perimeter marksmanship, has a career scoring average of 11.8, but is averaging just 5.2 points this season with a poor .308 shooting percentage.

During a game in November, Cheeks yanked Wells for taking an ill-advised jumpshot. Wells swore at Cheeks on his way back to the bench and stood on the sideline and continued a profanity-laced tirade. Wells sat out the final 16:17 of the game, and the Blazers quickly lost the lead. The Mavericks went on to win 105-98. Wells did apologize after the game.

"It just gets old. I'm sick of it," Cheeks said at the time. "I'm sick of always saying he didn't mean it and all that. Players have to be accountable for what they do and what they say."

kg_veteran
12-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Memphis overpaid.

sike
12-03-2003, 05:08 PM
a bad boy to stir up all that old crap in JWill???? lets see, if someone can tame Wells, he could be a good player!

Just211
12-03-2003, 05:12 PM
not a bad dump by portland. They free up cap space, and add a #1 pick. I'm sure they would have liked to get talent in return, but this is just as good for them. Now they have to do it about 4 more times i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

dirno2000
12-03-2003, 05:22 PM
I hope that #1 is protected.

Jamisonite
12-03-2003, 05:25 PM
yes...if its a top 3 picks its protected

LRB
12-03-2003, 05:27 PM
And another bad apple leaves the tree in Portland.

Dirkenstien
12-03-2003, 05:30 PM
this makes memphis even tougher to deal with in the future. Good deal for portland and Memphis if they can atleast partially tame him

kg_veteran
12-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Memphis is completely loaded at the wing positions. They have another deal in the works, count on that.

Chicago JK
12-03-2003, 05:53 PM
How long until Rasheed turns Wesley into a pot smoking, no liscence driving, technical getting machine?

bogey
12-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
How long until Rasheed turns Wesley into a pot smoking, no liscence driving, technical getting machine?

hahahaha

bogey
12-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Christmas comes early for the Blazers
By Chad Ford
NBA Insider
Send an Email to Chad Ford Wednesday, December 3
Updated: December 3
6:02 PM ET

Finally.

The Blazers have had enough. The housecleaning has begun.

Bonzi Wells has been traded to the Grizzlies. Is it just a matter of time before Rasheed Wallace, Damon Stoudamire, Ruben Patterson, Qyntel Woods and even Zach Randolph are kicked to the curb as well?

After years of suffering through player misbehavior on and off the court, Blazers GM John Nash finally found someone willing to take one of their troublemakers off their hands. The surprise is that it's, of all people, Jerry West and Hubie Brown.

West and Brown, who have as low of a tolerance for nonsense as any GM and coach in the league, now have a player spits on players, flips off the fans, cusses out the head coach and then blacks out after it's all over and can't remember a thing -- but hey, at least he isn't a drug user like many of the other Blazers malcontents.

The move was exactly what Nash has been searching for a while. Nash told Insider just a few weeks ago that he had plenty of opportunities to trade Wells and other Blazers problem children, but he refused to take back players with baggage or players with bad contracts in return.

"I could've pulled the trigger on a number of deals that brought back players with baggage," Nash told Insider on November 11. "But what's the point? It's a self-defeating exercise."

"Teams tend not to want to send you a quality player with a short term contract and great character and get back a guy with baggage and a long-term deal in return," Nash said. "It doesn't happen very often."

Person is not only considered a good soldier, but his $7.7 million salary comes off the books this summer. Wells has two more years remaining on his deal.

West actually paid a pretty high price for Wells. In addition to Person, the Grizzlies gave up their 2004 first round pick and $1 million to get Wells. The first round pick is top-three protected next year and top-one protected in 2005, but it's still a high price to pay for a guy who appeared to be untradeable just a week ago.

All of this begs the question, if Nash can get that type of ransom for Wells, a good player with questionable character having a lousy season, what can get for the rest of the Bad News Blazers?

Trading Bonzi is like swapping the furniture out of a house infested with termites. If Nash is going to get the Blazers back on track, that won't be enough. He's going to have to tear down the whole building.

Randolph is playing like an All-Star but a recent bust for driving under the influence has tarnished an already unsavory rep. Wallace is still flaky, but he's flourished since he was moved to small forward and his salary comes off the books next year. Despite recent drug busts, Stoudamire has put up his best numbers since his first year with the Blazers and Woods still evokes comparisons to a young Tracy McGrady. Patterson, however, is probably hopeless unless Nash can find a way to package him with Randolph or Woods.

Don't get your hopes up too high Blazers fans. Nash is also feeling the pressure from owner Paul Allen to win. Allen doesn't want the team to miss their 22nd consecutive playoff appearance. And Nash doesn't think Blazers fans can handle full blown rebuilding.

"I'm not anxious to rip this team apart and plummet to the bottom just to have choir boys on the roster," Nash told Insider. "As upset as the fans are with player behavior, fans are anxious to see success. All fans want instant gratification. But our fans have enjoyed 21 consecutive appearances in the playoffs. They don't understand the pain of rebuilding. I don't think they want to. ... All of these small problems tend to create a level of angst that is a little unrealistic."

Losing Wells won't squash the Blazers playoff chances this year. Person, Jeff McInnis and, when he's healthy, Derek Anderson can fill in just fine. Losing anyone else in the core may make that goal unachievable.

While Nash could surely get a high price for Randolph or Woods, the team isn't ready to give up yet on their young players. Nash flirted with trading Wallace to New Jersey and Toronto this summer, but he was only willing to do it if a team took Patterson along with him. Stoudamire will be a tradeable commodity next year when he moves into the last year of his contract.

Expect Nash to sit back for a week or two and see if the shakeup has the intended effect. After years of threats, the Blazers finally made good on one and shipped a troublemaker out of town? Will the rest of the Blazers get the message?

If they don't Nash will be faced yet again with a troublesome dilemma -- is it better to be good with bad players or bad with good players? For the first time in a long time, the Blazers chose the latter. It's up to the rest of team to decide whether it will become a trend.

The Bandit
12-03-2003, 08:04 PM
I wonder if Sheed will clean up his act at least a little now that his partner in crime is gone.

LRB
12-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by: The Bandit
I wonder if Sheed will clean up his act at least a little now that his partner in crime is gone.

What the JailBlazers still have Stoudamire, Randolph, and Patterson. Those three alone could lead the Pope astray.

grndmstr_c
12-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by: LRB

Originally posted by: The Bandit

What the JailBlazers still have Stoudamire, Randolph, and Patterson. Those three alone could lead the Pope astray.

They could probably help him out with that glaucoma.

MavsFanFinley
12-03-2003, 08:28 PM
I laughed when I first read this on the yahoo sports page.

Shows you how desperate the Blazers were to get rid of one of the problem children.

Simon2
12-03-2003, 10:19 PM
Man, that Memphis is getting better and better.

Nash13
12-03-2003, 10:27 PM
This is a lot better for Portland than it is to Memphis. Portland not only got a decent player in Person, but they could make more room for Derek Anderson.

Also, James Posey and Bonzi Wells on the same team? Hubie Brown will definitely have his work cut out for him.

dirkformvp
12-04-2003, 07:30 PM
i think it worked out for both teams, wesley person is a decent player and then portland got rid of bonzi whose always in trouble with the law