PDA

View Full Version : Rasheed Wallace Public Butthead #1

veruca salt
12-04-2003, 08:02 PM
This is disgraceful. I am absolutely gobsmacked by this.

Hazardous material shipped out

12/04/03

Canzano: Nash deserves praise

T he trade isn't about payroll or talent.

It's about peace.

Hurricane Bonzi is gone.

Trail Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks can tear the plywood off his boarded-up, burning ears. Fans can tell their children it's safe to look toward the Blazers bench again. Spit no longer falls like rain inside the Rose Garden.

Bonzi Wells was traded Wednesday to Memphis for guard Wesley Person and a draft pick. Grizzlies fans calling into one Tennessee radio station were split.

Half of them said Wells was a budding superstar. The other half thought Wells was nothing more than a role player.

They really have no idea what this trade is about.

But we all know better.

We've seen Wells make obscene gestures at fans. We've heard him lash out at his coach -- on four occasions. We've watched Wells sulk, whine and be selfish.

During the Blazers' come-from-behind overtime victory over Sacramento last month, Wells pouted coming out of an overtime timeout when a play wasn't designed for him.

Then, he took the shot anyway.

All this after Wells sang an offseason sob story about wanting people to love him and his children to look up to him.

Wells is going to love Beale Street, where the blues are played every night.

The draft pick obtained in the deal probably will come next year and fall somewhere between No. 4 and No. 13. And with Person's contract expiring at the end of the season, Portland's payroll (even after signing two first-round picks) would be about $53 million next season.

That figure will probably put Portland under the luxury tax threshold two seasons after having a $109 million payroll.

But really, this trade was never about money.

It's not about talent, either.

It's about peace.

Wells refused to treat Cheeks, teammates or fans with respect. He couldn't coexist with anyone. So, the Blazers shipped Wells out.

The trade gives Cheeks peace. It gives fans peace. It even gives Wells a peaceful reprieve from the Rose Garden boos, although he earned them.

The biggest advantage to this trade, the Blazers' dirty little secret, is that they hope this trade even gives Rasheed Wallace a little peace.

Wells was Wallace's No. 1 sycophant. He's Wallace's headbanded sidekick. And by breaking up that duo, the Blazers busted up a budding mutiny.

As they were leaving the practice facility Wednesday, the morning of their final shootaround together, Wells and Wallace saw Ruben Boumtje Boumtje shooting jump shots some 100 feet away with his back turned to them.

Wallace slapped Wells on the back and said, "Watch this." Then he picked up a ball, reared back and fired a 100-foot, baseball-style strike that left Boumtje Boumtje writhing the floor. Trainers were summoned. After a few scary minutes, Boumtje Boumtje walked off, OK.

Wells and Wallace?

They giggled like schoolchildren and ran away the moment their teammate hit the canvas.

So, Grizzlies fans, this is what you're really getting in the deal.

A follower.

To Blazers general manager John Nash, we say great trade. To Wells, we say good riddance. To Memphis, we say, sorry and good luck.

"We had other offers, but this was the best one," Nash said.

When Nash told Wells two weeks ago that he was trade bait, Wells requested a trade to Indiana. Nash contacted the Pacers, but they didn't view Wells as a valuable enough commodity.

Then again, Wells is from Indiana. The Pacers probably know him.

Those who are unfamiliar with Wells' combustible personality and his recent performance will view this as a franchise giving up on a young, talented player who wasn't shooting well. Really though, Wells gave the Blazers no choice.

The Blazers are better off without him.

If Wells behaves himself and averages 20 points and Person struggles to find his outside shot, the perspective will not change.

But right now the Blazers are giving peace -- and their future -- a chance.

John Canzano: 503-294-5065; johncanzano@aol.com

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/1070542984113660.xml

grndmstr_c
12-04-2003, 08:08 PM

grndmstr_c
12-04-2003, 08:08 PM
That's all I have to say about that.

dirkformvp
12-04-2003, 08:11 PM
there is raelly nothing you can say about him being the #1 butthead, all i can do is agree with that

mercury_rev
12-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Wallace isn't going to be fined or suspended for this? If not, _that_ would be outrageous too.

LRB
12-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Buttwipe is more like it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

dirkformvp
12-04-2003, 08:17 PM
well that is like a synonym for butthead so there still isnt anything to say

Walkerforthree
12-04-2003, 09:28 PM
wtf is wrong with him?? What an arse!

dirkformvp
12-04-2003, 09:32 PM
well he is a ball hog with a sorry attitude so it really doesnt matter, and he's not on our team so we have nothing to lose.

bogey
12-05-2003, 01:14 AM
Neither Wallace nor Wells are worth the shitpaper Ruben Boumtje Boumtje wipes his ass with.

LRB
12-05-2003, 09:14 AM
Anybody still want to trade for Rasheed?

kg_veteran
12-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by: LRB

I guess I'm in the minority here, because I'd trade for Wallace. I'd send Jamison and Fortson for Wallace in a heartbeat.

LRB
12-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

Originally posted by: LRB

I guess I'm in the minority here, because I'd trade for Wallace. I'd send Jamison and Fortson for Wallace in a heartbeat.

I just don't think that a balless wonder like Nellie could control someone like Wallace. For sure he has talent, but he needs the threat of a large shoe being forcibly shoved up his ass to keep him in line. Now if we had say Jerry Sloan or Bill Parcells or someone like that as coach it might be a different story.

kg_veteran
12-05-2003, 10:28 AM
I think that it'd be worth a try.

TripleDipping
12-05-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I think that it'd be worth a try.

I was a big Wallace fan few years back and was so sure that he was gonna become a superstar by now. Well, not only he's not a superstar (not that he can't be, it's that he doesn't want to be), he's also turning out to be a childish guy with a few screws loose up stairs.
Would he have helped if he played in Dallas? Sure... just as much as Walker or Jamison can. I just don't see how much better he is compared to Antoine and Antawn. Plus all the weed-smoking, ball-hurling problems he's gonna bring, I think I'll pass.

Big_Dog
12-05-2003, 07:05 PM
i would love to have him playing for the mavs if it weren´t for his "charming" personality...

MavKikiNYC
12-06-2003, 12:19 PM
Re Wallace as a Maverick--think long, think hard. In a basketball sense.

"I'D RATHER BE EDDIE NOT 'SHEED"
The Growing Irrelevance of Rasheed Wallace

By Ric Bucher
ESPN the Magazine

The difference between Rasheed, left, and Eddie Griffin: Eddie hopes to fulfill his potential.
Rasheed Wallace is free. He can get up in the morning and kiss his wife, play with his three sons or drive to a Portland radio station to host his Saturday night hip-hop show. Later, he can cruise to the Rose Garden to get in some NBA-style exercise. He can do all that, thanks to the Blazers' continuing CTC efficiency, knowing $17 million will come to him by season's end, rounding out an $80 million payoff over six years. No one is going to pay him anything like that again, but unless something dramatic happens between now and August, he's sure to find another team with CTC (Rasheed's shorthand for "cut the check") abilities that will let him continue his career next season.

Eddie Griffin, conversely, is not free. No one other than his immediate circle knows where he is, but it has been reported that he was admitted into a Houston hospital for unspecified treatment since a preseason incident at his home that has since resulted in felony charges being filed against him. His NBA career is in jeopardy, since the Rockets opted not to extend the three-year, $9,422,965 contract he signed as the No. 7 pick. A near $9.5 million starter's kit no doubt sounds like a life's worth of financial stability to the average Joe, but said Joe isn't expected to keep up NBA appearances or take care of extended family and friends in perpetuity. Said Joe also isn't getting that bankroll as a early 20-something, when EF Hutton is little more than a cute commercial. I don't know about you, but fiscal prudence for me in my 20s was hitting dollar-draft night or returning the keg on time.

So why, if forced to choose between 'Sheed's or Eddie's life, would I roll the dice with the 20-year-old's bleak prospects? It has to do with hope. Eddie still has one.

For anyone who already filed away Wallace as a lost cause, my apologies. I've always had high regard for 'Sheed's combination of being able to run the floor, hold his spot in the post, shoot with range, defend both bigs and smalls and get teammates open shots. I saw someone who punished Kevin Garnett inside, took Tim Duncan outside, outmuscled Chris Webber and reminded Jermaine O'Neal who raised him. Debate all you want about who the best power forward in the game is. I always knew who it should be.

Having seen Wallace with his family and teammates, I figured one day that generous, somewhat shy guy would consume the crazy-eyed dude collecting technicals and losing focus. One day, I thought, he'll realize what he has and that time doesn't stand still and make the most of it.

It's hard to envision that day now. A guy saying he just cares about getting paid is a long way from the 'Sheed who wore practice shorts under his jeans just in case he saw a pick-up game. The CTC 'Sheed isn't the same one who told me, "Real ballers don't golf," when I asked if he'd ever swung a club.

It's not that he doesn't still have all that talent and versatility. He continues to put together nice-looking boxscore lines without breaking a sweat. It's how irrelevant he has become, on every front. He's 29, in what should be the prime of his career. Instead, his last All-Star appearance is two years behind him and his days as a go-to guy at crunchtime are over. His 7.7 rebounds are misleading because he's also averaging 40-plus minutes and anything less than a rebound every four minutes is sub-par for a power forward. He's also only shooting a free throw every 10 minutes, which diminishes the value of his 17.8 scoring average.

When Wallace went off inexplicably in a previous game, cameras caught a player on the opposing bench glancing at a teammate and either holding an imaginary joint to his lips or playing the world's smallest kazoo.

The Blazers, of course, know all this. They have a team of bad acts and no leadership, reflected by their winless road record and horrendous defense, which are usually the earmarks of young, inexperienced squads. They have wasted no time in trumpeting that Zach Randolph is their best player, their go-to guy and lone franchise cornerstone. Meanwhile, 'Sheed has been in several trade scenarios -- all of them legit -- and the Blazers are open to letting him walk this summer if they can't deal him.

Wallace doesn't even register with the referees anymore. In a game last week against the Rockets, he chewed on the officials, particularly Bill Kennedy, the entire night. They listened, partly amused and partly puzzled, and didn't even bother to T him. When Wallace went off inexplicably in a previous game, cameras caught a player on the opposing bench glancing at a teammate and either holding an imaginary joint to his lips or playing the world's smallest kazoo.

Even his beloved attachment to all things Philly has lost some of its luster. Qyntel Woods taunted Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley during the final minutes of the Rockets' loss, prompting Mobley to go looking for Woods after the final horn. Wallace bearhugged Mobley from behind and kept whispering in his ear, "It's me, Cat! It's me!" as Mobley struggled to break free. With Wallace and Mobley both being from Philadelphia, Wallace played the homeboy card. Mobley could have cared less, insisting Wallace get off him and refusing to acknowledge 'Sheed even as he walked off the court.

Later, in the Blazers' locker room, Ruben Patterson cackled when Rasheed swept by a camera crew. "You should know better than to try to interview him," Patterson said. Wallace paused at the locker room door and, before walking out, shouted angrily, "No one (expletive) asked you, Ruben!"

Patterson smiled and continued getting dressed.

And that's just it -- no one really cares anymore what Rasheed does. He can squander his talent however he chooses. He can shoot 3s whenever the mood strikes him. He can loaf on D or pick up costly fouls. He's already had his share of off-the-court scrapes, but nothing his bankroll couldn't resolve.

Griffin, though, has no such luxury -- or bankroll. If he wants to regain his freedom, much less resume his career, he's apparently going to have to make some changes. The good part is he has both legal and economic daggers at his back as motivation and he's only 20. He may never match 'Sheed's All-Star appearances or max contract, but he has something that Wallace doesn't -- a chance still to overcome his difficulties, rather than be marginalized by them.

Some guys just have all the luck.

Dirkenstien
12-06-2003, 03:05 PM
I wouldnt want either Wallace or Wells, or anyone with a crappy attitude such as these two portray on our team. The chemistry would be completely ruined.