PDA

View Full Version : list of players that WOULD NOT be given up for Dirk

LAM0015
03-15-2001, 08:18 AM
Norm Hitzges made up a list of players that their teams would not trad for Dirk around the NBA. It's a very short list:
Shaq
Vince Carter
Tracy Mcgrady
Allen Inverson
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Chris Webber

I pretty much agree with the list. It just shows how far he's come and how tremendous a player he is and will be.
Salaries were not taken into consideration. He also was assuming that Webber would resign with Sacramento.

madape
03-15-2001, 08:25 AM
On Webber, I can guaruntee you that if Sac was forced to do a sign and trade this summer, they would take Dirk in a trade. But norm was right, if the Kings were able to convince Webber to stay, I doubt they would trade him for anyone in the league. And Iverson, weren't there some rumors of him being on the trade block last summer? I think Lary was shopping him. I can see Brown losing his cool and offering him around the league again, couldn't you?

LAM0015
03-15-2001, 08:32 AM
i think philadelphia has fallen in love with allen iverson

Evilmav2
03-15-2001, 05:47 PM
Iverson was definetely being shopped this Summer...

Najera1441
03-15-2001, 06:05 PM
I think Iverson will be in philly for a long time, I think philly will do anything to keep him

Evilmav2
03-15-2001, 06:30 PM
He will never be traded now, but he almost was this Summer...

dallmav
03-15-2001, 06:35 PM
I wouldnt want McGrady or Carter on the Mavericks anyways, Those two guys are very selfish and feel that they need to be the focus of attention.

Najera1441
03-15-2001, 07:24 PM
I don't care for Mcgrady, but I would not mind seeing Carter in a Mavs Uni, I be willing to part with one of the Big Four to see him come to dallas, plus I dont think he wants to stay in Toronto his whole carre.er

dallmav
03-15-2001, 07:50 PM
I think that Carter will be out of toronto as soon as possible. He is a miserable person there. Of course he is playing for a bad team.

djb
03-15-2001, 07:53 PM
Once Carter says he's leaving, Cuban and Nellie better start devising a way to get Davis ASAP!

Air Carter to Decide Soon? According to Bloomberg, The Toronto Raptors won't have to wait long to find out whether franchise player Vince Carter will remain with the team or become a free agent, Carter and his mother said. ``Vince will make his decision as early as he possibly can so we and everybody else in the league can move on,'' Carter's mother, Michelle, said during her son's appearance at the NBA Store in New York on Wednesday night. ``I can't tell you what the exact date is, but it will be made as early as possible.'' By making his intentions known sooner rather than later, Michelle Carter said they hope to avoid the patience-frazzling daily interrogations that players like Sacramento's soon-to-be free agent Chris Webber have endured. ``I'll tell you this -- it's not going to be a circus like it has been for some other players,'' said Michelle Carter, sitting next to her son, an All-Star forward and former slam-dunk champion.

Source: NBAtalk Rumors (http://www.sportstalk.com/nba/rumors/index.shtml)

Evilmav2
03-15-2001, 11:38 PM
Uniquely informed sources have confirmed the interest in Davis... If it can happen, it probably will... One of my favorite NBA players, Dale Davis is also someone who has been mentioned in interviews during the last year... I don't know if Portland would be foolish enough to send him to a Western conference opponent though...

IZZO
03-16-2001, 01:06 AM
stay away from dale davis..he'll cost too much for what you'll get. next year, the mavs are already going to be loaded at the forward and center positions. no reason to bring him in

djb
03-16-2001, 01:12 AM
Portland would probably want a lot in return for Davis. He's locked up for a few more years and they like having him on their bench.

IZZO
03-19-2001, 02:13 PM
Keep dirk..end of story

WurzburgBorn
08-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Norm Hitzges made up a list of players that their teams would not trade for Dirk around the NBA. It's a very short list:
Shaq
Vince Carter
Tracy Mcgrady
Allen Inverson
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Chris Webber

I pretty much agree with the list. It just shows how far he's come and how tremendous a player he is and will be.
Salaries were not taken into consideration. He also was assuming that Webber would resign with Sacramento.

That post was from March 15, 2001.

What's the list look like now?

LeBron James, Dwayne Wade

Anybody else?

Thespiralgoeson
08-04-2006, 10:42 PM
That's it for me, LeBron and Wade. Kobe is a better player, he's well... Kobe.

Drbio
08-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Wow...talk about a blast from the past.

Where the heck is murph (Lamoo) these days anyways?

WurzburgBorn
08-04-2006, 10:48 PM
That's it for me, LeBron and Wade. Kobe is a better player, he's well... Kobe.

I agree about Kobe. I was thinking someone might argue Bosh.

If a team with realistic present day title contention had Bosh, trading for Dirk would work. But Toronto doesn't have that now, so I think it's possible they would not trade Bosh for Dirk, because Bosh still has the potential to get a lot better.

mary
08-04-2006, 10:53 PM
That post was from March 15, 2001.

What's the list look like now?

LeBron James, Dwayne Wade

Anybody else?

I think you can still put Timmah on that list.

**ducks**

fluid.forty.one
08-04-2006, 11:00 PM
I'd have to agree with you mary, don't think the spurs would trade them straight up.

But I don't think Dallas would do that deal either.

mavs413
08-04-2006, 11:01 PM
LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Duncan, Anthony for sure.
Maybe Howard and Paul too?

some-dude
08-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Cavs wont trade Lebron for Dirk.
Lakers wont trade Kobe for Dirk.
Spurs wont trade Duncan for Dirk.
Heat won't trade Wade for Dirk.
Nuggets won't trade Carmelo for Dirk.
Magic wont trade Howard for Dirk.
Raptors wont trade Bosh for Dirk.
Clippers won't trade Brand for Dirk.
Hornets won't trade Paul for Dirk.
-------------

Maybe Rockets trade Yao for Dirk.
Maybe Wizards trade Arenas for Dirk.
Maybe Jazz trade Kirilenko for Dirk.
Maybe t-Wolves trade Garnett for Dirk.

Dirk is probably better than 80% of these players, but I don't see teams making the trade straight up for Dirk mostly for reasons of being younger and having huge upside.

I think all the other teams would trade anyone on their roster straight up for Dirk.

G-Man
08-04-2006, 11:31 PM
OK, Lebron and Wade are givens... youth means a lot.

Try doing the list for next year, 1 year only, taking age and the future out of the equation. Who's play next season would you trade for Dirks?

Starting with Some Dude's list...

Hornets won't trade Paul for Dirk

I think its just LeBron and Kobe, and maybe throw in Nash. Wade had 3 better games at crunch time, but for last year, Dirk was the better player, and probably will be this year too. Get him Wade's ref love, and it wouldn't even be close. The only other guy on that list likely to match Dirk's effectiveness for 82 games is a totally healthy Duncan. Iverson will score more, but he won't make his team win. All those other "won't trades" are based on the hope that in the future they will eclipse the German. I expect almost all will be disappointed, just like almost all those 2001 teams, in hindsight, would have been better off with Dirk than these guys.

Vince Carter
Tracy Mcgrady
Allen Inverson

Kevin Garnett
Chris Webber

Thats damned impressive, that Dirk passed all the 2001 superstars, and with 2 or 3 exceptions is better than all the current ones.

fluid.forty.one
08-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Sorry but that list is way too huge.

Paul, Lebron, Wade, and Kobe (only because he calls the shots).

some-dude
08-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Sorry but that list is way too huge.

Paul, Lebron, Wade, and Kobe (only because he calls the shots).

Maybe, but it's the truth. Howard is what 20 years old and already putting up 18-13 a game.....Bosh is 21 getting 20-9 and since both teams are rebuilding, they wont trade them since they believe they can be better than Dirk in the long-run (which may or may not be true.) Clippers would probably take Brand over Dirk, and Nuggets are very high on Carmelo this year to join the likes on Lebron and Wade.

Now based strictly on next year, not taking in youth or upside into equation.........players that their teams wont trade for Dirk.

Kobe
Wade
Lebron
Duncan

WurzburgBorn
08-05-2006, 12:11 AM
some-dude,

You're totally right to make the distinction between whether or not we're talking about next year or for the future generally.

If we're just talking about for next year, I'd say only Wade and LeBron, maybe Duncan
If we're talking about for the foreseeable future, I'd accept your additions of Carmelo, Howard, Bosh, and Paul based on their potential growth.

But under both scenarios, I'd rather have Dirk than Kobe, or Brand.
Of course the Spurs, Lakers, or Clippers would not necessarily agree.

sike
08-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Am I wrong in thinking this thread is dumb? Teams very often would not trade their star for another star because their team has been built around the skillset of their star...the other star, though perhaps an even better player, might not fit with the new team nearly as well as the existing star...

Tokey41
08-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Kobe, Bron, Wade, Yao, Howard, Stoudamire and Paul all based on their age and current skills. A lot of teams wouldnt trade a star for a star straight up anyway... they build the team around that specific guys talent. That doesnt mean Dirk isint a better player than what we would be getting in return though they just dont want to find players to surround another star all over again. I wouldnt trade Dirk right now for anyone except Bron.

jthig32
08-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Heh. When I first opened this up, I failed to notice the date, and I thought for a split second that Norm had lost his damn mind. :o

some-dude
08-05-2006, 01:16 AM
Heh. When I first opened this up, I failed to notice the date, and I thought for a split second that Norm had lost his damn mind. :o

lol, same here...I thought to myself "Chris Webber" WTF?!?!!?:eek:

Thespiralgoeson
08-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Dirk > Duncan

jthig32
08-05-2006, 07:32 AM
Dirk > Duncan

mmmm. I don't think so. Not when you bring defense into the equation. The Spurs can play Duncan in the middle by himself and let him anchor their defense. This allows them to play another offensive threat at another position.

Dirk still needs a big next to him to shut down the rim. He's simply not capable of doing it himself.

I think that gives Duncan the edge over Dirk for now.

sike
08-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Dirk > Duncan
I tend to agree based upon how many more palyers there are in the league who can guard Timmy at least on a semi-successful level compared to the one or two that can guard Dirk well. Dirk is by far the more deadly offensive weapon, on any given night can grab just as many boards as Tim...and is not as bad a defender as most would have us believe...Dirk is the matchup problem of the era...While Duncan is a really great power forward, the more traditional nature of his game makes him easier to game plan for...and lets not kid ourselves, Duncan has profited greatly from being in Pops system...just as much as Dirk has from Nellie and now to a lesser dagree AJ's.

So, in short, I would take Dirk over Duncan.

alby
08-05-2006, 12:15 PM
lebron, wade, dwight howard

jthig32
08-05-2006, 12:37 PM
I tend to agree based upon how many more palyers there are in the league who can guard Timmy at least on a semi-successful level compared to the one or two that can guard Dirk well. Dirk is by far the more deadly offensive weapon, on any given night can grab just as many boards as Tim...and is not as bad a defender as most would have us believe...Dirk is the matchup problem of the era...While Duncan is a really great power forward, the more traditional nature of his game makes him easier to game plan for...and lets not kid ourselves, Duncan has profited greatly from being in Pops system...just as much as Dirk has from Nellie and now to a lesser dagree AJ's.

So, in short, I would take Dirk over Duncan.

Gotta disagree with you here Sike. Yes, Dirk is more untraditional, and perhaps a better overall offensive player. But Duncan's abilities in the low block makes life easier for his teammates. Being doubled while on the low block creates better shot opportunites than being doubled at the elbow. Let's not forget how hard it was for us to take advantage of the defense Miami threw at Dirk.

And while Dirk is not terrible defensively anymore, Dunan is an elite defender, and as I said above, can anchor a team's defense in the post. Can you imagine how good an offense the Mavs would have if they didn't have to play Diop/Damp, but could rather play Dirk at center and trust him to anchor their defense?

SeriousSummer
08-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Bryant
Wade
Lebron James
Yao
Duncan

Only five. And I'd have to think carefully about every one of them--because if I'm pushed, I might do it.

fluid.forty.one
08-05-2006, 02:18 PM
I think the question is...

Who would YOU trade dirk for straight up from a mavericks standpoint?

Just211
08-05-2006, 08:13 PM
I think you have to take KG off the list of people you wouldn't trade for Dirk. I bet Minny would do it

jayC
08-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Dwight Howard is a double double machine. Greater than Dirk hell no. All NBA first team for the second year in a row that says it all for me.

Tokey41
08-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Howard has a very bright future and may be the next Stoudamire minus the microfracture surgery. I'm really excited to see him grow his offensive game since his defense seems to be above average already. Im just glad hes in the East... and I might even trade him for Dirk too... so Bron and Howard would be the only ones given our current roster. I would consider Yao, Wade, and Paul if we werent so stacked for guards right now and didnt have some young developing centers. Not Tim though, they are pretty close as players but I think Dirk just suits us more (obviously) and he will keep getting better because hes a workhorse whereas I have no idea about Duncan based off of last where he was pretty bad stats wise.

nashtymavsfan13
08-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Kobe
Wade
Lebron

Those are the only three imho that wouldn't do a straight up deal for Dirk.

Flacolaco
08-06-2006, 04:08 AM
-------------

Dirk is probably better than 80% of these players, but I don't see teams making the trade straight up for Dirk mostly for reasons of being younger and having huge upside.

I think all the other teams would trade anyone on their roster straight up for Dirk.

LOL.

comedy gold.

nashtymavsfan13
08-06-2006, 02:00 PM
-------------

The Clippers would trade Brand for Dirk, the Wolves would trade KG for Dirk, and the Wizards would trade Arenas for Dirk.

kingmalaki
08-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Off the top of my head:

Wade
Lebron
Yao
Garnett
Duncan
Kobe
Shaq
Bosh & Howard (their teams love their upside too much)

spreedom
08-09-2006, 03:26 AM
I think this list is pretty good:
LeBron
Duncan
Kobe
Wade
Melo
Bosh
Howard

And I think that's about it. Granted, Dirk is better than most of those guys (all of them but Kobe IMO) but I feel like at the end of their careers, Dwight Howard will be a better player.

nashtymavsfan13
08-09-2006, 03:55 AM
Off the top of my head:

Wade
Lebron
Yao
Garnett
Duncan
Kobe
Shaq
Bosh & Howard (their teams love their upside too much)

I definetly think the Heat would trade Shaq for Dirk.

nashtymavsfan13
08-09-2006, 03:57 AM
I think this list is pretty good:
LeBron
Duncan
Kobe
Wade
Melo
Bosh
Howard

And I think that's about it. Granted, Dirk is better than most of those guys (all of them but Kobe IMO) but I feel like at the end of their careers, Dwight Howard will be a better player.

This looks pretty good, I would agree that Dirk is better than all of them with the exception of Lebron and Kobe. I failed to think about just because Dirk is better than them doesn't neccesarily mean the team would make the trade.

EricaLubarsky
08-09-2006, 04:40 AM
SnT for Robert Traylor?

alby
08-09-2006, 12:21 PM
where is tractor nowadays