PDA

View Full Version : Darko in tonight's game against Cleveland

rakesh.s
12-12-2003, 01:08 AM
did anyone catch him in the last minute of the game?

they ran two plays for him and the first, he threw up a soft floater and got rejected by Ilgauskas(hardly a shot blocker) and the second possession, the rim rejected him...he blew a dunk

it looked really really akward..almost like he couldn't jump high enough to throw it down

MavKikiNYC
12-12-2003, 06:49 AM
it looked really really akward..almost like he couldn't jump high enough to throw it down

Yeah, I bet that's it.

Blonde Bomber
12-12-2003, 09:07 AM
Detroit made a HORRIBLE mistake in taking this guy. They totally bought into the hype. I could remember when the lottery went down and the Pistons were able to land the 2nd pick and I was thinking to myself that they were going to to add Carmelo Anthony to that allready potent lineup. This will go down in history as one of the WORST picks especially when you had a NO BRAINER pick in Anthony sitting right there.

Time will tell if Darko amounts to anything, but the forcast doesn't look good.

mary
12-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
Detroit made a HORRIBLE mistake in taking this guy. They totally bought into the hype. I could remember when the lottery went down and the Pistons were able to land the 2nd pick and I was thinking to myself that they were going to to add Carmelo Anthony to that allready potent lineup. This will go down in history as one of the WORST picks especially when you had a NO BRAINER pick in Anthony sitting right there.

The guy's played a total of 17 minutes in the regular season.

Is that really enough to make any credible assessment?

So he blew a floater and dunk in a game he played 1 minute in. At least he has the excuse of being a rook.

Chicago JK
12-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by: mary

Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber

The guy's played a total of 17 minutes in the regular season.

Is that really enough to make any credible assessment?

So he blew a floater and dunk in a game he played 1 minute in. At least he has the excuse of being a rook.

Good observation. There were a lot of very credible basketball decision makers who were absolutely sold on this kid. It was mistake for anyone to think he would make a contribution this year. Carmello has played better than I expected so this should be an interesting debate revisited in 3 years. Jermaine O'neal looked like a bust early in his career too. Having Larry Brown with this kid will help too. Larry will be on this kid for three years straight. If he can live through the pain of development, larry may actually have a foreign kid who likes dishing out contact. Lets give him some time.

Big_Dog
12-12-2003, 02:55 PM
hope this kid gets his game going, hes got so much potential... i read hes having a little culture shock, moving to the USA from war-torn Yugoslavia, it must be a factor.

dirno2000
12-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Funny quote from the Piston's board:

[/quote]Sometimes you just have to give credit to the opponent for making a nice play. I mean, the rim really stood its ground and got a good piece of that ball. Great play by the rim.[/quote]

Apparantly Darko was not happy about being in during garbage time.

[/quote]''I wanted to see if he acted like he belonged,'' Pistons coach Larry Brown said. ``He acted like he was insulted.''[/quote]

kg_veteran
12-12-2003, 03:21 PM
All I know is, there were a lot of people saying that drafting Dirk Nowitzki was a mistake too, because Paul Pierce was available. Pierce is a great player, but I don't think anybody believes that it's a mistake now.

My point? Let some time pass before you declare Milicic a failure. He's 18 friggin' years old, and he's been in the league about 6-7 weeks.

mary
12-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by: kg_veteranAll I know is, there were a lot of people saying that drafting Dirk Nowitzki was a mistake too, because Paul Pierce was available.

Exactly. Along those same lines, here's an old editorial snippet from that blessed summer.

Winners and losers at the '98 draft

by Dan Shanoff

Posted: Thu June 25, 1998

Winners: The Bucks

After trading away No. 4 draft-pick Stephon Marbury last year, the Bucks get it right in '98 by stealing the marketable and talented Robert Traylor from the Mavs for an overhyped foreign prospect

Big Boy Laroux
12-12-2003, 06:54 PM
ha ha. mary that is a great quote. Tremendous.

Rhylan
12-13-2003, 01:38 AM
I felt bad for Darko last night, man. Seriously! Poor kid got rejected by the rim and hung his head... you gotta root for an 18 year old kid who just got his driver's license the other day. I'm not gonna diss him. He's my dark horse, now.

Rod1975
12-13-2003, 04:12 AM
Darko scored his first points on a half left hook in the lane in the garbage time last night against the Sonics. The monkey is off his back.

mary
12-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Darko scored his first points on a half left hook in the lane in the garbage time last night against the Sonics. The monkey is off his back.

Yep, the Sonics were blowing them out big time and on the very next possession, when Darko really wanted to shoot the ball again, they double-team him. Poor guy!

sike
12-13-2003, 11:26 AM
I have made it one of my goals in life to root for anyone named Darko at any cost!i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Dirkenstien
12-13-2003, 03:17 PM
That little hook shot was pretty too..he was getting pretty physical with the guys double teaming him..I think he'll be a great player but he just needs some time. I'm glad I got to see him make the first shot of his NBA career.

mavsfanforever
12-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Melo struggled in first few games too. Darko went to a team where there are plenty of potential all stars and thus it is difficult to buy minutes. But Larry is great coach and knows what he is doing. Melo is the go to guy on his team and thus the #s would definitely be better than Darko.

Walkerforthree
12-14-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
All I know is, there were a lot of people saying that drafting Dirk Nowitzki was a mistake too, because Paul Pierce was available. Pierce is a great player, but I don't think anybody believes that it's a mistake now.

My point? Let some time pass before you declare Milicic a failure. He's 18 friggin' years old, and he's been in the league about 6-7 weeks.

i dk, dirk is a average player i thought? You think Walker is better then him, well then you damn well ought to think Pierce is better.