PDA

View Full Version : DAL/SEA


Speedy
12-13-2003, 01:42 PM
I like Charlie Brown's trade and LRB's Utah trade, but I think one team or the other would feel like they are not getting a fair return in terms of talent, team needs, salary and so on. So, does anyone think this could get done, and if you do would you do it from either teams perspective?

Dallas trades: SF Antawn Jamison (14.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.2 apg in 29.2 minutes)
PG Travis Best (3.5 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 2.4 apg in 15.9 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Calvin Booth (6.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 0.6 apg in 21.1 minutes)
SG Brent Barry (12.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 5.1 apg in 33.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +0.6 ppg, +1.8 rpg, and +2.1 apg.

Seattle trades: C Calvin Booth (6.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 0.6 apg in 21.1 minutes)
SG Brent Barry (12.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 5.1 apg in 33.9 minutes)
Seattle receives: SF Antawn Jamison (14.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.2 apg in 19 games)
PG Travis Best (3.5 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 2.4 apg in 19 games)
Change in team outlook: -0.6 ppg, -1.8 rpg, and -2.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Dallas: Loses inside scoring and rebounding off the bench and back-up for Nash. Gains outside and inside scoring and rebounding with a few blocked shots, tall spare to plug in at center that is familiar with Nelson"s system, back-up for nash who shoots lights out and can take it to the hole with a dunk instead of a possible missed layup.

Seattle: Loses inside and outside scoring, rebounding, and a few blocked shots, but also losing a gaurd in the last year of his contract who may sign with some other team and a center who has not met expectations since his signing. Gains inside scoring and rebounding from a young all-star caliber SF/PF who could start at PF in there lineup and give them 20/7 on a consistent basis as well as a veteran PG to help out a young team.

Charlie Brown's trade reminded me of an article I read not to long ago that had Seattle considering trading Barry/Radmonivic/James for Adur-Rahim last year but the Sonics felt like they would be giving up too much. So, in terms of team needs and talent is this trade fair?

Jamisonite
12-13-2003, 01:44 PM
not enough in return for jamison

Blonde Bomber
12-13-2003, 01:51 PM
UHHH are you kidding me. I would do a staright up trade, Jamison for Brent Barry. There is no way Seattle would give us Barry for Jamison. But I would do that deal in a NEW YORK minute. Barry would be an AWESOME additon to this team. The gut shoots lihts outs, hustles his ass off, can create off the dribble and is great at getting his hands on the ball. Barry is one of my favorite players NBA and would love for him to be a Mav. That being said, Seattle would not do that deal.

LRB
12-13-2003, 01:59 PM
I'd do this one.

Speedy
12-13-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
not enough in return for jamison

I can see your point, however the talent gap between AJ and BB in terms of their positions is not that far apart imo. I was just thinking about team needs. Barry gives us nash level talent at the point for 48 min. a game ( not to mention stops the sinking feeling I get when Best or Delk enters the game to play the point). Booth keeps us from having to go small at the center as well as cuts back on Dirk's minutes there. Plus this trade is not a big shake up for a team that looks like it is just now startig to come around. I actually liked what Nelson had Booth doing while he was here.

Dirkenstien
12-13-2003, 02:46 PM
If we could get another center in that..or maybe replace booth with a better center then i would do it because i love BB's game..but we also need to improve our 5 position. Not saying Booth wouldnt do that but i'd probably rather see James acquired because of his tougness

kg_veteran
12-13-2003, 02:48 PM
If you made this trade, look at your rotation:

Fortson/Booth/Bradley 40 - Nowitzki 8
Nowitzki 30 - Walker 18 - Najera
Walker 17 - Howard 31
Finley 33 - Barry 15 - Daniels
Nash 32 - Barry 16 - Delk

You've got a VERY nice 9 man rotation with phenomenal backcourt play, plenty of minutes for young stud Howard, and you really don't play anybody out of position the whole game.

In other words, yeah, I'd do that deal.

Dirkenstien
12-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Dallas trades: PG Travis Best (3.5 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 2.4 apg in 15.9 minutes)
SF Antawn Jamison (14.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.2 apg in 29.2 minutes)
Dallas receives: SG Brent Barry (12.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 5.1 apg in 33.9 minutes)
C Jerome James (4.7 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.2 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -0.8 ppg, -2.2 rpg, and +2.0 apg.

Seattle trades: SG Brent Barry (12.2 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 5.1 apg in 33.9 minutes)
C Jerome James (4.7 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 13.2 minutes)
Seattle receives: PG Travis Best (3.5 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 2.4 apg in 19 games)
SF Antawn Jamison (14.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.2 apg in 19 games)
Change in team outlook: +0.8 ppg, +2.2 rpg, and -2.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

I would be more tempted to do this

grndmstr_c
12-13-2003, 02:56 PM
I'd bet good money that we'd see Fin playing SF a fair amount with that roster. I don't think Nellie could resist playing Nash, Fin, and Barry together. I'd still do the trade, though. Don't think Seattle would, since they've got Lewis, but pairing him with AJ would be a pretty tough matchup for other teams.

Speedy
12-13-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
If we could get another center in that..or maybe replace booth with a better center then i would do it because i love BB's game..but we also need to improve our 5 position. Not saying Booth wouldnt do that but i'd probably rather see James acquired because of his tougness

I hear you. It's just I think gaurd play is essential for a Nelly team, especially one that can shoot at high percentages and distribute the ball given all of the offensive talent we have. We would be getting that in this trade, plus getting a big with out having to give up one (at the center position). If we could get through the season with that and keep our team together in the off-season we could sign Tag or Foyle to fill out our 15 man roster. Bradley/Tag or Foyle/Booth would be a pretty good rotation of height, mass, and shot blocking.

Edit for spelling

Speedy
12-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
If you made this trade, look at your rotation:

Fortson/Booth/Bradley 40 - Nowitzki 8
Nowitzki 30 - Walker 18 - Najera
Walker 17 - Howard 31
Finley 33 - Barry 15 - Daniels
Nash 32 - Barry 16 - Delk

You've got a VERY nice 9 man rotation with phenomenal backcourt play, plenty of minutes for young stud Howard, and you really don't play anybody out of position the whole game.

In other words, yeah, I'd do that deal.

I didn't even think about the over all rotation and minute distribution. That does look nice. Thanks kg.

Charlie Brown
12-13-2003, 05:06 PM
Brent Barry has always been one of my favorite players . . . so of course i'd do this trade . . .

I've seen him play many times and the guy has great court awareness and is more than a capable backup at point or shooting guard. He's really a starter IMO, but i don't think he'd mind playing backup with Dallas.

between Jerome James and Calvin Booth, whoever's the better defensive player i'd take.

I'm sure Seattle would do this trade. they really need a low post player and a team of Allen/Lewis/Jamison is pretty scary.

Simon2
12-13-2003, 05:16 PM
I guess in this trade, Barry plays pg for the Mavs. I've seen play the position and he does well.

Dirkenstien
12-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by: Charlie Brown
Brent Barry has always been one of my favorite players . . . so of course i'd do this trade . . .

I've seen him play many times and the guy has great court awareness and is more than a capable backup at point or shooting guard. He's really a starter IMO, but i don't think he'd mind playing backup with Dallas.

between Jerome James and Calvin Booth, whoever's the better defensive player i'd take.

I'm sure Seattle would do this trade. they really need a low post player and a team of Allen/Lewis/Jamison is pretty scary.

Not to mention "Flip"

I could see Seattle doing this