PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Davis traded to Boston

dirno2000
12-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Cavs Send Davis To Boston

Paul Silas doesn't have to worry about Ricky Davis anymore. Again. The Cavaliers sent Davis, Chris Mihm and Yogi Stewart to the Celtics today for Tony Battie, Eric Williams and Kedrick Brown, reports ESPN Insider Chad Ford.

dirno2000
12-15-2003, 04:03 PM
This should probably go in the NBA section. Feel free to move it.

MavsFanFinley
12-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Awesome trade for the Cavs, but not sure what the Celtics were thinking. Again.

LRB
12-15-2003, 04:09 PM
Damn!!! Damn!!! And Triple Damn!!! This means no Mihm for us. Oh well. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

dirno2000
12-15-2003, 04:10 PM
I think they've seen that Paul Pierce needs another scorer to take the heat off of him.

Chris Mihm is an interesting propect also.

dirno2000
12-15-2003, 04:14 PM
My question for Ainge would be" If O'Brien couldn't rein in Toine's game, how many time per game will Ricky Davis shoot?

grndmstr_c
12-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by: dirno2000
My question for Ainge would be" If O'Brien couldn't rein in Toine's game, how many time per game will Ricky Davis shoot?

No kidding.

MavsFanFinley
12-15-2003, 04:20 PM
I use to like Davis before all his BS antics. I don't think he's good for any team. Especially one making changes and that has a #1 option already. Good steal in Mihm, but I don't like anything else about it.

LRB
12-15-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
I use to like Davis before all his BS antics. I don't think he's good for any team. Especially one making changes and that has a #1 option already. Good steal in Mihm, but I don't like anything else about it.

I'd love to see Ricky on the Flakers. I'm sure some nice chemistry problems could be created. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

MavsFanFinley
12-15-2003, 04:35 PM
What does this do to Welsch now? They put him in the starting lineup and he's produced well. No room for him now with Pierce and Davis.

He's young and can come off the bench, but what a waste there.

seelenjaeger
12-15-2003, 04:35 PM
Actually I like the Boston end of the deal more.

dirno2000
12-15-2003, 04:42 PM
***waits for Ricky Davis to rip Labron on the way out of town***

ames7
12-15-2003, 04:43 PM
Davis definitely needed to be moved & Mihm is quietly having an extremely solid year for him. This will be interesting all right.

bogey
12-15-2003, 04:47 PM
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge has been promising for months that he was going to fill the scoring void left when he traded Antoine Walker to Dallas.

Ainge has made his move.

Two league sources told Insider that the Celtics and Cavaliers have agreed to a trade that will send Ricky Davis, Chris Mihm and Michael Stewart to Boston for Eric Williams, Tony Battie and Kedrick Brown.

The trade is expected to be announced later Monday.

Davis is a scoring machine but has bumped heads with new head coach Paul Silas. Silas coached Davis as a rookie in Charlotte and the two didn't get along, and Silas has grown frustrated with Davis' lack of defensive effort this season.

The trade gives the Cavs three solid defenders to surround LeBron James. In addition, Cleveland creates extra cap flexibility next summer when Williams' contract comes off the books.

The Celtics get a player capable of scoring 20 points a game in Davis as well as big man Mihm, who is playing the best basketball of his career.

MavsFanFinley
12-15-2003, 04:49 PM
Interesting read before the trade.

CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers coach Paul Silas doesn't shy away from talk about trade rumors.

''That's always a possibility,'' he said. ''We're always looking to improve ourselves. We're not actively seeking anything at this point. I tell the guys, ''I love you all, but I'd trade every one of you if it helped my club.''

Discussions with the Miami Heat for guard Eddie Jones have apparently broken down. The Heat might have asked for forward/center Chris Mihm as well as guard Ricky Davis in exchange for Jones. That's where the Cavaliers might have drawn the line.

Davis seems distracted by the trade rumors.

''It's coming,'' he said of a possible trade. ''It's not going away. I just have to deal with it.''

He was totally discombobulated in the 105-98 loss to Boston Saturday. He finished with three points (on 1-of-5 shooting) and a game-high seven turnovers. He did have a team-high eight assists and six rebounds.

Another rumor that won't go away is the Cavaliers sending forward Darius Miles to Minnesota for combo guard Troy Hudson.

The Cavaliers are also reportedly getting an inordinate amount of calls about Miles and Mihm, both restricted free agents at the end of the year. This might be the opportune time to trade Mihm, who is playing the best basketball of his career.

Two other names linked to Cleveland in trade rumors are Orlando's Juwan Howard and Miami's Caron Butler.

More minutes?

Silas was asked if Mihm should be getting more playing time.

''He's been doing great,'' he said. ''I'm getting great production out of (Carlos Boozer and Mihm at power forward). I wish I could find more time for him. In the amount of time he's playing, he's really producing. Sometimes, there is a point of diminishing returns, where he goes all out in the time he gets. If he played more (minutes), we might not get those results.''

Mihm was limited to eight scoreless minutes Saturday. He was in major foul trouble against the Celtics.

''He's been rebounding like a mad man and blocking shots,'' Silas said. ''He's doing a heck of a job.''

uberfan
12-15-2003, 04:51 PM

I sure can see it from Celtics viewpoint, I think Cavs could have gotten more from us for that package, though.

Mihms replaces Raef this year for them. Ricky Davis can certainly play in the East and do well on a new team. Stewart is another younger big body. Next year the have 3 decent centers in Raef, Mihm, and Stewart.

rakesh.s
12-15-2003, 04:51 PM
it still seems like the cavs need to get rid of darius miles and maybe ilgauskas since he doesn't play defense i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif....mihm/diop/battie at center would've been much better for the cavs

i guess we can see lebron scoring at least 20 every night from now on since the ball hog is gone

kg_veteran
12-15-2003, 04:58 PM
To me, this is a terrible trade for Cleveland.

dirno2000
12-15-2003, 05:01 PM
The only justification I can see from the Cleveland perspective is addition by subtraction. Maybe Davis was more disruptive in the locker room than we know. The trade is clearly slanted in Boston's favor talent wise.

madape
12-15-2003, 05:02 PM
Silas sold high on Mihm. I'm not that big on him long-term. Getting someone to bite on Davis and his contract was probably tough.

For what it's worth, I'm glad the Mavs decided not to go after Mihm. We definitely would have had to take on Davis to get him. I don't like the way the salaries match up. It probably would have cost us Finley, and I don't think Mihm is worth that much. I don't think Silas would want Jamison and his questionable low post defense.

Let's be patient. We can find a better option at the five without giving up a major contributor.

madape
12-15-2003, 05:03 PM
Does this mean that Ainge has already given up on Raef?

Maybe that injury is worse than initially reported.

dirno2000
12-15-2003, 05:08 PM
Possibly. He could just be trying to load up on young big men and hoping one develops.

Evilmav2
12-15-2003, 05:16 PM
This is a bad, bad trade for Cleveland. El Busto Battie, Eric Williams, and Kedrick Brown? These guys are spares, never-have-been's, and never-will-be's...

bogey
12-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
To me, this is a terrible trade for Cleveland.

I feel the same way.....Ainge made out on this one.

Big Boy Laroux
12-15-2003, 05:33 PM
much better for boston. maybe boston fans will get off ainge's back now. he shipped off three disappointing players for a pretty good return (at least with mihm and davis). davis can play, he is just an attitude-problem. mihm is not quite as good as raef. he's basically going to take battie's spot. i don't think raef is out by any means.

but this will reduce jiri's minutes. this is an interesting trade, though.

Max Power
12-15-2003, 05:34 PM
The Celts got the most talented player in the trade but he is selfish and may not fit in. If Davis plays to his potential then this was a great trade for the Celts. Otherwise it is a wash.

kg_veteran
12-15-2003, 05:38 PM
Let's be patient. We can find a better option at the five without giving up a major contributor.

I'll bite. Who, and how?

LRB
12-15-2003, 05:50 PM
Boston definitely won on the talent end, but it remains to see if Davis will cause the Celts to have a nuclear meltdown in chemistry. Good thing Ainge is getting some players with great character to replace that malconent Walker. i/expressions/rolleye.gif

madape
12-15-2003, 06:14 PM
It's hard to fault Cleveland for trying ot dump Davis. They are building the team around LeBron. I don't think it's hard to argue that Davis was a less-than complimentary player to him. When it comes right down to it, the Cavs are in still their infancy. Silas and the Paxon Bros obviously want to surround LeBron with well grounded, supporting players who play good defense. Davis doesn't have those kinds of skills. He's a number one scoring option, but not a very good number one scoring option. When you think about it, you really have to question Boston's decision to bring him on. What GM in his right mind would try to rebuild around Ricky Davis?

I'm sure the Cavs would have liked to keep Mihm, but Davis didn't have a spot on this team. He was a distraction, and his contract made him almost untradable on his own. They didn't get any stars back in return. But they did get some solid veterans that Silas can play along side LeBron that should allow him to grow into the superstar he needs to become in order for that franchise to succeed. And with Brown, they have a young two-guard with athleticism and potential similar to Davis, but without the baggage.

I don't know if I like this trade for Cleveland. I guess it all depends on whether Mihm ever amounts to anything other than a decent backup center. But I know why the team made the deal.

Boston on the other hand, makes me scratch my head. I don't see the logic in who they've traded away and who they've traded for. There is no rhyme or reason to their deals. Are they building this team around Pierce? If so, why did they get Davis, a notorious ball hog and egomaniac. Why did they trade for Mihm? Did they panic that Raef's injury would keep him from being the center they thought they needed? Is Mihm really that much of an improvement over Battie? I have a feeling that the Celts are going to get a whole lot worse before they gets better. With the core of crap they've assembled around Pierce, and the contacts they have committed to that crap, I have a feeling they are going to be terrible for a very long time.

madape
12-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran

I'll bite. Who, and how?

This year Hakeem, Sabonis, and Smits would cost us nothing. So would a number of European and NBA veteran big men that I'm sure are on the Mavericks radar. I have a feeling we're holding a roster spot open for one of these types of guys for the playoff run. Just a hunch, though.

Next year we can choose from a myriad of very capable free agents, at least a dozen of which I'd rather have than Mihm.

Mihm isn't even the center I'd want the most on that team. Actually, he probably isn't even my second choice. I love Diop. He'll be a much better player than Mim if he can stay healthy.

But the real question is whether Mihm is really worth Finley and the burden of taking back Ricky Davis? I say HELL no.

grndmstr_c
12-15-2003, 06:27 PM
And as far as the Cavs are concerned, don't forget that they'll be getting Wagner back, who's big PG size and SG mentality are potentially a good match with LeBron. Throw in a couple good defensive role players in Williams and Boozer, and the best offensive center in the Least in Z, and I think they come out of the trade looking good.

kg_veteran
12-15-2003, 06:30 PM
I agree with your Sabonis idea. I just thought you had someone in mind who was likely to be available by trade this year. I know that there's a glut of centers available via FA in the offseason.

As for Diop, he's a project guy at best. I wouldn't mind having him, but wouldn't pay much to get him.

Also, I never suggested trading Finley to get Mihm. If that had been the asking price or if the asking priced had included taking on Davis, I'd have said no.

Walkerforthree
12-15-2003, 06:41 PM

how can you possibly say awesome trade for the Cavs??

WayOutWest
12-15-2003, 06:50 PM
I've read a few comments regarding the impact on Raef in this thread. I thought Raef was done for the season with the knee surgery?

kingrex
12-15-2003, 07:04 PM
this goes to show just how badly Silas wanted Davis outta Cleveland. He gets a couple of journeymen and a serviceable tall guy. Cleveland has a lot more work to do to become good, but as young as Lebron is, time is on their side.

ReDIRKulous
12-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by: kingrex
this goes to show just how badly Silas wanted Davis outta Cleveland. He gets a couple of journeymen and a serviceable tall guy. Cleveland has a lot more work to do to become good, but as young as Lebron is, time is on their side.

I agree. And it was worth anything to get rid of that cancer as long as none of the guys they got back was a cancer.

kingrex
12-15-2003, 07:27 PM
If Ricky Davis is such a head case, who would be in the All-Head Case team?

PG - Ricky Davis (I can't think another guard)
SG - Bonzi Wells
SF - Ron Artest
PF - Rasheed Wallace
C - Roy Tarpley (okay I couldn't think of a better center than this guy).

scorched03
12-15-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by: kingrex
If Ricky Davis is such a head case, who would be in the All-Head Case team?

PG - Ricky Davis (I can't think another guard)
SG - Bonzi Wells
SF - Ron Artest
PF - Rasheed Wallace
C - Roy Tarpley (okay I couldn't think of a better center than this guy).

PG damon stoudamire/jalen rose
SG bonzi wells/artest/chris mills (idiot who pulled a gun on the blazers)
SF latrell choker sprewell/ricky davis/eddie griffin/qyntel woods
PF Rasheed Wallce/kenyon martin (recently gotten a bad rap)
C Olowokandi
j/k notice how 3 of them use to be on same team...

MavsFanFinley
12-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Some teams will dump a player for lesser value because that's how desperate they are to get rid of them.

You won't catch Cuban pulling a trade unless the Mavs have the better deal always.

jayC
12-15-2003, 11:01 PM
I like the deal for both parties. Ricky Davis had worn his welcome out in Cleveland. But the guy has all-star calliber talent. Raef Lafrentz is supposed to be out for the year. Ricky Davis doesn't have to be the leader he did in Cleveland, and there are plenty of shots for him and Pierce.

Talent wise Cleveland got screwed. But might be a better team with the role players they acquired.

jayC
12-15-2003, 11:01 PM
I like the deal for both parties. Ricky Davis had worn his welcome out in Cleveland. But the guy has all-star calliber talent. Raef Lafrentz is supposed to be out for the year. Ricky Davis doesn't have to be the leader he did in Cleveland, and there are plenty of shots for him and Pierce.

Talent wise Cleveland got screwed. But might be a better team with the role players they acquired.

Jamisonite
12-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Im sure Boston will be a force in the East now...as for the Cavs...just keep waiting for Wagner to come back

MightyToine
12-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by: LRB
Boston definitely won on the talent end, but it remains to see if Davis will cause the Celts to have a nuclear meltdown in chemistry. Good thing Ainge is getting some players with great character to replace that malconent Walker. i/expressions/rolleye.gif

LMAO!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

yeah....Walker is SUCH a Hothead he makes Rasheed Wallace look like Pope John Paul..... i/expressions/rolleye.gif

Max Power
12-16-2003, 01:20 AM
It's kind of sad and yet funny that the Celtics traded Walker AWAY because he wouldn't play under control and then traded FOR Ricky Davis to fill that same role.

A once great franchise is now just spinning its wheels.

MavKikiNYC
12-16-2003, 08:50 AM
Clearly Chris Mihm was the key to this deal.

Gator Mike
12-16-2003, 09:18 AM
It's becoming more and more obvious what the Celtics are doing.

They're making moves for the future.

Just like the Antoine Walker deal, they're trading guys who aren't in their long-term plans (AW had two years left on his contract) for pieces of the puzzle who might be -- Raef (six years left on his deal), Jiri Welsch (three years left, age 23), first round pick, etc.

From the Celtics point of view the trade breaks down like this...

Gone:

SF Eric Williams -- Williams is a good player and a very good defender, but he's 31 and in the last year of his contract. The Celtics are going to be over the cap next year, so they couldn't replace him, anyway.

SF Kedrick Brown -- Extremely athletic wing who can jump out of the building and is a good defender, but... can't pass, can't handle the ball, can't make open jump shots... can't play.

C/F Tony Battie -- Good defensive center, but he'll never be confused with Dikembe Mutombo. Not only that, but he's 27 and he's already got bad enough knees that he won't be able to practice for the rest of the season.

Coming:

G/F Ricky Davis - Athletic small forward who has a bad reputation. But he's also got the ability to score 20 points per game and he'll run more than Williams did at the small forward position... and the Celtics want to run. He's 24 years old with five years left on his contract at a pretty affordable $25 million.

C Chris Mihm - Replaces the injured Raef LaFrentz for the rest of the season. He's in the last year of his deal, but he's only 24 and he'll be a restricted free agent at the end of the year. He's also playing the best basketball of his career, and is a better rebounder than Battie is. And the Celtics have been getting KILLED on the boards so far this year.

C Michael Stewart - Just a throw in to make the salaries work. He's not in their long-term plans, I wouldn't think.

There you go... three guys who weren't in their long-term plans for two guys who are. Makes sense to me.

Rod1975
12-17-2003, 06:55 AM
I'm just happy to see the Austin Westlake kid get the hell out of Cleveland and go to a real organization.