PDA

View Full Version : Knicks fire Scott Layden and hire Isiah Thomas

Hitman
12-22-2003, 11:27 AM
and you thought the Knicks organization couldn't possibly get any worse.

It has.

Speedy
12-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Scott Layden was fired Monday as president of the New York Knicks and Isiah Thomas was hired to replace him, a source told The Associated Press.

The move comes after New York missed the playoffs the past two seasons with a roster largely assembled by Layden. The Knicks are 10-18 this season, and recent speculation centered on coach Don Chaney possibly losing his job.

Instead, the odd man out is Layden, who replaced Ernie Grunfeld in the summer of 1999 after the Knicks were coming off an appearance in the NBA Finals.

The team scheduled an 3:30 p.m. ET news conference but would not specify what was being announced. An Eastern Conference official who spoke on condition of anonymity confirmed Layden was out and Thomas in.

Thomas has been out of the NBA since being fired over the summer by the Indiana Pacers, where he was the coach for three seasons.

"I want to stay in coaching," Thomas told the AP last month. "I enjoy it. I had a great deal of success helping shape and mold young people, making the playoffs with the youngest team to do it in 25 years. I got bit by the bug.

"I'll wait for my next opportunity," he said. "I wouldn't rule out college but I prefer the pro game."

Thomas' first task with the Knicks will be evaluating a roster with the league's highest payroll and ascertaining whether any of those massive contracts can be moved in a trade.

Layden's last major move was the four-team deal that sent Latrell Sprewell to Minnesota and brought Keith Van Horn to New York.

The deal has looked tilted in the Timberwolves' favor over the first two months of the season as Sprewell has averaged 17.2 points for Minnesota while Van Horn has struggled, averaging 14.8 points and getting benched for the fourth quarter of several recent games.

Prior to the Van Horn trade, Layden's biggest move came on draft night in 2002 when he sent Marcus Camby, Mark Jackson and the Knicks' lottery pick to Denver for Antonio McDyess.

McDyess fractured his kneecap in an exhibition game and missed the entire 2002-03 season, finally returning 11 games ago.

With the Knicks losing regularly while failing to draw the sellout crowds that were a staple during the 1990s, Layden became a lightning rod for criticism.

The anti-Layden feeling was so strong in New York that when LeBron James was selected with the overall No. 1 pick in the draft last June, commissioner David Stern's announcement of the selection was drowned out by a loud chant of "Fire Layden."

James Dolan, chairman of the team's corporate owner, Cablevision, notified Layden of the move late Monday morning, the AP's source said.

Layden did not answer a call placed to his cell phone.

MavKikiNYC
12-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Crock of shit.

Screw the Knicks.

Death to the Dolans.

Oh what fun, it will be to watch Thomas fall on his baby face.

Now THAT will be entertainment.

Chaney is next, Thomas will become coach, and KVH won't see the floor.

Mark those words.

Nash13
12-22-2003, 11:54 AM
That's not smart at all. Sure Layden wasn't the best GM, but he's twice as better as Thomas could ever be.

I think this decision was partially determined by the fans of NY.

Speedy
12-22-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Crock of shit.

Screw the Knicks.

Death to the Dolans.

Oh what fun, it will be to watch Thomas fall on his baby face.

Now THAT will be entertainment.

Chaney is next, Thomas will become coach, and KVH won't see the floor.

Mark those words.

Keith Van Horn will be staring in a new movie this spring, Austin Croshere Part 2.

dirno2000
12-22-2003, 12:48 PM
Good move.

He can't do any worse than Layden. Admittedly he was a failure as a coach, but he wasn't a bad GM. He drafted Stoudamire(sp) (ROY and better than any PG they've had since) and T-Mac. As long as he stays off the bench he'll be fine.

Evilmav2
12-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Hahaha... I had to watch Isaiah Thomas run my Pacers into an underachieving oblivion, and now the genius gets handed the reigns to one of my least-liked NBA franchises. This is a bad, bad move by the Knicks...

Drbio
12-22-2003, 09:14 PM
Excellent move to fire Layden.....

What the hell were they thinking though with Thomas?

Max Power
12-22-2003, 09:23 PM
The last time Isiah was an executive he put the Continental Basketball Assoc out of business. Can the Knicks go bankrupt?

MavKikiNYC
12-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by: Drbio
Excellent move to fire Layden.....

What the hell were they thinking though with Thomas?

I really hate to have to say anything in defense of Layden--him tradeing Nene for Dice made us enemies for life.

That said, he has already done much of the dirty work--the dumping of Sprewell, which was absolutely necessary for the team to advance. KVH is, IMO, a much better fit for the NYKs, with the possibility to get better. Sprewell was only going to accelerate in decline.

But I hate to some piece of slime turd like Thomas get to come in to a situation that's been totally sanitized for him. He should have to do his own work. But them's the breaks.

On the bright side, Thomas just doesn't have managerial mentality. He wants to coach like he's team captain, like he's one of the Badd Boyz, and the same way he drove a very talented Pacers team over the cliff, he'll eventually do the same with the NYKs--assuming, that is, that he is capable of identifying, acquiring and retaining talented players. He's a punk. A competitive punk, but a punk.

NYKs just went for the big PR move by pulling in Thomas. Give him time though, and he'll drag them back down.

TripleDipping
12-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Thomas the coach is bad, but he had a pretty good track record as a front office guy especially with the Raptors. I don't think he can do any worse than Layden... how is that possible anyway?

madape
12-26-2003, 11:58 AM
Thomas is a joke. His moves in Toronto should be a lesson to everyone on how NOT to manage a team. He put that squad in salary cap hell for the rest of the decade. As a coach of the Pacers, he mismanaged the most talented team in the Eastern Conference into a disappointing first round exit. He's a racist. Kiki is right, Van Horn will get frozen out in favor of turds like Mike Sweetney. I wouldn't be suprised to see a Van Horn for Vin Baker type trade before the deadline. Dolan has handed the reigns of one of the most prominent basketball franchises ever, over to a bumbling idiot.

Chicago JK
12-26-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by: madape
Thomas is a joke. His moves in Toronto should be a lesson to everyone on how NOT to manage a team. He put that squad in salary cap hell for the rest of the decade. As a coach of the Pacers, he mismanaged the most talented team in the Eastern Conference into a disappointing first round exit. He's a racist. Kiki is right, Van Horn will get frozen out in favor of turds like Mike Sweetney. I wouldn't be suprised to see a Van Horn for Vin Baker type trade before the deadline. Dolan has handed the reigns of one of the most prominent basketball franchises ever, over to a bumbling idiot.

Don't forget that Thomas almost by himself ruined the CBA. There was an article about it a few years ago in SI.

MavKikiNYC
12-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Trouble in Indy: Ron Artest is at it again. He so enraged placid-to-comatose coach Rick Carlisle that Carlisle benched him for the second half of a loss to the Nets on Saturday, got himself ejected from the game and launched into a rare tirade afterward. Artest had been complaining for weeks about the team's slow style of play and shouted at the coaches during a game against Minnesota to get him the ball more often. On Saturday he started flinging up wild three-pointers in an apparent protest.

"This style we're playing is so boring," Artest had said. "We're in first place in the East, but it's not real fun playing this style of basketball."

"Coach" Artest also added that the team didn't work hard enough in practice. "We're probably the only team that never practices contact," he said. "Once we start practicing a little harder, we'll be ready for the game."

After Saturday's game, Carlisle said his team, first in the East, is "immature" and has "some guys who just don't get it." The Nets, coming off their own problems of late, got a laugh as coach Byron Scott clucked: "I think we proved we're still the better team in the East."

Prediction: NBA will have a tampering investigation to see if Thomas is encouraging Artest to try to force a trade. Pacers will NEVER deal Artest to NYKs though.

dirno2000
12-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Sounds to me like Artest being Artest. I've been surprised by how well behaved he's been this year. The guy has mental problems and I hope he's still in counseling. It would surprise me if Isiah tried to trade for him since Artest was the one player that he truly could not control.

MavKikiNYC
12-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Dirno, Thomas never TRIED to control Artest--he actually encouraged him.

dirno2000
12-29-2003, 10:02 AM
I think Thomas was torn. He loved his intensity and quite frankly his dirty play. On the other hand I really think his act started to wear on Isiah as the year progressed. The coach actually started suspending him in the 2nd half of the season, but by that time the cat was out of the bag.