PDA

View Full Version : Madape...the player you wanted is available.

Chicago JK
12-25-2003, 09:47 AM
M, one of the players you wanted the Mavs to take with their first round pick is now available.

In the other move, Thomas released long-term project/7-6 center Slavko Vranes, selected with the 39th pick, to give him more roster "flexibility" in making trades
Thomas needed to open a roster spot on the 15-man unit so he can make a 2-for-1 trade or sign a free agent. Thomas began reaching out to GMs before Monday's press conference.

"I hope it's a trade," Thomas said. "It would be great."

The Serbian giant had a one-year deal at the league minimum of $366,000 but the pact didn't become fully guaranteed until Jan. 10. European scout Kevin Wilson, a close associate of Layden's, tabbed Vranes, Lampe and Milos Vujanic. Wilson is one of the most respected European scouts in the league and Thomas would be wise to keep him.

But it took Thomas just two Vranes workouts to decide he's not a fit.

"Obviously, Slavko is disappointed, but he's grateful [for] being given the opportunity," agent Marc Cornstein said. "Thankfully there's some interest [elsewhere]."

Regarding Vranes, 20, Thomas said, "If we're going to develop players, it has to be guys who are further along that can immediately help. I think right now this team can't afford to have long-range projects. We need projects, if something happens, they can step on the floor and play. If they're in a suit and tie, they have to help you now. We're not good enough to have the luxury of developing."

Bayliss
12-25-2003, 09:54 AM
I say sign him. He will be a project and probably not the answer for this year per se. But I would cut the Icelander to make room for him. You just can't teach his height. And given a choice between a long shot point guard or a long shot center... I'll take the center everytime.

Chicago JK
12-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by: Bayliss
I say sign him. He will be a project and probably not the answer for this year per se. But I would cut the Icelander to make room for him. You just can't teach his height. And given a choice between a long shot point guard or a long shot center... I'll take the center everytime.

The Mavs have 14 people on their roster so they could add him without cutting anyone. I remember the Mavs were intrigued with this kid, but I think we can all be greatful that the Mavs decided to go with Howard instead. He is probably 3-4 years from ever playing in the NBA and in all liklihood with never be more than Bruno Sundov. Although, lets bring him in and stash him with the icelander.

scorched03
12-25-2003, 10:34 AM
here's what a scout wrote on vranes

Strengths: Height is one of his major positives ... It's not every day a decently coordinated 7-foot-6 player comes along ... Despite his size he has above average mobility, capable of running the floor ... Has enough of a shot blocking presence that he causes many players to redirect their shots ... Does a good job of taking up space to congest the lane ... Above average help defender ... When one of his teammates gets beat off the dribble he is mobile enough to rotate over ... Shows soft touch around the basket in that he can convert on flip-in's or tip-in's ... Possess natural shot blocking instincts ... When receiving the ball in the low post he is does a good job of keeping the ball up high ... Aggressive player who will not back down from a challenge ... Smart, understands what his limits are on the court and rarely attempts to exceed them ... Above average rebounder due to his long arms and size ...

Weaknesses: Upper body strength must be added to ... Fundamentally he is a work in progress that is still learning the game ... Like most young shot blockers Vranes lacks discipline in terms of understanding what shots to go after ... Because of his over aggressiveness he has a tendency to be foul prone ... Post footwork is in need of refinement ... This could be a reason why he doesn't always get good position on the blocks ... Doesn't have great court awareness and his concentration can wavier at times ... Free throw shooting is below average at this point ... Needs to improve on his lateral movement. Too often he gets beat with simple pivot moves ... Has solid timing on his blocks but tends to bite on a lot of pump fakes ... Hands are decently soft but he needs to work on catching the ball more effectively ... Lacks the high level experience that many of his European counterparts have ... Offensively he needs to continue to develop his back to the basket moves ... Below average passer from the post ...

and

2002-03): Saw very limited minutes in Euroleague play, but did make an appearance in all 14 games. Played an average of 9.9 minutes per game in Euroleague play and averaged 3.8 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.2 blocked shots. Got more minutes in YUBA League play, where Buducnost finished fourth in regular season. Scored 13 points in a win over Beograd. Scored seven points vs. FMP Zeleznik.

Strengths: Runs up and down the court well for a player of his height. Has the ability to rebound and block shots. Offensive game is coming around, but his defensive development is ahead of his offensive development.

and another...

good height, good shot blocker, low bball IQ, still learning the game, foul prone, has no offensive skills, but good mobility, weights 260

hmmmmmmmmmm this low bball IQ thing hurts. definitely a major project

MavsFanFinley
12-25-2003, 12:38 PM
I doubt the Mavs sign him. It doesn't sound like he's ready to contribute this year at all, let alone a team that needs him to perform without mistakes.

The Mavs should give him a long look and maybe stash him away now so he can work with coaches and players. Get in the weight room and have him on the summer league team and see about next year.

But, we're talking about Nelson and centers in the same sentence so you can see where this is going. The Mavs will only get one if it's in a trade and comes cheaply.

Evilmav2
12-25-2003, 03:07 PM
I am too afraid to hope that we would pick up this new Giant. We need a shotblocker. We need size. Big Don has always been intrigued by the mismatches and defensive presence that giant centers can bring to the his teams, and bringing Slavko here just makes too much sense to me. If we have space for Steffanson, I don't see why we wouldn't for a mobile 7-6 shotblocker...

Please, Donnie... Bring this man to Dallas to learn the NBA game at the knee of another 7-6 giant- the all-time Dallas Mavericks' shot-blocking champion, Big Shawn Bradley.

Max Power
12-25-2003, 08:01 PM
The last roster spot would make a great place to stash a young big for a couple of seasons.

MikeB
12-26-2003, 04:21 AM
He seems to be definitely what the DR ordered. I would much rather have a 7-6 project than a 6-5 project.

madape
12-26-2003, 11:32 AM
There is no reason not to sign this guy. If we are saving the last roster spot for Sabonis, we should sign Vranes now, and cut Steffanson later. Vranes is a much better prospect at a position in which the Mavericks have no youth.

Isiah Thomas is a fool.

EricaLubarsky
12-27-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by: madape
There is no reason not to sign this guy. If we are saving the last roster spot for Sabonis, we should sign Vranes now, and cut Steffanson later. Vranes is a much better prospect at a position in which the Mavericks have no youth.

Isiah Thomas is a fool.

I.T. is a fool. He knows how to play the game but he doesnt know how to manage a team. Now he wants to get rid of Maciej Lampe too which is fine if he sucks but now that he has talked badly about him, no one will want to trade for him.

Now think about this. The last time we acquired someone over 7'5" it cost us the likes of Sam Cassell, George McCloud, and Jim Jackson. Vranes could be the replacement for Sean Bradleyin a few years and he would cost nothing- just rookie minimum. If he indeed sucks then drop him and we will only be out a few thousand.

We could also pitch to FOX a new reality TV show- Bradley and Vranes live together- and it can be a father-son thing where Bradley trains young Vranes. I can hear the music in my head as elder Bradley and young Vranes swing their feet over the dock edge

"just the two of us/ we can make it if try/ just the two of us/ you and I"

Max Power
12-27-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
We could also pitch to FOX a new reality TV show- Bradley and Vranes live together- and it can be a father-son thing where Bradley trains young Vranes. I can hear the music in my head as elder Bradley and young Vranes swing their feet over the dock edge

"just the two of us/ we can make it if try/ just the two of us/ you and I"

Gag - too sappy.

i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

kg_veteran
12-27-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm emailing Cuban. Vranes must be a Maverick.

Chicago JK
12-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I'm emailing Cuban. Vranes must be a Maverick.

I asked Fish to ask around with the Mavs to see if there is any interest there.

madape
12-27-2003, 12:39 PM
I heard rumors that they were interested in him around draft time. I don't see anything that would indicate they should have lost interest in him over the past few months.

LRB
12-27-2003, 01:21 PM
It would be totally stupid not to sign this guy. Even if we're going to sign Sabonis later we could simply release Best who so far is an almost total negative an is only making the vet minimum.

Evilmav2
12-27-2003, 02:33 PM
I just e-mailed Cuban as well.

Bringing Slavko to Dallas would be a wondrous, wonderful thing...

Smiles
12-27-2003, 04:41 PM
edit for silliness.

Evilmav2
12-27-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by: smile_at_me10
edit for silliness.

That's an edit I should make more often...