PDA

View Full Version : Houston Rockets

Nash13
12-25-2003, 11:26 PM
This must be said. This team is by far, the biggest fraud in all of sports. They seem like a poor man's version of the Spurs. All they do is wind the shot clock down to slow down the other team's momentum, and hope to make a shot. They know they suck on offense, so they try to slow down the momentum on offense.

They can't really beat a high scoring team(except this Laker game), or really a great defensive team. Van Gundy tries gimmicks like Nelson does, but Nelson is the second all time winningest coach. They seem like the opposite of Dallas. Too much defense and not enough offense.

Their game plan may work in the regular season, but despite what most analysis say, offense wins games just as much as defense. I guarantee no team in the playoffs, rather it be 1st or 8th seed, will be held to 82 ppg seven times.

bernardos70
12-26-2003, 12:16 AM
I also don't think much of that team, and much of their "defense" has to do with them dribbling the clock away and therefore allowing less possessions, while having less possessions themselves. So I agree with you, Nash.

Nash13
12-26-2003, 01:38 AM
And if you think about it, that's extremely bad for business. Fans don't want to see players take 24 seconds everytime. I believe they are the only team whom i haven't watched on the league pass. If they weren't on ABC and that Mavs game, and i wasn't so bored, i would've never seen them.

That kind of player is great for the eastern conference of four years ago, but Van Gundy will realize they can't consistently do against elite teams.

Walkerforthree
12-26-2003, 01:43 AM
I agree Nash, Yao, franchise and cat is their O

razap
12-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by: Nash13
This must be said. This team is by far, the biggest fraud in all of sports. They seem like a poor man's version of the Spurs. All they do is wind the shot clock down to slow down the other team's momentum, and hope to make a shot. They know they suck on offense, so they try to slow down the momentum on offense.

They can't really beat a high scoring team(except this Laker game), or really a great defensive team. Van Gundy tries gimmicks like Nelson does, but Nelson is the second all time winningest coach. They seem like the opposite of Dallas. Too much defense and not enough offense.

Their game plan may work in the regular season, but despite what most analysis say, offense wins games just as much as defense. I guarantee no team in the playoffs, rather it be 1st or 8th seed, will be held to 82 ppg seven times.

fraud? well you may consider it a 'fraud' but the spurs formula is proven successful. I think the rockets will get better. They play with a defense first mentality as opposed to the Mavs approach of an offensive mentality. Now I don't think they are going to win the championship this year but I think eventually they are going to be good and consistent team that has an opportunity to win a championship. AS far as holding teams to 82ppg per game in the playoffs successful teams do that all the time on a consistent basis. The Lakers and Spurs did when they each won championsips. Sometimes I think you are such a mavs homer that you must justify or take away from other teams becuase they are good at what the mavs need to get better at. Now I do think the Mavs are a better team than the Rockets but in the long run I think the Rockets are going to be more successful than the mavs because of the style they play. Van Gundy has led his team to the nba finals something Nellie has not done so to compare wins and losses or playoff successes is very subjective. Sort of like saying Lenny Wilkens is a much better coach than Van Gundy because of his record. Well I think Nellie has lost more games than VAn Gundy but that does not make him a worse coach.

Nash13
12-26-2003, 12:41 PM
fraud? well you may consider it a 'fraud' but the spurs formula is proven successful. I think the rockets will get better.

The Rockets are nothing like San Antonio. I compared them because they are both defensive minded. Regardless of what San Antonio held their opponents to, they could still average around 98ppg. They have offensive players like Ginobli, Duncan, Hedo, Horry, Parker, Mercer, etc.

The way Houston plays, it will be nearly impossible to win. Because by consistently bringing the shot clock down every possession, it hurts them in the crunch time of games when the need to score. That's also a way of admitting that they don't have good offense to play uptempo. They've tried it the past three season, and they still never got to the playoffs.

Sometimes I think you are such a mavs homer that you must justify or take away from other teams becuase they are good at what the mavs need to get better at.

If you ever read my post, i'm the least Mavs homer that you will probably ever meet. So what the Mavs need to get better at defense, i'll admit it. That doesn't mean i'm going to knock the Spurs because they play good defense.

i think coaches and analyst stress defense so much that they forget about offense. Much like what the Rockets.

Van Gundy has led his team to the nba finals something Nellie has not done so to compare wins and losses or playoff successes is very subjective.

He's led his Eastern Conference team to the finals when they played a half season. The Knicks had an asterik next to their Eastern Conference title just as the spurs had one besides their championship. And if i recall, that series ended in 5games.

Like Cuban said, if you don't win the championship, you're tied for last place.

Speaking of Van Gundy, didn't he walk out on his team when they started losing two seasons ago? And he decides to come back and coach a team with better players.